ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/license_sales11-14.pdf

Here's a list of the number of hunting/fishing licenses sold in NJ for the past few years. Notice that 2014 generally saw a small increase in sales over 2013, proving that NJ residents are still interested in hunting.

I urge any hunter who would hunt on state land in the Pine Barrens to not purchase another permit until this ORV policy is rolled back. The permit is going to be pretty useless anyway unless you're looking forward to lugging the buck you just shot a mile or two back to your vehicle -- if you could even find a spot to park off of the sand superhighways that everyone else will be driving on.

The sale of hunting permits make up a significant portion of the DFW operating budget. We need to hit Trenton in the pocket book over this.

Reactions: Outdoorgirl

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
I doubt it will be a MV violation, probably one of the just one of the rules under Subchapter 3 in the state park service code, although Wharton is a state forest :rolleyes: Maybe that's a defense ;)

It'll be a "Careless driving, damaging a recreation area".

Outdoorgirl

Aug 2, 2015
Mullica

Here's a list of the number of hunting/fishing licenses sold in NJ for the past few years. Notice that 2014 generally saw a small increase in sales over 2013, proving that NJ residents are still interested in hunting.

I urge any hunter who would hunt on state land in the Pine Barrens to not purchase another permit until this ORV policy is rolled back. The permit is going to be pretty useless anyway unless you're looking forward to lugging the buck you just shot a mile or two back to your vehicle -- if you could even find a spot to park off of the sand superhighways that everyone else will be driving on.

The sale of hunting permits make up a significant portion of the DFW operating budget. We need to hit Trenton in the pocket book over this.
My heart is heavy not only for every hunter, but the ol timers who simply can't make the walk in or out . I'm wondering though they did say they would accommodate the handicap can they call at 4:30 am and get a ride in and out?

Reactions: Ben Ruset

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Take a ride down Sandy Causeway. Get a feeling for the new look of the roads. It doesn't feel like preservation at all. Two cars wide and mowed shoulders. Oh yea trucked in clay and stone. It looks and feels about as natural as driving through the safari in Great Adventure They did leave enough sugar sand in spots for a car to get stuck though. Maybe thats the next step, tram cars giving tours.

Last edited:

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Take a ride down Sandy Causeway. Get a feeling for the new look of the roads. It doesn't feel like preservation at all. Two cars wide and mowed shoulders. Oh yea trucked in clay and stones. It looks and feels about as natural as driving through the safari in Great Adventure They did leave enough sugar sand in spots for a car to get stuck though. Maybe thats the next step, tram cars giving tours.

The sugar sand was purposely left there. They are going to have volunteers with cameras stationed by the sugar sand to snap pictures of everyone that gets stuck to document the "illegal ORV damage".

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

Hitting F&W by not hunting on state land might just have the opposite effect. They didn't play a part in this, but not using our land would give those that implemented this exactly what they want, less folks using the land. Get folks to boycott PPA and those org's that back them and their activities, boycott parks that charge admission, their events and the concessions in those parks. If the park visitation fee's drop, they'll have to explain why.

Greg OBrien

Scout
Mar 22, 2011
Pictures from this afternoon of Rob's volunteers preservation efforts at High Crossing.

Those PPA member sure know their way around a chainsaw!

I just wonder which class Rob took in college that taught this brand of forest management?

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_0_2.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 301
  • imagejpeg_0_3.jpg
    imagejpeg_0_3.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 345
  • imagejpeg_0_5.jpg
    imagejpeg_0_5.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 284
  • imagejpeg_0_4.jpg
    imagejpeg_0_4.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 299

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Hitting F&W by not hunting on state land might just have the opposite effect. They didn't play a part in this, but not using our land would give those that implemented this exactly what they want, less folks using the land. Get folks to boycott PPA and those org's that back them and their activities, boycott parks that charge admission, their events and the concessions in those parks. If the park visitation fee's drop, they'll have to explain why.

Taking money from the state will get people's attention. F&W is under the DEP.

I would also suggest that people not use Pinelands Adventures as well.

Reactions: JeepWagoneer

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Pictures from this afternoon of Rob's volunteers preservation efforts at High Crossing.

Those PPA member sure know their way around a chainsaw!

I just wonder which class Rob took in college that taught this brand of forest management?

Those photos just triggered an epiphany with me.
One of the roads back here was blocked the exact same way about two months ago. The road leads to Miller's Bogs or Ancora Bogs as the State calls them. Strangely, the road is not one scheduled to be closed on THE MAP but other roads intersecting this one are.

The 16" diameter, well-formed, oak tree was felled so as to block a large hard bottomed puddle and neatly filled the entire width of the road.
Fortunately, it was quickly taken care of by locals and within 2 days, the road was reopened.

I suspect and hope that many of the trees shown in your pics will be promptly removed as well.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I also like how a the service road along the power lines from Jackson Road to Maple Island is show as open. This goes right behind homes there and the rangers have been actively writing tickets if you were on that road saying it was not an established road. A neighbor was on his was back after taking his dog for a run and was read the riot act and given a seatbelt ticket. That is one place this map would help.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Take a ride down Sandy Causeway. Get a feeling for the new look of the roads. It doesn't feel like preservation at all. Two cars wide and mowed shoulders. Oh yea trucked in clay and stone. It looks and feels about as natural as driving through the safari in Great Adventure They did leave enough sugar sand in spots for a car to get stuck though. Maybe thats the next step, tram cars giving tours.

Trucked in clay? Are you sure?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It looked like Jersey gravel, what I have on my property. It was brought in by commercial trucks and dumped in the Carranza parking lot where it was moved by the FFS to where it was wanted. Note, I did not say where it was needed.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was worried that they might be bringing in invasive species from fill outside the pines. The Pinelands Commission would disagree with non-native soil.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
It is surely a different color than what I've seen naturally in the pines anywhere. (More reddish brown). I'm also going by memory since I was to shocked to think of taking pictures. I will inspect more this weekend.

Outdoorgirl

Aug 2, 2015
Mullica
Wednesday, August 05, 2015
PineyPower - All About the Pine Barrens of NJ!

Over the past few weeks, there have been “rumblings” about the closure of some of the side roads throughout Wharton State Forest, so I decided to call Superintendent Rob Auermuller at Wharton’s headquarters in Batsto Village. Rob was happy to take the time to talk to me, as he had done for countless callers. The way I understood it, Wharton was awarded a federal grant for the sugar sand State road repairs and improvements, contingent upon the creation of a road/trail map of the forest. The narrow side roads/trails to be used by hikers, bicyclists or equestrian traffic are to be marked as such, with blockades that restrict entry by motorized vehicles. ALL MAIN SUGAR SAND/DIRT ROADS WILL REMAIN OPEN!
Obviously, a side product of this restriction will attempt to stop the horrendous destruction of some areas of the forest by that small percentage of visitors who have no regard for the plants and animals, many of which are endangered. More than likely, if you’re reading this, it’s not you doing this damage and you feel that you’re being punished for what these selfish, uncaring lunatics are doing when they turn a delicate wetland into a dead swamp of mud where nothing will survive. Unfortunately, you are but it’s not that much different than, for example, the enhanced security measures that are taken each time you fly, because of a small group of people that are heartless killers. Yes, it’s incredibly inconvenient to have the restrictions, but it is for the greater good.
Instead of working against the protection of the Pine Barrens, why not help? Be the eyes and ears for the limited staff and report any damage, dumping or other inappropriate behavior to either the Batsto office (609-561-0024) or the Atsion Ranger Station (609-268-0444). Talk to Rob Auermuller to see in what other ways, either individually or as a group, you can effect positive change instead of complaining about how inconvenient it is with the current restrictions. (Rob is currently on vacation but should be back soon.) To those of you who work tirelessly and often without thanks, please know you ARE appreciated for among other things, the tons of "other people's garbage" you pick up on a regular basis. The Piney Gods are smiling down on you!

This interactive map shows some of the damage done within the Pine Barrens and most noticeably, Wharton State Forest. Please take the time to click through and take a look at the photos of just some of the damage. . . the damage that needs to be stopped.
End of rant. Thanks for reading.
http://arcg.is/1TmZ4Ao

Related post
http://gadfly01.blogspot.com/2015/07/wharton-state-forest-roads-being-closed.html

at 1:31 AM

Home
View web version