New Jersey's Forgotten People

weaver

May 3, 2004
Mt. Holly
pineyleanpe.com
piney lenape

Hello everyone, I'm the basket weaver from pineylenape.com , this site is by my Brother Thomas & my Son Steven.We really are nice people, honest.Our server is down right now but this will get fixed.If you have any questions about the site you can email Steven at pineylenape@netscape.net this is his email,he is a nice guy.The Brotherton Reservation was New Jersey's only Indian Reservation.As for Rankokas,you should contact New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry about that subject.I like this forum its nice
In Peace, Weaver

B

bach2yoga

pineylenape said:
njvike said:
bach2yoga said:
This is probably one of the most interesting Piney sites I have come across.
http://www.pineylenape.com/
Renee

Of the people I remember most about the Pines, Indian Ann is right up there with the rest.
I know why it so interesting to you and alot of others because you did not learn all your history . it's a little upsetting I know!!! ha ha ha!!

My family has a lock of hair from an ancestor of ours a ways back who was a lenape. Unfortunately, her husband was ashamed of her heritage and when the 1900 census came around he invented a new name for her. There are no birth records or otherwise for her, because of course, she never existed by the name "Mary"...yes, I know, everyone has their own Native American legend and you have to be 1/8th to prove it. I'm not 1/8th of anything. Just a mutt of French Canadian, Bavarian, Welsh, Irish, Native American, and a million other things with no one in particular standing out more than any other..but don't tell me I can't claim to have Welsh or Irish ancestery because I don't have 1/8th in me either. I also know that the Native American tribes were as different as the Germans were from the French and English and Spanish and that each tribe needs to be referred to by its own unique name.

I did an extensive college paper on matriliny in the Lenape tribe and spent a many hours researching books in Bridgeton's Woodruff collection and also the Lenape center in Bridgeton.

At one point I had expressed an interest in having my daughter mentored in the old ways through a group called Wisdom Keepers. However, though I made several calls to the Lenape center I found the same thing that I ran into when I did my paper: many of them were close-lipped. They were generally all very willing to tout the injustices and how they should be treated, but very few were willing to share any information about their culture.

I must say, your attitude is a little upsetting and puts me off. I found your website because of a reference on an archeological list and was impressed with it. Poking fun at people and automatically assuming an offensive stance on a list on which you are a newcomer to is not exactly the way to ingratiate yourself. Why not drop the offensiveness and teach us instead so we can learn?

Renee

B

bach2yoga

piney lenape

weaver said:
Hello everyone, I'm the basket weaver from pineylenape.com , this site is by my Brother Thomas & my Son Steven.We really are nice people, honest.Our server is down right now but this will get fixed.If you have any questions about the site you can email Steven at pineylenape@netscape.net this is his email,he is a nice guy.The Brotherton Reservation was New Jersey's only Indian Reservation.As for Rankokas,you should contact New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry about that subject.I like this forum its nice
In Peace, Weaver

Weaver,
It is nice to meet you. I looked at your baskets when the site was up. They are gorgeous! I have never seen such work. I was absolutely amazed and impressed. So much nicer than anything I've ever seen. It looks like a lot of careful work and loving care goes into your work.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

piney lenape

weaver said:
In Peace, Weaver

Weaver,
I have heard before that Rancocas was not a real reservation. However it does seem to do a good job of promoting at least a superficial knowledge of the Lenape and other local Native Americans and gets people interested. To me that is a good thing.
Tell us, the people who participate in these festivals--the dancers, musicians, etc., where do they come from? I don't mean do they live in longhouses-I'm not that naive-I mean are they members of tribes, or is everything there bogus?
I'd be interested in sending you the college paper I wrote to see what you think of it, see if there are errors of fact perpetrated in it based on the research I found.
Renee

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
pineylenape,

I would apologize for my post upsetting you, but I have no desire to. I am not a native and have never professed to be, though I am interested in the history and I thank you for pointing me in the right direction to learn more about the history of the native people. I had never heard that Powhattan is not a "real" reservation. I did not mean to give you any bull, and I have a deep respect for the native american people and disgust for what my race has done to them, but don't mistake eloquence for meakness, I'll not be taking any "bull" either.

Brian

B

bach2yoga

irishman said:
and besides.....I'm a vegan...ha-ha!

Brian

funny!
I'm not vegan, but have been vegetarian most of my life.
Renee

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
I was vegetarian for awhile before going full vegan, I love it. Some people look at it like I'm sacrificing something but except for the occaional craving for cheese I never regret it at all. Shopping can be a wee bit complicated on occaision cause there are animal products in EVERYTHING, but it's worth it.

Ok, what's your favorite, tofu or tempeh?

Brian

B

bach2yoga

tofu, definitely. can make that stuff taste like just about anything. closest you're gonna get to mac and cheese!
I make a mean vegan chili with all different colors and textures of beans and peppers-red, yellow, and green, chilis, spices and a touch of a secret ingredient....cocoa powder! Learned it from Sarah Summerville of Unexpected Wildlife.
Renee

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
cool! I make an awesome chili myself, love to cook. I have heard of putting chocolate in it before I'll have to give it a try sometime. I hated tofu when I first tried it, till I learned how to cook it, now I use it all the time. One of my favorites is a stacker with a grilled portabella mushroom cap, a big slice of grilled pepper, grilled red onion, and tofu marinated in cumin, garlic, and whatever herbs you like. Stack em all up and serve it with a fire roasted tomato sauce or a roasted red pepper sauce.....wow!!!

Brian

B

bach2yoga

irishman said:
cool! I make an awesome chili myself, love to cook. I have heard of putting chocolate in it before I'll have to give it a try sometime. I hated tofu when I first tried it, till I learned how to cook it, now I use it all the time. One of my favorites is a stacker with a grilled portabella mushroom cap, a big slice of grilled pepper, grilled red onion, and tofu marinated in cumin, garlic, and whatever herbs you like. Stack em all up and serve it with a fire roasted tomato sauce or a roasted red pepper sauce.....wow!!!

Brian

aw, man, not even fair, I'm salivating!!!
I had some great brownies the other day made with tofu...I haven't tried making them myself yet.
I haven't found a comparable one to my cheesecake recipe, though, which is real light and fluffy.
My family as a whole likes soy products--we drink vanilla and chocolate soy milk, and we LOVE edamame (fresh soybeans) steamed with star anise and sprinkled with coarse kosher salt or tamari sauce.

Renee

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
I've only had endamame a few times but i loved em, where do you find it? Man, cheesecake was my thing.....I haven't even tried making it from soy though. I use vanilla soy milk on me oatmeal in the morning, along with some walnuts, cinnamon and fruit. I have some asaparagus and thin slices of eggplant, sliced lengthwise, in the fridge right now marinating in balsamic vinegar, sea salt, pepper, and oregano. When I get home I'll wrap the asparagus in the eggplant and roast em, serve em' over either brown rice or organic pasta.......and people think this stuff is boring!!!
Brian

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
Generally, a vegetarian does not eat meat but may eat dairy, eggs, or other products that contain some ingredients that are animal derived. A vegan does not eat anything animal derived at all, no meat, fish, seafood, dairy, eggs, or anything that may use animal ingredients in the production (white sugar, most beer and wine, etc.) Vegans also do not generally wear fur. leather, or wool.
Now on to why..personal choice. Differant people have differant reasons. Some site health concerns, the average vegan has a cholesterol level of 120, vegetarian 160. Some do it for environmental reasons, the land and resources used for meat production is unbelieveable. And some do it for moral reasons, because for some the suffering caused to animals during factory farming and slaughter is too much to turn a blind eye to.
Me? a little of the first two. I was a bodybuilder for a while, ingesting large amounts of animal protein, shakes, creatine, all that crap, and my cholesterol shot up to 275, and I'm only 31. Next, I'm an environmentalist and I had a problem with the practices of the meat industry.
But mostly, I just have a problem eating animals. I'm not a preacher about it, to each their own. But personally, I have way too big of a soft spot for these creatures to hack them up and throw them on a grill. Even if farming practices were made more "humane", I could not at this point bring myself to go back to a carnivorous diet.
There it is, let me know if there's anything else you're curious about, I've just touched on a few of the reasons, be glad to talk about it
Brian

I don't want you to starve to death but isn't more land used for growing produce? :D

I was really just curious. I've ofter heard the terms vegan and vegitarian and always assumed they were the same.
One more question I guess. What animal products are used in white sugar, beer and wine?

Steve

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
ha-ha, yeah I get that one all the time...but nope, meat production uses huge quantities of land, water, and causes crazy amounts of pollution. I don't mean to be vague, I'll cite the exact figures if anyone cares.

It's cool, anytime your curious I obviously like talking about it, long as people keep an open mind.

White sugar uses a process called bone charring to make it white, where it is essentially bleached with the furnace blasted bones of slaughterhouse animals. A few brands don't, but they're the minority

Beer and wine goes through a fining process to clarify the final product. The fining agents used are most often blood, egg whites, sturgeon fish stomach lining, and casein ( a milk protein). Vegan wine is really hard to find but there are a few beers on the market that are vegan..beck's, heinken, bud, harp, and grolesch. That was a tough one cause man I used to love my guinness, but I can deal with heineken
Brian

pineylenape

May 3, 2004
N.J Pinelands
pineylenape.com
pineylenape said:
PLEASE LEARN ABOUT ALL THE LENAPE HISTORY IN NEW JERSEY. I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH LENAPE AFFAIRS , HISTORY, FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS. DO NOT THINK IAM A GOING TO TAKE ANY BULL---- FROM ANY NON-NATVES OR SO CALL NATIVES . WE ARE RECOGNIZED BY REAL NATIVE LENAPE OF NEW JERSEY NANTICOKE-LENAPE,SAND HILL-LENAPE,RAMAPO-LENAPE, DELAWARE NATION WESTERN OK. DELAWARE TRIBE EASTERN OK. MUNSEE NATION (ONTARIO) MORAVIANTOWN(ONTARIO . SO PLEASE LEARN ALL FACTS OF HISTORY THAT YOU MAY NOT KNOW. BY THE WAY LINDA POOLAW IS THE GRAND CHIEF OF ALL THE LENAPE, I HAVE KNOWN HER A LONG TIME. IT WAS WHEN I WAS 12 YEARS OLD IAM 42 YEARS TODAY. SHE IS THE MY MOTHER SHE CALLS ME HER SON.[/img]
hello pinelands this is the only post that might be loud(Sorry Agin) will not use caps I did not know this is shouting will not happen agin .Did not mean to upsets anyone. i can be a nice guy!!!