ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This sounds pretty good, but not sure if I really understand… Are you saying there will be roads that are closed, but no map indicating which roads are closed? That seems a little odd.

And I think we all agree that more enforcement is needed, so that sounds good too. But the excuse has always been they don't have enough money. Has something changed there? Who will pay for the additional officers and helicopters?

The area's that will be closed with have signs saying so.

There are no new officers. They now have dedicated more to Wharton and they now will stay in Wharton where before they may have been miles away when a call came in. Now they will be able to respond quicker.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Mark Texel did mention he was not happy how the website is set up. He wants to make changes to it so it will be more user friendly.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They really do want everyone to volunteer so everyone should think about doing so at least at some point. They did say some will be on the weekend and some on weekdays.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There are no new officers. They now have dedicated more to Wharton and they now will stay in Wharton where before they may have been miles away when a call came in.

I guess there is some part of this that I'm missing. Are the officers just goofing off somewhere now, or are they actually needed in these other areas? When they are moved to Wharton, who will enforce the law in those other areas? And why can't the abusers just move to those other areas, knowing that everyone is assigned to Wharton now?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was explained fully that the governor has not authorized the hiring of anyone so they are stuck with the quantity they have. I would assume then that Wharton has been the problem so obviously they would put more effort there to stop it. Not really much more to it I guess.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Have you noticed that the park police are now patrolling in Chevy Tahoes? Their size makes it difficult to patrol smaller roads. Where did the state get the money for Tahoes?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Have you noticed that the park police are now patrolling in Chevy Tahoes? Their size makes it difficult to patrol smaller roads. Where did the state get the money for Tahoes?

Have not noticed them yet. I saw one PP last weekend near Oswego Lake in a normal vehicle.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The DEP have brought on two more conservation officers for Burlington county, bringing the total to four. Now there will be a two officers on duty instead of one at any given time. Good news, for those who are in the know, is that now more enforcement will occur in the southern half of the county. The ability for a C.O. to maintain a more permanent presence in Wharton and Bass is a very good thing.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Have you noticed that the park police are now patrolling in Chevy Tahoes?

I saw one of those last Saturday, on Rt 72 I think.

I would assume then that Wharton has been the problem so obviously they would put more effort there to stop it.

Sorry, but I just don't understand. I was under the impression there weren't enough officers now. If it is so "obvious" that they are needed in Wharton instead of these other places, why aren't they already there? Or is Wharton all that anyone cares about now?

I just remember this post by @dragoncjo from last fall. Has something changed? Moving your money from one pocket to another doesn't make you any richer…

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/th...ve-areas-of-wharton.10649/page-12#post-127913

The reality is this was done because they don't have the manpower to patrol the areas. Cameras can't be used because they don't have money to buy them. The bottom line is they have no money to do anything

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Park Police and Conservation Officers are separate entities. In fact there is very little communications between the two LEO groups.

And their responsibilities are different; CO's are fish and wildlife law oriented, PP more the traditional police work, such as the State Police, in the Parks, Forests and Recreation Area's.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We also learned the PP and the state police use the same frequency. I wonder if they are on the same one all the time or have one they can share?

Jason Howell

Explorer
Nov 23, 2009
"Freshwater wetlands, home to a number of endangered species, are especially attractive to mud-loving riders and have been particularly hard hit, officials in both states said.

In one wetlands section of Wharton, a barren, muddy expanse is all that is left of what just a few years ago was grassland.Violators in New Jersey face fines ranging from $100 to $1,000...Little enforcement But catching culprits has proved difficult. Four rangers monitor Wharton's 110,000 acres of forest at any given time."

"They pay the fine, and they're still going to go back out," Bailey said. "When you pay that kind of money for a recreational vehicle, you're going to use it."

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2001-04-29/news/0104290220_1_state-forest-new-jersey-south-jersey

Article from 2001. The maximum fine wasn't even adjusted for inflation by the DEP and we have fewer officers on patrol at any given time than in 2001.

Last edited: