ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
They have no budget for this stuff- it's just smoke and mirrors. Had they double or tripled the amount of Park Police in Wharton, maybe then the enforcement plan could have been serious.

I would like to believe that things will be better, but as I posted earlier, I'm skeptical too. This stuff takes money. Have they actually changed any laws? Why weren't they enforcing the existing laws before? Did they need "stakeholders" to tell them to do that?

And if they are assigning more law enforcement to Wharton, then they are taking it away from somewhere else. If those people weren't needed somewhere else, why weren't they in Wharton in the first place? And if they are actually needed somewhere else, what will happen in Lebanon, Bass River, Penn State Forest, etc. if they move those people to Wharton?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I would like to believe that things will be better, but as I posted earlier, I'm skeptical too. This stuff takes money. Have they actually changed any laws? Why weren't they enforcing the existing laws before? Did they need "stakeholders" to tell them to do that?

And if they are assigning more law enforcement to Wharton, then they are taking it away from somewhere else. If those people weren't needed somewhere else, why weren't they in Wharton in the first place? And if they are actually needed somewhere else, what will happen in Lebanon, Bass River, Penn State Forest, etc. if they move those people to Wharton?

I'm sure there's plenty of rebalancing that can be done to bring under utilized resources from other parks into Wharton. Government is not known for finding efficiencies, and bureaucracy forces a lot of inertia. I think the best thing that came out of the MAP is that it lit a fire under the DEP folks in Trenton to finally start working to address the problem.

Some people will still never be happy until the entirety of the forest is closed off to motor vehicles. When I first met with Rob last year he told me that there were people pressuring him to close it off entirely. None of those people will admit that that is their agenda, but I have two witnesses who were with me when Rob said that so it's not something I'm making up.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The proposed plan certainly is not going to be a cure all in it's infancy, but it is a step in the right direction with the potential to be effective. I agree that much of the work is going to fall on volunteers (and us) to monitor and report what is happening out there. I think it is extremely important that all people and organizations interested in the preservation of the pines...both ecology and culture, give this plan everything they got to make it work.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
So now it is a half mile when last year it was a mile.
That is anecdotal. I don't know who was, and whether he was relating accurate information. Either way, I think that a mile is a pretty long hike just to get to a starting point. How many people would go to Batsto or Apple Pie Hill if they had to hike a mile to get there? But I guess the point is moot, since there is no plan (at the moment) for a MAPS.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In any event, it annoys me that there are individuals out there trying to tell me and others how far we should walk to get to where we want to go. Have them spend a year in your or my shoes and lets see if they feel the same way. My time is important to me and I drive as far as my car will allow me to go safety and responsibly, and I don't want special interest groups telling me anything.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I agree that much of the work is going to fall on volunteers (and us) to monitor and report what is happening out there. I think it is extremely important that all people and organizations interested in the preservation of the pines...both ecology and culture, give this plan everything they got to make it work.

And everyone should remember, any citizen can file a complaint in municipal court against those that are committing illegal activity; all it takes is a description or picture of the violation, a license plate number, a little of ones time and some backbone. Another witness would also be nice. With successful prosecutions and a couple of vehicle confiscations the word will be spread far and wide very quickly. Just make sure your complaint is a valid one.

Municipal Courts
http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/rules/r7-2.html

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Some people will still never be happy until the entirety of the forest is closed off to motor vehicles. When I first met with Rob last year he told me that there were people pressuring him to close it off entirely. None of those people will admit that that is their agenda, but I have two witnesses who were with me when Rob said that so it's not something I'm making up.
I think we all know who "these people" are along with Rob's personal feelings as he takes every photo opportunity with "these people" or their commercial interests. Need more be said?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
And everyone should remember, any citizen can file a complaint in municipal court against those that are committing illegal activity; all it takes is a description or picture of the violation, a license plate number, a little of ones time and some backbone. Another witness would also be nice. With successful prosecutions and a couple of vehicle confiscations the word will be spread far and wide very quickly. Just make sure your complaint is a valid one.

Municipal Courts
http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/rules/r7-2.html

Well said! This is exactly what you do.

In fact, if you hand over evidence to LEO, and request to remain anonymous, the charges will be from the state of New Jersey in all but the most extreme cases. Confidentiality has it's benefits, but there is a small chance you may have to appear in court if a much larger case comes from what you bring to light.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That is anecdotal. I don't know who was, and whether he was relating accurate information. Either way, I think that a mile is a pretty long hike just to get to a starting point. How many people would go to Batsto or Apple Pie Hill if they had to hike a mile to get there? But I guess the point is moot, since there is no plan (at the moment) for a MAPS.

It's not anecdotal. It was in an email from Carleton Montgomery to Rob Auermuller that was made public and is also a bullet point on the PPA's ORV page:

More than 220 miles of sand roads are open to the public for driving. All of Wharton State Forest is within one mile or less of these public sand roads or paved public roads. Check the maps: it’s true.

As to your second point about how many people would go wherever in the pines if they had to hike a mile... I think that was part of the point.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Good.

My first observation is that you'd need to have balls made of steel to do what that NJ Park Police officer is doing. One officer vs. five guys in the middle of nowhere? I'd be terrified. Kudos to that officer.

Second observation, the barricades that were being put up are wholly ineffective at keeping dual sport riders out since they'll just go blaze their own trail. Enforcement, like here, is what will keep people out of sensitive areas.

Third observation, I'd really like to know what the fine was. I'd love to see that Tahoe driving around with a landscaping trailer full of impounded bikes. (Impounded from those who leave the trails, not those ride responsibly.) That would send a loud message.

Fourth bonus point: Why the hell would you upload a video of yourself a) breaking the law and b) getting caught?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Fourth bonus point: Why the hell would you upload a video of yourself a) breaking the law and b) getting caught?

That poster must read this forum or know someone that does; the vid is now gone. :(