Not the blue hole, but something like it

ash73

Feb 20, 2008
I could be wrong but when I read this thread Crystal Lake on the Heritage Mineral property in Forked River came to mind. The first time I was back there the water seemed eerily blue, much more blue than I have ever seen water in New Jersey. I later found out this had something to do with the mineral content in the water along with the fact that in parts the lake is extremely deep.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
:eng101: Heritage Minerals is in Lakehurst/Manchester.

I think the blue color of the lake - of which I used to be very familiar with - comes from the clay content of the soil. I'm not sure how deep the lake is, except that they used a team of divers to locate a bunch of cars that had been stolen and dumped in the lake.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Exactly. Same effect up at... Hanson, is it? Just east of Woodmansie road, and again at the big sand pit north of Forked River. You can see it in a number of places. Clay pits tend to show up tourquoise or aquamarine.

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
:eng101: Heritage Minerals is in Lakehurst/Manchester.

I think the blue color of the lake - of which I used to be very familiar with - comes from the clay content of the soil. I'm not sure how deep the lake is, except that they used a team of divers to locate a bunch of cars that had been stolen and dumped in the lake.

Ben,
The color of the water in that area is also tinted by Ilmenite, a version of titanium-oxide which naturally occurs in the clays and soils within the area. The minerals would cause some strange effects on the waters. If you look at aerial images of the Owens Hill (Woodmansie) clay pits which are still in use by Clayton, you can see the interesting color effects caused by the minerals.

Just a thought.

Scott

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Blue Water

That site in the pic looks a lot like the quarry next to the Expressway near the Hamilton Mall. I think it was dug either for the Expressway overpass for the old railroad that went to the AC racetrack, or possibly for the Racetrack or the mall. That site is the only one I've seen where the entire edge of the quarry is packed down and covered with short grass. It has a dirt track (road) leading around the edge and is a nice spot for swimming and fishing. The color of the water is due to the high content of minerals (mainly Iron) and the lack of organic matter like rotting leaves and grass since most quarries are dug enough to prevent the growth of much vegetation.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I agree it could be that one... although some of the pits down towards Cape May and Cumberland look somewhat like it too. As for why it was dug, I think I'd lean towards the grading that was needed for the Expressway. Areal photos do show there was a track there pre-Expressway (1963), however by 1970 the track had turned into a pit. One way in there was recently closed off as the road/railroad grade under the Expressway is now fenced, gated, and signed.