N.J. Natives new Book

Jerseyman

Piney
Sep 10, 2003
West New Jersey
This book identifies 19 abandoned ruins across New Jersey? What a crying shame! I suppose each chapter is complete with expicit instructions on finding the ruins. Well, here's to 19 more ruined ruins like Brooksbrae. What a terrible idea!

Jerseyman

• Wow
Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
I have mixed feelings on it.I realize there are many egg heads with paint cans at the ready,relic hunters as well. But on the other hand I myse;lf have found many neat places from books,The barrens being one of them 0riginally through Parnes canoeing book and then branched out from there with the help of even more books and the ever present topo maps back before available aerials. I understand her wanting to share and the bunkers I don't worry much about,their pretty much indestructible and are not completely graffitti free anyway, You can't derive to them anymore so both require a walk and hopefully won't be trashed too bad.used to be worse but since orads became unusable to automobiles the trash has decreased.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I vaguely remember a member either arranging to, or telling us about the plan to bury an Iron Forge site in deep south jersey. The reason was to save it from pot hunters. I thought it was an odd thing to do at the time.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
I know that Aetna and Cumberland furnaces are both caovered over in a hill of dirt.I believe Martha is too. Was this done on purpose top preserve them?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
Martha was for sure. Gabe and I visited Aetna a few years ago and it looked more like it collapsed and hot grown over. People probably raided it for bricks over the years.
last I was at Aetna was maybe seven,eight years ago.It looked like a fifteen ft volcano with some red brick sticking out of the surface on top.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Pieces of Martha are also buried at a different location. The state took them out to save them.

Reactions: manumuskin