New Jersey's Forgotten People

B

bach2yoga

Sue,
Weaver had mentioned teaching basketry in a PM, and I've been mulling it over, thinking that it would be a wonderful thing to learn. Perhaps it might be a really nice to do together...you up for two of us, Weaver?
Weaver, I did get my paper printed out for you.
Renee

weaver

May 3, 2004
Mt. Holly
pineyleanpe.com
Yes, I think I can take the pressure. I have been teaching for over 25 years and enjoy getting people started in basket making. I have another say, I like to teach people how to be basket makers not just makers of baskets. Meaning I do not teach from patterns. I hate patterns. I like to make people think. I would find it honor to teach anyone who has posted over a 1000 post on any forum on this stupid machine. IN PEACE weaver

B

bach2yoga

weaver said:
Yes, I think I can take the pressure. I have been teaching for over 25 years and enjoy getting people started in basket making. I have another say, I like to teach people how to be basket makers not just makers of baskets. Meaning I do not teach from patterns. I hate patterns. I like to make people think. I would find it honor to teach anyone who has posted over a 1000 post on any forum on this stupid machine. IN PEACE weaver

Laughs, I really needed that! Thank you! But truthfully, Weaver, anyone can type. Not anyone can do what you do. I would be honored. It's very strange, I've only spoken a few times to you, but I sense that you would be much more of a teacher than you even realize.

You don't know how much pressure it would be, I'm not very able that way! My 9 yr old has been learning to knit, and I'm envious! I would like to learn something that uses my hands to create. All the better if I can do it in natural materials.

This would be in Rancocas where your shop is?

Renee

weaver

May 3, 2004
Mt. Holly
pineyleanpe.com
Renee, I would like to give it a try. I have classes on Wed. and Thurs PM 7-9PM just let me know. You know a good teacher also learns from their students. Yes this would be in y Shop in Rancocas Woods Village of SHops in Mt. Laurel NJ IN PEACE weaver

Renee,

I could give you some pointers too. Basket weaving was the only merit badge I got while in the Boy Scouts. I may be a little rusty though, that was over 35 years ago.
( I hate saying that I've done things over 35 years ago. Makes me feel old. Wait! I am old. Oh well.)

Old Steve

B

bach2yoga

Here's a recent article of interest about a site near me that presently has paperwork filed for a national historic listing:

By MILES JACKSON
Staff Writer; mjackson@thedailyjournal.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staff photo/Craig Matthews
Preservation New Jersey says uncontrolled digging at Indian Head, a site along the Maurice River in Deerfield and Vineland, is endangering the artifact-rich area.

On the Net

For more information on this year's list of endangered sites, visit www.preservationnj.org.

DEERFIELD -- Dennis Palmer stood on the high, sandy bank along the western side of the Maurice River and wondered about those who watched the water flow past this site.

Although just a few hundred yards from Sherman Avenue, the place known as Indian Head is a quiet step back into centuries past.

"You look at this land and realize that someone was standing in the same place you are probably 5,000 years ago," said Palmer, executive director of the Landis Sewerage Authority, which owns the site and 1,800 acres of surrounding forests and wetlands.

"This is a place to be treasured," Palmer added. "It's a step back into the history of the human race."

And it is in danger of becoming lost to the ravages of time, according to Preservation New Jersey, a private nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting the state's historical heritage.

Uncontrolled digging for artifacts threatens the site's integrity as an historical storehouse, the group said Tuesday as it named Indian Head one of this year's most endangered historic places.

The 70 to 80 acres along the Maurice River in Deerfield and Vineland are by far the oldest site on this year's list.

Unlike some listed sites -- such as the 1937 Art Deco architecture of Roosevelt Stadium in Hudson County -- Indian Head dates back at least 10,000 years, according to archaeologists.

Arrowheads, pottery shards, bone fragments and other artifacts taken from the site during the past 75 years indicate a human presence since the end of the last ice age at about 9000 B.C., said Alan Mounier, a Vineland-based archaeological consultant.

And, because of the site's easy access and prominent status, protecting the area from amateur archaeologists and hobby collectors is as important as preserving the earliest written accounts of history.

"The artifacts we find at these sites are like letters in an old book," Mounier said. "We can't go digging up a few letters and put them on a shelf somewhere because we like the way they look."

Until an extensive scientific dig of Indian Head is completed, Mounier said, the area is best left alone.

"These people left behind no written record," he said. "These artifacts are the only accounts of history we have of these people and places."

Not everyone agrees with Mounier's desire to keep amateur archaeologists off the property.

Alan Carman, who has been excavating sites in New Jersey for 50 years, said there are more than enough artifacts to be found at Indian Head and other sites in the state.

With each new dig, Carman said, amateurs add to the knowledge of prehistoric people by finding new artifacts.

As far as damage, Carman said, amateurs leave only small trenches that a good heavy rain will fill.

"The professionals want to keep the amateurs off these sites so only they will have access to them," Carman said. "They're running out of sites in North Jersey and now they're looking for sites in South Jersey."

Rather than collecting items for a private collection, Carman said, most of his finds are displayed at the Cumberland County Prehistoric Museum in Greenwich, where more than 10,000 years of human tools, weapons and other artifacts are on display.

"It's not like we're locking them up in our basements or something," he said.

Preservation New Jersey said the LSA is required by a legal covenant in its title to the land to protect the site from unlicensed archaeological digs.

However, Palmer said, easy access and weak laws make it difficult to keep amateurs off the property.

"We do our best, but it's impossible to keep people out of here," he said. "It's open to people who hunt and fish, so it's difficult to say who's digging and who's not."

But all three men agreed on one point.

While standing on the banks of the Maurice River, it's hard to not find one's mind drifting back to a time when the whine of tires on Route 55 or the quiet roar of jet engines overhead were thousands of years in the future.

"A lot of history has taken place on these grounds," Palmer said of an area believed to be a seasonal gathering place of tribes from several different periods of human evolution. "You can feel it in the ground, you can see it in the water. It's a magical place."

The LSA has no plans for developing the area and will work with Preservation New Jersey in protecting the site's historical treasures, Palmer said.

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
Renee,

I could give you some pointers too. Basket weaving was the only merit badge I got while in the Boy Scouts. I may be a little rusty though, that was over 35 years ago.
( I hate saying that I've done things over 35 years ago. Makes me feel old. Wait! I am old. Oh well.)

Old Steve

Old Man,
You're still younger than Joe. Haven't seen him recently, have ya? He's got a grey beard now! :D I like it on him.
Besides, we learn from the wisdom of our experiences (hopefully);
Walk through the path, Heal into the present.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

weaver said:
Renee, I would like to give it a try. I have classes on Wed. and Thurs PM 7-9PM just let me know. You know a good teacher also learns from their students. Yes this would be in y Shop in Rancocas Woods Village of SHops in Mt. Laurel NJ IN PEACE weaver

I need to check with my husband to make sure he is available to take care of the kids. Thursdays sound better for me I think.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

KenDawg said:
bach2yoga said:
Dear Bob,
Please learn to be more tolerant of all my children.
God.

WOW, I just realized that Renee is God. And after all these years I thought it was Eric Clapton.

Ken

Ha. Actually, I think that would be Goddess. :bow:
(I'M ONLY TEASING!!!!!)

Renee

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Weaver, thank you so much for offering to help me out with basket weaving. Nights are bad right now though, but as soon as the kids are out of school, I would like to take a day trip out to visit you and your shop. During this trip I will bring you pine needles if you want them..........suresue

B

bach2yoga

weaver said:

Weaver,
Should I call you Weaver or Mary? I've noticed you answer both ways.
Would next Thursday (not this Thursday) be alright to start? I may need to start every other week for May, if that is okay, then move into weekly during the summer? Or is it better to wait for June when I can do weekly?
What do I need to bring with me?
Looking forward to meeting you,
Renee

weaver

May 3, 2004
Mt. Holly
pineyleanpe.com
Renee, I go by alot of different names it depends on who I am talking to. Mary is fine for this forum. All you need to do is bring yourself and the want to create a basket to the first meeting. Every other Thursday is fine, I have some students that only come once a month. They have to travel far. So they make it a monthly thing. Just give a call before you come. Looking forward to our meeting. Suresue, I would love to have some of the pine needles. Looking forward to meeting you too. My shop door is always open to friendly people who want to learn. So many crafts are starting to be lost. There are alot of different crafts that are in danger of being lost. I think it is better to have someone show you then try and learn it from a book. Dont get me wrong I am glad that there are books out there for people to learn the old ways from. There just isn't alot of teachers left. IN PEACE weaver

B

bach2yoga

Sounds wonderful, Mary.
Could you private message me with the number you would like me to call?
Thank you.
Renee

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
weaver said:
Yes this would be in y Shop in Rancocas Woods Village of SHops in Mt. Laurel NJ IN PEACE weaver

Hi weaver,
I grew up in Rancocas Woods, where in the village is your shop, I'd like to come out sometime. Is it closer to fleetwood school or the other end near the soup ladle?
Brian

weaver

May 3, 2004
Mt. Holly
pineyleanpe.com
Hi Brian, It is right across the street from Fleetwood School. I am the top floor of the big red barn. There use to be a baseball card shop on the first floor. We have been there for 12 years now. IN PEACE weaver

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
weaver said:
Hi Brian, It is right across the street from Fleetwood School. I am the top floor of the big red barn. There use to be a baseball card shop on the first floor. We have been there for 12 years now. IN PEACE weaver

weaver,
great thanks, when I was a kid we used to buy candy on the ground floor of the barn on the way to school. I've been there fairly recently and visited a music shop on I belive the second floor. I look forward to paying a visit.
Brian