Palace Amusements Building Demolished (5/26/04)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
The Palace Amusements building in Asbury Park was demolished today. I remember a few years ago the building was assessed to see if it was possible to save it, the results of which determined it was. They held a meeting yesterday to decide if the Palace Amusements building should be spared the wrecking ball and it was bashed apart today to rubble. They said they are sving the wall with one of the Tille faces to be displayed somewhere...gee thanks. The redevelopement of Asbury is underway and I will miss the quiet place it was for some time. I actually liked it there is disrepair because it had all the energy of a typical ghost town, but most of the buildings still there. I'm surprised they have chosen this route since that damn face (Tillie) on that building has become one (1) of the most recognizable symbols of NJ! ! A rare oppurtunity to save a piece of history, again not taken. The redevelopment of AP will have many heartbreaks I feel. What are you gonna' do?

B

BarryC

Well it was a similar situation in Atlantic City when they first legalized gambling. I was still in North Jersey, probably just starting high school at the time. But I remember reading or hearing some things. They tore down some of the greatest resort hotels the world had ever known, practically- such hotels as the Traymore, the Chalfonte-Haddon Hall, and the Marlboro-Blenheim. I never got to see them in person, but fortunately I have a collection of very old postcards from Atlantic City, and those hotels are well-represented in the collection.
Today Atlantic City continues to tear down historic structures in the name of progress. They do it all the time. In New York City that would be unheard of. There are letters to the editor in the Press of Atlantic City once in a while, from people who are appalled at the destruction of historic places in Atlantic City (I am too.).
By the way, I've never been to Asbury Park, so I have no first-hand knowledge of what it's like.
Barry
jokerman said:
The Palace Amusements building in Asbury Park was demolished today. I remember a few years ago the building was assessed to see if it was possible to save it, the results of which determined it was. They held a meeting yesterday to decide if the Palace Amusements building should be spared the wrecking ball and it was bashed apart today to rubble. They said they are sving the wall with one of the Tille faces to be displayed somewhere...gee thanks. The redevelopement of Asbury is underway and I will miss the quiet place it was for some time. I actually liked it there is disrepair because it had all the energy of a typical ghost town, but most of the buildings still there. I'm surprised they have chosen this route since that damn face (Tillie) on that building has become one (1) of the most recognizable symbols of NJ! ! A rare oppurtunity to save a piece of history, again not taken. The redevelopment of AP will have many heartbreaks I feel. What are you gonna' do?

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
It's all money-based. If the old buildings made someone a wad of cash, they'd all still be there. It's unfortunate that the biggest industry in NJ nowadays is development, especially residential. They are putting condos in place of the Palace in Asbury. Asbury will be dominated by the Hacidic Jewish people who are the minority chosen for the residential proposed developement there. I have no idea what improvement all this is to bring.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Speaking of Lakewood...They are settled on demolishing several replicas in Lakewood of what I believe are European castles that are listed on the register of historic places. Apparently, the power of the historical societies is limited in protecting the contents of the registries. I'm getting really angry about what is going on this state for many reasons. I am especially concerned about what the future holds for the Pines because I know there is virtually NOTHING that will stop the pressure of developers to have space to prop up McMansions. Sorry, the death of Tillie has affected me...and my attitude today!

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
jokerman said:
A rare oppurtunity to save a piece of history, again not taken. The redevelopment of AP will have many heartbreaks I feel. What are you gonna' do?

What's next, Lucy :x

I can remember they few times I went there and how crowded it was. I wish I could have taken a few pictures before they took it down.

Now my camera is with me all the time. You never now what will be taken down next.

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
The Jewish people haven't run out of room in Lakewood yet, they are buying everything, they are even buying out all the slums and ghetto's. I don't see any Jewish families in Asbury Park but I do see them in Belmar. Right now when you drive thru key neighborhoods in Asbury Park, you do see a rather high population of Gay's and Lesbian's but I have to admit they have the nicest looking houses. Hey maybe we need to set up a driving tour of Asbury Park and take a walk on the boardwalk one time for people such as Barry that have never had the pleasure of visiting Asbury Park, while there we might as well go to Ocean Grove and view the lovely old houses there also. It isn't the Pine Barrens but there is alot to see.

B

bach2yoga

Pardon my ignorance but what are Look at me I'm so smarts?? Just curious. Maybe reply in a PM, I have the feeling it may be not PC.
Renee

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I agree with Jokerman, the pines is on borrowed time. I actually have nightmares of condos being built at Friendship! Am I going nuts here?! Anyway, when that starts to happen, I am the hell out of Jersey! That I have promised myself a long time ago.
....................Sue.....................

B

bach2yoga

njvike said:
jokerman said:
A rare oppurtunity to save a piece of history, again not taken. The redevelopment of AP will have many heartbreaks I feel. What are you gonna' do?

What's next, Lucy :x

I can remember they few times I went there and how crowded it was. I wish I could have taken a few pictures before they took it down.

Now my camera is with me all the time. You never now what will be taken down next.

No, No, not Lucy...she is one of my favorites!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
"look at me I'm so smart" I bought this property when it was dirt cheap and now it's worth a ton of dough.

is my guess. i can't blame them, and if the gay/lesbian community wants to move in and clean up the town, i support that 100%.

B

bach2yoga

ok...I wouldn't have a problem with them cleaning up a town either, personally.
Renee

I was under the impression that most folks moving "down here" came from "up there" in North Jersey, escaping overcrowding and high taxes. One of my professors recently moved into a new apartment building in Camden County, and she says every single one of her neighbors moved from North Jersey and still works either there, or in New York City...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
heh, it's the word filter. Guy changed the word g a y to "LOOK AT ME I AM SO SMART" when Johnny was spamming the forums.

Sorry about that Ben. That is one word I should not have set it up for. I was just going through his posts and setting it up with every questionable word he wrote, not thinking that g a y is not always used in a derogatory way. Oh well! It is nice to see what I did works :)

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
aaa.jpg

and

aab.sized.jpg

and

aac.sized.jpg