Music for the day

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
When I was younger, I did a couple years standing before a lathe and a milling machine. I made blanks for better machinists to finish with the detail work. Before that, for a year I drove a forklift and filled orders at a wire and cable company in Mount Holly. So, I do know blue collar, and this song popped into my head today in the woods. I listened to an album that had this song on it over and over many years ago. This song is about a machinist in Springfield Amory, making weapon parts. He loves it, is proud of his work, and wants to stay there until his "expiration day", even though it does not pay much -- he has to sell eggs and chickens on the side. Widespread Panic is the band.

Last edited:
Reactions: RednekF350 and John

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Kris was an amazingly talented songwriter and performer. Sunday Morning Coming Down is one of my favorites, sung by him and perhaps made more famous by Johnny Cash. Another one of my favorites is Here Comes That Rainbow Again. Not often played, but one of Kris' simplest songs and one of his best.

Studio version with a with with B&W clips from the Grapes of Wrath, supposedly the inspiration for Kris to write the song:

Live version with Kris himself:

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I always liked him, sorry to see him go. Had no idea he was that old (88). And I didn't realize he wrote "Sunday morning" - I learn something new at NJPB every day! There was an old episode of Beavis and Butthead where they're watching the Johnny Cash video and Butthead says "Monday morning's no picnic either!" :D

Johnny Cash also sings that song in an episode of Columbo at a party after he kills his wife, until her brother shows up and punches him!

Reactions: bobpbx

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I always liked him, sorry to see him go. Had no idea he was that old (88). And I didn't realize he wrote "Sunday morning" - I learn something new at NJPB every day! There was an old episode of Beavis and Butthead where they're watching the Johnny Cash video and Butthead says "Monday morning's no picnic either!" :D

Johnny Cash also sings that song in an episode of Columbo at a party after he kills his wife, until her brother shows up and punches him!
I learned a life lesson from that song Boyd. I developed the habit of always selecting my cleanest dirty shirt before leaving the house!

• Haha
Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
When I was in college (in the 1960's), one day my roommate announced that blue jeans and a blue work shirt were his new "uniform", went out and bought a drawer full of the same. Now, almost 60 years later, that isn't so different from my current "fashion sense". When I first started working at Opera Philadelphia in 1993, the boss announced that we would start having "casual Fridays" for the summer. Then he added, "... that means on Friday, everybody can dress like Boyd does every day". Good thing they needed me! :D

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Kris Kristofferson wrote this song too. In my opinion, Ray Price did it best. What a performance and voice. Very sad, emotional song. Many of us have been there.
My mother loved that song and she loved to sing along to it. She had a beautiful voice and she could sit down at a piano and play songs by ear. She also loved anything sung by Eddy Arnold. I can still hear her singing Make My World Go Away.

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd