PBX guys, I need a way into the bog

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
SC, a beater "Pine Mobile" sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could come to my house and stand next to me when I tell my wife that I want to buy another car.
Lol. Sure, I can bring my Cherokee to show her the dark path I was heading down before I got the piney mobile. We can have Guy come too to show how bad it can get. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It occurred to me last night after thinking about your post that I could cut down (hopefully nobody is reading this) two or three small trees

I think cutting down trees crosses the line. What if everyone did this whenever they wanted to? And why do you need to carry a chainsaw? I agree with the others, find some downed trees if you need to build a bridge, or find another way to get there.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I think cutting down trees crosses the line. What if everyone did this whenever they wanted to? And why do you need to carry a chainsaw? I agree with the others, find some downed trees if you need to build a bridge, or find another way to get there.
Boyd, I already said that I wouldn't cut down any trees. I used the hand chain to remove a branch that was in the way of a shot. I was basing my comment in part on pictures of bridges that I thought were cut branches or small trees., As I said, I'm devising my strategy on the fly. But now that you mention it, where is the line? I've seen a lot of references to bushwhacking through brush. Any trip through dense undergrowth will probably result in broken branches and trampled brush. It's hard to drive down Carranza road, and the smaller roads, from the thousand snow broken branches and small tress all over the roads out there right now.

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I believe if your caught cutting trees on state property the fine is several hundred bucks a tree ,on the other hand hunters do it all the time to create bridges and clear field of fire.Surveyors do it to get a better GPS reading. Beavers do it just because their beavers.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I believe if your caught cutting trees on state property the fine is several hundred bucks a tree ,on the other hand hunters do it all the time to create bridges and clear field of fire.Surveyors do it to get a better GPS reading. Beavers do it just because their beavers.
MM, being warned against it I wouldn't. I also see the state is going to thin 750 acres and harvest 10,000 cords of wood on Washington Pike.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

If he's going to use already downed tree's, best make sure they are not rotted out pine as they tend to do or he could be going for a chilly swim with 30lbs of camera gear. :eek:

Might want to lighten that load by 20lbs. ;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As manumuskin mentioned surveyors are big offenders of that especially those who use GPS. They cut the trees for better reception. They have a job to do. I really don't disagree with it but I would never do it. I just cut briers and get quite a bit of satisfaction out of it. Just sayin....

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Jon you can get to those bogs much easier from the west if your speaking of the big bogs at the southern end .You can drive in from Friendship road here. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.77026506033873&lng=-74.61020785968782&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=
You can drive this far and after that it gets tight. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.75428177717457&lng=-74.60299808185579&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx= By the way it is very sandy. You can possibly drive this far at least the last time I was there but it's tight. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=...-74.60097569625856&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=.Then walk a fairly good trail down the west side all the way to here no problem. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74468425200779&lng=-74.60095423858644&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx= I did this two years ago.Now going along the southern edge is a different matter.It can be done but you will be forced into the water at different points and this time of year you will probably be crashing through thin ice,not very safe.
Manumuskin, since I couldn't drive my car on your road to the bogs (AWD and piney pin striping), I hiked down the road, almost from Carranza, in order to get some late afternoon photos. Once I got there the beaver activity had flooded the dike (not sure if that is the correct term) and my 18" boots barely held off the water. But I got in, and made it halfway down the west edge, (and across the bog on one section). This is a beautiful area, and I am going back this afternoon to explore further. The trail was decent, took some pushing through brush and getting whipped in the face, and my hat pulled off, etc., but it was worth the trip. Some shots from yesterday.
friendship_bog_south1-1.jpg

friendship_bog_south2-1.jpg

Reactions: John and manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
If you look on Google earth in that area with the Panaramio feature on you'll see a few HDR shots I took of that area last time I was out there.
Looks like that first shot is showing a beaver trail from the dike to the water.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
If you look on Google earth in that area with the Panaramio feature on you'll see a few HDR shots I took of that area last time I was out there.
Looks like that first shot is showing a beaver trail from the dike to the water.
Is that what that is? Just about every dike has one in the middle, I assumed it was some sort of irrigation channel left over from when the bogs were active. Cool shots on Google Earth. Reminds me of a trip I took in 1972, listening to music with my friends, under a black light. Wasn't a pine tree in sight.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It may ell have been a manmade channel especially if they are perfectly straight and parallel to each other but beaver also make runways like this so they can travel through the brush in safety.To them being in the water is sfety so they will make runs from the ponds edge into the forest to access the trees.They also hide in holes in the dikes your walking down and will often have runs to those holes or runs to the dike so they can run over it and get into the swamp on the other side.These runs are their death knell when it comes to trappers.They look for where the beaver are entering or exiting these runs and place traps there or will make a fake scent post to attract the beaver to the intruders mark and will place a trap there. I assumed that was a beaver run in the photo because it's the only one I see.If they are repeated at intervals it would be a ditch as you say.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Is that what that is? Just about every dike has one in the middle, I assumed it was some sort of irrigation channel left over from when the bogs were active. Cool shots on Google Earth. Reminds me of a trip I took in 1972, listening to music with my friends, under a black light. Not a pine tree in sight.
Lol. I use Google Earth/Panoramio a lot and I've seen those pictures. (I knew they must have been manumuskin's because the user name is the same). I didn't even have to look to know which ones you were referring to, I knew just based on this description. :)

Reactions: manumuskin

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Usually that moat has a log bridge over it. It is possible to access it from here but it also can be wet. The last time I did it knee highs were not enough and I got wet. That is a really nice area where you want to go, maybe in a drier time.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.75181962599063&lng=-74.58556908767701&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

Ecampbell, I followed your map/pin in from Carranza and realized that I had been in that area previously. Since the temperature on Sunday, Feb. 14, was around 20 degrees, I was able to walk onto the frozen ice of the bog. Before, I was limited to the edge. My exploration of this fascinating area continues. Thanks for your help!
bog_ice_north_feb14-1.jpg

This shot is the north bog, above Carranza.
bog_ice_feb14-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin and John

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Just take the board and don't worry about anything else.

Back in 2004 there was a bridge across at the southern end of Friendship Bogs. Make sure you visit that area also.

I built a bridge today, as described by Bobpbx and Teegate. It was a badly constructed bridge. Per the good advice from this thread I used only broken, downed trees, that still had to be sawed and trimmed and dragged into place. Took me about an hour and I managed to get across it uneventfully once, and gained access to the bog. Explored a bit, took a couple of shots, and on the way back over the bridge, my boot caught on an untrimmed stub and I ended up butt deep in ice water. A brisk walk back to the car with numb feet, and I stripped down to my skivvies and drove home half neked. Not exactly Jack London's "To Build a Fire" but it gave me a small appreciation for real explorers. Guys did this stuff 200 years ago without a Highlander waiting 1/4 mile away on the main road. Ironically, I saw a 12' board bridge 1000 yards farther along the dike, so the bridge was unnecessary. The sunrise shot is my favorite beaver dam also shot today.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74829740078969&lng=-74.59032732646943&z=16&type=nj2012&gpx=

bog_bridge-1.jpg

bog_lodge_east-1.jpg

bog_dam_sunrise-1.jpg

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Nice pics. There is no shortage of downed trees right now. Was out driving and hiking this past weekend and they were everywhere.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Jon you can get to those bogs much easier from the west if your speaking of the big bogs at the southern end .You can drive in from Friendship road here.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=...-74.60097569625856&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=.Then walk a fairly good trail down the west side all the way to here no problem. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74468425200779&lng=-74.60095423858644&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx= I did this two years ago.Now going along the southern edge is a different matter.It can be done but you will be forced into the water at different points and this time of year you will probably be crashing through thin ice,not very safe.
On Sunday, Feb. 21, my son and I walked down the west edge and along the southern edge, finally halted at the first big moat. With my photo gear I cannot risk a full immersion, or even up to my waist. The southern edge was a virtual beaver city. I am looking for a pair of leather gloves to avoid getting torn up by briars. Even wearing flannel lined jeans we got pierced multiple times. Thinking about a pair of chainsaw chaps but I don't know if that's even practical. I agree with Teegate, briars are the enemy. I do not know how you guys walk through swamps, it seems very hard just to walk an overgrown trail.
bog_mirror_canal-1.jpg

bog_beaver_city1-1.jpg

bog_beaver_city3-1.jpg

Last edited:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
On Sunday, Feb. 21, my son and I walked down the west edge and along the southern edge, finally halted at the first big moat. With my photo gear I cannot risk a full immersion, or even up to my waist. The southern edge was a virtual beaver city. I am looking for a pair of leather gloves to avoid getting torn up by briars. Even wearing flannel lined jeans we got pierced multiple times. Thinking about a pair of chainsaw chaps but I don't know if that's even practical. I agree with Teegate, briars are the enemy. I do not know how you guys walk through swamps, it seems very hard just to walk an overgrown trail.
View attachment 7115
View attachment 7117
View attachment 7118
The secret to swampin is to take your time and always have a back up plan if you go down.The worst injury I"ve had so far swampin is a couple real nasty eye jabs.Might want to wear a pair of safety glasses if you plan on traveling through thick brush..Many folks use trekking poles/walking sticks and I admit these can be real handy where balance is needed such as in stream/bridge crossings but i find they mostly get in the way in thick brush.I need both hands to fend off the brush and maintain balance by using trees. A good bet is to take someone with you or at least let someone know exactly where your going. I don't always follow my own advice but as I get older I notice I"m being more cautious.Not as invincible as I used to be.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe