N.J. Natives new Book

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have mixed feelings on it.I realize there are many egg heads with paint cans at the ready,relic hunters as well. But on the other hand I myse;lf have found many neat places from books,The barrens being one of them 0riginally through Parnes canoeing book and then branched out from there with the help of even more books and the ever present topo maps back before available aerials. I understand her wanting to share and the bunkers I don't worry much about,their pretty much indestructible and are not completely graffitti free anyway, You can't derive to them anymore so both require a walk and hopefully won't be trashed too bad.used to be worse but since orads became unusable to automobiles the trash has decreased.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I vaguely remember a member either arranging to, or telling us about the plan to bury an Iron Forge site in deep south jersey. The reason was to save it from pot hunters. I thought it was an odd thing to do at the time.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Pieces of Martha are also buried at a different location. The state took them out to save them.

Riley327

Jan 24, 2021
Medford, NJ
Does anyone know about the ruins of Fries Mill by Manumuskin. I’ve been a few times. There’s curre a disagreement with a group on Facebook about which are the ruins. I always thought the fireplaces and various foundations were them but one person said I’m wrong.
1615152443761.jpeg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Last edited:

Riley327

Jan 24, 2021
Medford, NJ
Thank you so much! That is perfect. I was right. The chimney and others were part of Fries Mill and the houses workers lived in. The person that disagreed said it was part of a camp. The first map shows said camp on other side of Manumuskin. Some people online have claimed that Fries Mills was along the railroad tracks. I’m not sure what those ruins are. Some type of depot By the looks of it. Thanks for the ammo! lol

Reactions: Piney2LA

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That is one of the two chimneys at the old fries mills tavern otherwise known as Potters cabin.The actual town of fries mills with several nice cellars and mill foundations is maybe 300 yards north at the intersection with Fries Mill rd. There is a map placard there that is quite dirty there but still legible. They used to take us to Potters cabin which still stood back then (70"s) right up till early 90;'s when I was in camp Hollybrook as a seven year old kid in 71.There was a piano in the cabin back then.They told us Old man Potter was murdered and his ghost haunted the place.Took us little kids out there at night to terrorize us.I loved it.
I lost the location of camp Hollybrook because I was quite small but upon getting my license in 81 I happened to be driving past the entrance and recognized it. I pulled in (that was before garrison built his house back in there) and I took the walk back to Potters.I found two old Readerts Digests from WW2 times and took them.They were in the Cellar by the pump house.The roof was still good then so the books were in good shape but the piano had been taken or destroyed.In the early 90's someone set the cabin on fire and burnt it to the ground. Lot of history back there,this just scratches the surface of it.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I've never actually been there, but have this historical structure on my 2020 map (not sure of the source). Is that it?

https://online.boydsmaps.com/#17/39.34834/-74.96003/pines2020

A clearing is visible there on the 1930 aerials

https://online.boydsmaps.com/#17/39.34834/-74.96003/njgin1930

also 1970 aerials

https://online.boydsmaps.com/#18/39.34832/-74.96014/njgin1970
Boyd your crosshairs are on the old mill.It's been gone for many many years but the foundation is still there.The field to the north has a foundation in it and I forget the name of the person that lived there but have the info some where.That house was lived in right up to the 50;'s or 60';s but the other cellars are from a much older time.

Reactions: Boyd