New Jersey's Forgotten People

pineylenape

May 3, 2004
N.J Pinelands
pineylenape.com
irishman said:
pineylenape,

I would apologize for my post upsetting you, but I have no desire to. I am not a native and have never professed to be, though I am interested in the history and I thank you for pointing me in the right direction to learn more about the history of the native people. I had never heard that Powhattan is not a "real" reservation. I did not mean to give you any bull, and I have a deep respect for the native american people and disgust for what my race has done to them, but don't mistake eloquence for meakness, I'll not be taking any "bull" either.

Brian
it's ok ,iam here to make friends thank you and i will not use (caps)

B

bach2yoga

pineylenape said:
it's ok ,iam here to make friends thank you and i will not use (caps)

Pineylenape,

I'm sure you'll find many people here are receptive to learning more about the Lenape.
Nice to have you here.

Renee

weaver

May 3, 2004
Mt. Holly
pineyleanpe.com
piney lenape

Hi, I just wanted to let everyone know that the website is back up and running. Our server had some electrical problems yesterday afternoon. It did not get back up and running until today. I also would like to let everyone know that this site is always changing so if you like any of the articles please feel free to print a copy for yourself. Check back once in a while and remenber to hit your refresh button. We will be printing more about the Brotherton Reservation in the near future. And don't forget if you wanted to contact Steven his email is pineylenape@netscape.net ( The falling Rock has been a joke in my family for along time) They still cant find that Indian. IN PEACE weaver

B

bach2yoga

Thanks, Weaver.
I can't wait to come up and visit, will be in contact with you shortly.
Renee

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Our forgotten people have been eating animals since the begining of time. I know some people who attend a yearly muskrat cookout down in Vineland. Snapper soup is still eaten..............give me fried, greasey onions and deer meat anytime! If the water don't kill ya, the air will -or- all that processed food we can easily obtain. I strongly beleive animals were to be used for survival. We eat not to gluttonery (?spel.), nor for profit......just what we need. I am sure the pineylenape people will agree.
............piney "suresue"...........

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
suresue,
though I can relate to your view (I was a dedicted carnivore for many years), my own views are now completely differant. I do not see animals as ours to eat, wear, or entertain, any more than I see women the property of men or one race for the use of another. I see animals as equals, not as a sub-species put here for me, but I am not naive enough to think that everyone does or ever will share this view. To each their own, i respect your right to your opinion.
Brian

B

bach2yoga

Brian,
Dinner sounded great!
you can buy edamame still in the shell in your grocers freezer--usually near the amy's and cascadian farm stuff. And the health food store of course, too, or Whole Foods. Shoprite sells it.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

suresue592003 said:
Our forgotten people have been eating animals since the begining of time. I know some people who attend a yearly muskrat cookout down in Vineland. Snapper soup is still eaten..............give me fried, greasey onions and deer meat anytime! If the water don't kill ya, the air will -or- all that processed food we can easily obtain. I strongly beleive animals were to be used for survival. We eat not to gluttonery (?spel.), nor for profit......just what we need. I am sure the pineylenape people will agree.
............piney "suresue"...........

You'd be hard pressed to find processed food in a vegan's home. mostly organic too, and usually all natural household cleansers, too.

Most of us eat far more meat than is necessary for survival. Actually, in most cases, we don't need meat. We need protein. Most of us don't need it every day-not even once a week. Most of us eat it because we enjoy it, and it's easier to pick up a sandwich from WaWa... Although my family is definitely onmivorous, I'd be hard pressed to say that we eat meat for survival. There are too many other alternatives, and often cheaper alternatives than meat from a grocery store. The survival arguement works well in...a survival situation. Or when you live off the land and the ground is poor or there is drought. Not in a grocery store though, then your reason for eating meat changes. When you buy milk, you are feeding the veal industry. When you buy meat, guaranteed plenty is wasted, slaughter was probably not humane, and living conditions were probably very bad, and your meat was probably pumped with all kinds of antibiotics and steroids. Not exactly survival-not any more. And definitely not the type of respect shown to the animals that is reflected in a Native American bringing down his "brother" for food. Yeh, I know, I sound like Pocohontas in Colors of the Wind, right?

I'm not saying either way is right-or wrong. Just that our situation now is not the same, so survival is not really a valid arguement unless you live somewhere, say, in the bush in Africa or deep within the rainforest or on a frozen tundra in Siberia.

My understanding is that hunting, fishing, clamming, etc. was done from Sept to April by Lenape by the men. In actuality, though, the largest part of their diet was based on food that the women grew and foraged for.

I don't mean hunting or eating meat is necessarily wrong--just that our reasons are different and should be acknowledged as such: I eat it because I enjoy it...

JMO though.

Brian, I was a former bodybuilder too. Won first place in a local competion before my 9 year old was born. I came in at a fairly well cut 107 lbs (I'm just under 5' 4")..

Renee

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
Renee,
Get outta town!! I never did the competition thing, but I maxed out at 240 at 5'10". I'm down to just under 200 now, pretty tight, lifting to keep what I have toned and doing a LOT of cardio. I hated that when I first started but I've really come to enjoy it now. do you still lift?
Brian

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
animals & food

We all come from different walks of life, and what one is exposed to, another is exposed to the opposite. I recall vividly, growing up so poor...many times all we had was deer meat or rabbit to live off of. Still today, being a single mom, money is very tight. If someone offeres me a good peice of deer meat, I'm going to take it. Yes we do eat too much meat in our american diets as well as too much of other things, and too little of the things we really need (fruits & vegetables). Today's food is full of preservatives (cancer causing agents), that is why I prefer my meat fresh.
As far as animals being our equals...I (think) the Bible reads differently. That's if anyone wants to go there. Anyway, this arguement could go on and on. I thank all that have responded and shared their points of view..............suresue.....

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
uh-oh, another can o' worms. I'm a pagan, so what the christian bible may say really means nothing to me, my decisions are based on my personal beliefs.
You're right, it's all what you're exposed to, what you're used to. When I was a kid I ate what was put in front of me, without a thought...and certainly without any back talk. It was not until I got older that I started to think for myself and make my own choices. I never tell anyone that they should be this way or that my way is right and theirs is wrong, just that it's right for me. I like the lively conversation Sue, thanks
Brian

B

bach2yoga

irishman said:
k now you're confusing me, not that it's difficult
Brian

I don't think she believed you.

Hopefully those that are not familiar with Paganism will check out the link I just posted before jumping to any conclusions.

Renee

irishman

Scout
Mar 30, 2004
bach2yoga said:
grins...well, you sure aren't alone. :)
there are a number of us on this list who are pagan or who have pagan backgrounds.

Don't expect a great reception though from a lot of people re: that topic, though. Of course, if you're pagan, you're already used to that.

Renee

Good to know, not suprised.

Yep, I'm pagan, and yes, I'm used to a less than stellar reception, thanks for the warning though.

Brian