More Eco Terrorism?

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
ok here we go, while I enjoy your laughing smiley, nothing is funny here. I was not there during the find nor did the guys that found the items have a GPS. I showed them a topo and they pointed out to me approximately where they were. As far as coordinates go, it all depends on which software you are using as to where it puts you. most will be in close proximity of each other, as you are in close proximity to where the items were found, just off a bit. Trust me, I have been travelling wharton and the pines in general for better than 25 years, I know where I'm going and where I've been.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It depends upon weather you used Google maps or Pine Barrens live maps. Kind of disconcerting.

I have mentioned this before and I don't want Ben to get mad over this. However, when you put coordinates into NJPB Live Maps, you just can't hit enter and have the proper location and coordinates display. Once the map displays, go into the URL and change the coordinates to the proper cords and then it will display the correct location. And to do this you must also highlight the URL and hit enter, and sometimes you have to do it twice. This is a flaw that has been in it from the beginning. You can see it for yourself in this photo.

Always remember to change those coordinates or you will be giving out the wrong locations.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/03242010/NJPBLM.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
To clarify this, here is exactly what you need to do to have the proper location display in NJPB Live Maps.

In the "Map It" area, type the coordinates using a coma and a space. So type 39.5000, -74.5000. Then hit enter. Now go into the URL and change the coordinates there to 39.5000 and -74.5000. Then highlight the URL text, hit enter, highlight the text again, hit enter, and now the proper location will display.

I am not sure why this is required but it is. Sorry Ben.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Trust me, I have been travelling wharton and the pines in general for better than 25 years, I know where I'm going and where I've been.

I started driving through the pines in 1968 on hunting trips to the Bulltown rye strips with my dad and his buddy and I started driving through the woods myself in 1975.
I think I have only a vague recollection of where I have been and I sometimes know where I am going.
Beer might have, or had something to do with that.
:)

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I started driving through the pines in 1968 on hunting trips to the Bulltown rye strips with my dad and his buddy and I started driving through the woods myself in 1975.
I think I have only a vague recollection of where I have been and I sometimes know where I am going.
Beer might have, or had something to do with that.
:)

Haha, my buddy are always saying how each time to the pines is like the first time, because we killed so many brain cells the last time that we don't remember it.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Sorry if anyone misunderstood my origional post, I did not mean to imply that it would be ok for a 4x4 er to be hurt, just that a booby trap is indiscriminant and can't effectivly be used to single out a 4x4er and that anyone could get hurt

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Aaron, thanks for clearing that up, I didn't think you meant it the way it was worded.
Ecampbell, That spot has been a popular spot for 4x4 trucks wayyyyy before the 90s.
Devilstoy, do you really know what trails you can go down legally? Does anyone?

Parks all across the nation have trail systems, Our state does not have this. All I have been told before is to don't go off of the main trail. Wharton state forest has law enforcement that has been running these trails for less time than me, and the only way they can try to justify what is a "main trail" is by opinion. I don't know about you but I believe laws should be enforced by solid case not an opinion. What we need to do. greenies, park police, state and 4x4 enthusiasts is sit down and figure this out, we need a trail system, we need a map with the trails that we can legally go down. This way if a summons is to be handed to me and I was to take it to court, the state could beat me by showing a map of the trails and pointing out where I was. As the law states right now, what is there to say
I was off of the main trail????????? Is there a map??????? Is there something written on paper???????? Was there signs on either end of the trail??????? Is there a trails system??????? NO THERE IS NOT!!!!!!!! Why do we have to be the oddball???????
I'm willing to sit down at a roundtable with anyone and get this figured out. We have access to mapping software and all. Every person who enters the forest, being a reptile fanatic, bird watcher, 4x4 enthusiast, horse rider, enduro ruder, law enforcement, hunter, geocacher, ancora escapee should be able to have access to this map and know if what they are doing is illegal. They should not have to worry if a ticket happy Park Police personell is going to have a different OPINION. Once again my cell is on 24 hours please feel free to contact me at anytime if you have logical advice. I do not want to get into a 12 year old pissing match of if you like the sport or not. I want to solve a problem that is ever growing.
Lets quit the crying :cry: and work together on resolving something. If you sit back in the corner and only stick your head out to piss and moan it's eventually going to get cut off.

Sorry for this being off topic from the original post and being so lengthy, but something has to be done....soon, and this post seems to have quite a bit of attention. Just remember sitting back and being quiet makes your thoughts worthless and is just a waste of the human brain which is sorta sad

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Trail System

I guess that is what it will come to, just like everything else in this country. Instead of the responsible majority being in the public eye leading, and being able to choose what to do and where to go, instead we need to be controlled by the irresponsible minority that always has the public eye and be told what to do and hand held by the govornment.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I guess that is what it will come to, just like everything else in this country. Instead of the responsible majority being in the public eye leading, and being able to choose what to do and where to go, instead we need to be controlled by the irresponsible minority that always has the public eye and be told what to do and hand held by the govornment.

So you believe you can ride anywhere without impunity?

Guy

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org

Whoa hold up a second. Youre taking what I'm saying completely wrong. I'm not looking to be controlled. I'm just looking to not be fined for going down a trail that appears on a GPS but due to one officers Opinion i can get a summons. Believe me I grew up in Atco on the corner of Tremont and Martha with Wharton being my back yard and running the trails with my pops for 25 years. i remember what it was like out there before all the city idiots started coming down and the only ranger you'd come across here and there was Ranger Murphy. I used to run a sandrail back there with no problems when I was 11. The thing is so many morons have gone out and bought a truck on 44s or a jeep and think they can go anywhere in the woods. the truth is that they are clueless and need some guidence.

MartGBC

Scout
Sep 10, 2008
Glendora
Trail Markers

Back in 1980 my friends and I were having lunch during deer season. A ranger came along and said we were in an area that no motor vehicles were permited. We stated that there were no signs stating that and that we have never seen any. He then said that there were pink painted markers on the trees and that means a trail and no motor vehicles. After that we never have gone dowe anything with pink markers. We also will ask a ranger if we see new markers to be sure it is legitimate.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Back in 1980 my friends and I were having lunch during deer season. A ranger came along and said we were in an area that no motor vehicles were permited. We stated that there were no signs stating that and that we have never seen any. He then said that there were pink painted markers on the trees and that means a trail and no motor vehicles. After that we never have gone dowe anything with pink markers. We also will ask a ranger if we see new markers to be sure it is legitimate.

Was that part of the Batona Trail? The Trail often shares a road with traffic.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org

If thats the case there is plenty out there that I could go play in and people wouldn't be to happy lol. I can agree that this is a good way of marking legal trails. this way it can abe announced any trail marked pink is off limits or any color of choice for that matter.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
If thats the case there is plenty out there that I could go play in and people wouldn't be to happy lol. I can agree that this is a good way of marking legal trails. this way it can abe announced any trail marked pink is off limits or any color of choice for that matter.

The markes would just be ignored. They have brown posts on the Batona Trail with signs that say no horses, bikes, ect I see horse and bike track on the trail as they passed the sign.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
they won't be ignored if $1000 tickets are given out for going off the legal trails. I'm talking 4x4 people and everyone else. In order for a trail system to work it has to be enforced.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Guy - Rediculous question, NO, I am not pompus and believe I can go anywhere I please as some do,or that I own the pines as some do. I do believe that with discretion most know where they should and should not be without it being on a piece of paper or in a computer program. Maybe I'm putting too much faith in humanity and have too high of expectations.

Dave- You gre up next door to my aunt. I'm not questioning anyone's tenure or knowledge of the pine barrens or what we all think we know as far as trails go. As far as control, that is exactly what it will be with a defined system. While I do agree that things back there are out of control right now and something needs to be done, I do not think a locked in defined system is the answer either, however, I am willing to listen to your point of view as you have more involvement with the political end of this than I do. If something can be done to have a system with more than 3 roads, so be it.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I WILL NEVER AND I REPEAT NEVER support or work towards something that hugely impacts the areas we can go. believe me I'm all about trail riding and I'm all about having my seats ubder water and I'm all about only being able to see out of the wiper marks on my windsheild. its the hobby I love the most. As you have defined in your own posts, there is a overpopulation of morons inflating the state forest witheir stupidity and it shows. the last thing i want is to only be able to cruise trails like rairtan, sandy causeway, and burnt mill.
remeber back in the 80s when Toyota heaven used to be arround. on Tremont ave the mailbox is still their with about 100 riung gears around the mailbox post. these guys had mostly 38"s and 40"s on their yota and all they did was go down trails that were already in existance. they wheeled the snot out of their trucks. This is the way it should be. The ones that mow down trees and brush and just 2 wheel at full throttle through a wet meadow are the ones that are killing our hobby. It's only getting worse for almost every day there is a out of towner that comes around, sees the pines and becomes a tree hugger and autmatically think they own the pines, not taking into any consideration for the locals and how things have always been. We have always taken care of the forest. we didn't need organized clean ups for the political rah rah bullshit or any of the other crap that has become the newest green fad