Nj Covered Bridges

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes Ben would be right,at least in my mind.I know of know official legitimacy test but many people build little covered bridges to nowhere in their yards and these are all on the site.Many of them can't be gotten too because their on private property and are quite new.To me anyway a legitimate bridge wouldn't necessarily drivable.I have seen actual bridges taken out of service and either moved to a new location or left alone with a newer bridge placed beside them.Their still legitimate in my view.Also the bridge has to be at least older then me,hopefully quite a bit older. I have no exact date in my mind but I"m not really interested in in newly built bridges unless their replacements of old bridges on the original foundations.

Reactions: MariaV and Teegate

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
The other part of the legitimacy is where a "real" covered bridge, the sidewalls & roof make up the structure (weight-carrying) design of the bridge. Kinda like an overhead truss. The bridge in Cherry Hill & Washington Twp are simply bridges that have a roof built atop them. the roof is simply aesthetics,

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
From what I"ve read the purpose of the roof is to prevent decay as long as possible.Much easier to replace the roof then the structure.Makes sense to me.
Yes Muck a bridge with just a roof slapped on it does not qualify to me. I also prefer bridges with wooden structure as opposed to steel.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
@manumuskin ...true. I re-read what I wrote & messed up. The sidewalls are the truss, thus covering it for protection from weather. I also just read that another reason for covering the sides was so horses wouldn't be frightened from walking over the water(?)

Reactions: MariaV

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Good point about the water.
I would say that Green Seargent Bridge in Hunterdon County would be the only Legitimate (in my opinion) bridge in NJ.I was just there yesterday.Took Momma on a tour of Bucks County bridges which we haven;t done in about five years,used to do it every fall and we swung by Green Sargent on the way home.Have also done most around lancaster County and Columbia County and also most of new England excepting Coos County NH and Vermont which we haven';t gotten too yet.

Reactions: MuckSavage

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
A Google search turned this up
A covered bridge is a technical name for a specific kind of structure, not just any bridge with a roof. True covered bridges are defined by a timber truss (or frame) that distributes the weight of the load-bearing deck. The truss design determines how long a span it can have and how complex it is to build.Jun 12, 2020

Reactions: MariaV