Most Remote Area in the Pines

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel
I have Verizon for cell service and it works for me just about everywhere in the pines. Wasn’t that way 20 years ago, but most if not all of the gaps have been filled since then.
Yeah, I think Verizon is a bit superior to AT&T. The coverage is a bit more spotty in my experience with AT&T.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Verizon definitely has better coverage in the pine barrens. T-mobile doesn't even work consistently at Goshens Pond, let alone in the center of Wharton. When I camp at Goshen's I sometimes have to drive down to where the Atsion cabins are to make a phone call. There's service for maybe a mile or two east of 206 and then again on the other side at Washington's Tavern. In between, and all the way down to the beginning of Batsto Lake, and north almost to the Carranza monument, is a big dead zone. Tmobile is cheap for multiple lines, which is why I have it, but bad for exploring in the woods.

Speaking of Goshen's Pond campground-- the water from that hand pump by the main parking area is both safe to drink and tastes great. I'm normally suspicious of things like that, but my daughter, who likes to play with the pump, once decided she wanted to drink the water. She was really persistent about it and I finally relented, figuring the diarrhea wouldn't kick in until we decamped and drove home the next morning. We both ended up drinking a bunch of it, and it is perfectly fine and tastes better than the chlorinated tapwater you're used to.

That campground, despite being labelled "wilderness camping" is far from it-- you'll see lots of cars as well as the state park police driving by all night long.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
... She was really persistent about it and I finally relented, figuring the diarrhea wouldn't kick in until we decamped and drove home the next morning. We both ended up drinking a bunch of it, and it is perfectly fine and tastes better than the chlorinated tapwater you're used to.

Biggest sand filter in the world. I don't know why you doubted it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you travel around a bit there are plenty of remote places other than Wharton. We were on the side of a steep hill yesterday along the Webb's Mill Branch that made me feel remote. Wharton may have the distance advantage but many other places have that remote feel and actuality to them.

Reactions: bobpbx

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
I have been paranoid ever since contracting Giardiasis in Mexico a few years back. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving! This one did for about six weeks after I got home. Like, every ten minutes for those six weeks.

Also, the antiparasitic drug Flagyl is the only cure but while taking it, it makes you feel even worse. I had this awful metallic taste in my mouth and developed all kinds of weird sores in my mouth for a few days that made it impossible to eat. Apparently those are common side effects. It's still better than the parasite infection-- people die all the time from extreme diarrhea.

Biggest sand filter in the world. I don't know why you doubted it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have been paranoid ever since contracting Giardiasis in Mexico a few years back. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving! This one did for about six weeks after I got home. Like, every ten minutes for those six weeks.

Also, the antiparasitic drug Flagyl is the only cure but while taking it, it makes you feel even worse. I had this awful metallic taste in my mouth and developed all kinds of weird sores in my mouth for a few days that made it impossible to eat. Apparently those are common side effects. It's still better than the parasite infection-- people die all the time from extreme diarrhea.

I can understand your hesitation.

Jennifer

Feb 11, 2018
Waretown nj
Hmm, would that be "most remote" or "most secluded"... or "most inaccessible" maybe? :)

I would place a much more subjective slant on it... places which seem like the end of the earth, where it's hard to remember you're in New Jersey. It probably doesn't meet your definition, but this general area seems "remote" to me:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.772868,-74.465933&spn=0.022316,0.037422&t=k&hl=en

Hey.. I'm new to the area and forum. I'm asking where is the best place to go with my Cherokee, and also fish?

T

Toothy Critter

Look in NJPB Maps. Anywhere in the pines that you find a legal road to water in the Pines is a potential Pickerel hole. I have fished just about every legal spit of water in the Pines over the last 50 years. If you can get there and there is water, chances are there are toothy critters. A satellite view with various dates is best so that you can see if the spot had been dried out recently. Have fun doing your homework. Obviously if the land is private, then respect that. If you are unsure, ask on this forum...that's what I do.

Reactions: Jennifer

Jennifer

Feb 11, 2018
Waretown nj
Are you willing to walk or do you want to stay within sight of the Cherokee? Are you fishing for pickerel? bass or something else?

Bass is where I'm at lol, i like to wander away from my jeep. I'm unsure of these maps so knowing where i can and can not go before hand is not clear to me yet.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Don't know about fishing but my favorite spot in all of Wharton is the trestle at Hampton Station. Drive to the south end of Riders Switch and walk 500 feet through the woods. Your jeep will be a little muddy but the big scary puddle is less than a foot deep. Beautiful spot and the fact that you have to walk there has left it pretty well unspoiled.

Jennifer

Feb 11, 2018
Waretown nj
Look in NJPB Maps. Anywhere in the pines that you find a legal road to water in the Pines is a potential Pickerel hole. I have fished just about every legal spit of water in the Pines over the last 50 years. If you can get there and there is water, chances are there are toothy critters. A satellite view with various dates is best so that you can see if the spot had been dried out recently. Have fun doing your homework. Obviously if the land is private, then respect that. If you are unsure, ask on this forum...that's what I do.

Could you tell me the secrets of knowing whats legal on these maps.... i feel like a guppie in these pines lol i really enjoy bass fishing. Thanks so much for the help!!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Now Bass I"d stay toward the larger lakes Like Oswego,Pakim Pond Absegami.I know plenty of places where there are pickerel that are way out in the Boonies but not being a Fisherman in a long time I"d wait for a reply from the fish master Woodjin.Lotta places for Bass down my way but I"m at the extreme southwestern corner of the Barrens. Batsto lake might even be a good place? If your down my way I"d say Union lake or Menantico WMA which is where my best friends Dad caught the state record back in 1980 of ten lbs and it still stands.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Could you tell me the secrets of knowing whats legal on these maps.... i feel like a guppie in these pines lol i really enjoy bass fishing. Thanks so much for the help!!
I"d say if you have google earth you could download Boyd's maps and open it on Google earth and it would give you all the property owners.I have the open space map here but it is a tiff file and i can't post it here. I am going to post a link to a site that might help you.http://njgin.state.nj.us/oit/gis/NJ_TaxListSearch/ and Yes! I found the open space online for you
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/greenacres/ga50/osmap.html
This will start you out.I"ll try to come up with more links but these should get you started as long as you can read maps.