Missing persons search underway for couple who took ATVs into the Pine Barrens in Stafford

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great line:

Online, amateur sleuths played professional detectives.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If they got lost and tried to return home by heading towards the sound of vehicles along the road, they may have ran into some serious briers. If they fell or tried to go through them they obviously were in trouble. I have fallen into brier and could not get up easily. They apparently were not in the best of shape so they were dealing with something that was more than they could handle.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect the police asked the DMV for license photos as they have the blue background that is usually used. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: Boyd

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
If they got lost and tried to return home by heading towards the sound of vehicles along the road, they may have ran into some serious briers. If they fell or tried to go through them they obviously were in trouble. I have fallen into brier and could not get up easily. They apparently were not in the best of shape so they were dealing with something that was more than they could handle.
I was thinking that too. Depending on the time of day they left on the ATV (late afternoon maybe?), perhaps it broke down, they got turned around, it was cold and dark. In deep, dense thicket. I was in briars this morning with hip boots, and it's like being tied up with wire.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I haven’t read if a cell phone was found on the victims. I suspect that at least one of them would have had one and it could have been used to call for help or to map their way home. Very suspicious.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
See this:

"Early on, the ATV was found with Gary Parker’s shotgun still strapped to it. Lorraine Parker, who suffered from mobility issues, had left her cane at home. Neither of them owned a cellphone."

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
Has anyone ever heard of a cause of death for these two people?? It's been over three months so all autopsy findings should be completed.
It just seems so odd nothing was ever released.
I contacted The Pine Barrens Tribune and all they said was their reporter had reached out to the police and they were "very tight lipped".

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would think that if nothing was suspicious they would not release anything.

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Zeldon wasn't reported missing for a day or two and it had rained. From what we were told I can't help but think foul play was at work. This may be eerily similar but it hasn't rained yet to wash any scent away. I'm wondering what the shotgun was for. Shotgun deer is not in season yet. Maybe small game? Was the gun a spare or were they both intending to hunt?
and
It baffles me that the press can't make a simple map showing where they live, where they found the atv, where the searchers are looking (and why) etc. The updates are totally useless to those who would like to help. And how the devil can an ATV get stuck in a field as the article says?
Bob they probably leave that info out on purpose.It wouldn't occur to them that some of us may actually know those woods better then they do.I"d say let the dogs have a go first without messing up the scent but if the dogs can't find em let us have a go at it.Or TBJ but he is gettin old now.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
and

Bob they probably leave that info out on purpose.It wouldn't occur to them that some of us may actually know those woods better then they do.I"d say let the dogs have a go first without messing up the scent but if the dogs can't find em let us have a go at it.Or TBJ but he is gettin old now.
TBJ still has his office in the Waretown plaza. When I go get a slice of pizza next door he is usually just sitting at his desk. His Tracker School van is parked outside too. I have never seen anyone in there ever. Does he still have the camp set-up?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
and

They might shun volunteers because some of them might get lost...couldn't punch their way out of a wet paper bag.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
TBJ still has his office in the Waretown plaza. When I go get a slice of pizza next door he is usually just sitting at his desk. His Tracker School van is parked outside too. I have never seen anyone in there ever. Does he still have the camp set-up?
Don't know.No longer follow him.Haven't been out to his setup in about twenty years.I was a standard course grad in 82 but came away disillusioned with TBJ.Stopped at the school on Forked River about 2000,ain't been back since

Reactions: TommyP and Wick