PBX guys, I need a way into the bog

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On the back side of Friendship Bogs along the Tulp someone built a bridge across the Tulp. When I went between the two place I used it a few times.

bridge1.jpg

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
That is a serious bridge. With a handrail too. Someone put some real effort and got very wet and dirty to build that. I thought maybe I could just buy a pair of hip waders, but it seems I have to start thinking like a beaver. I also didn't realize the Friendship Bogs had a backdoor to the Tulpehocken. My son and I tried to explore the Tulpehocken, coming up from Hawkins Lowland Rd, but were immediately turned back because we were wearing Merrel's. I got the Grange boots on your recommendation (and they are perfect), and I am going to start researching waders now.

Last edited:

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I would agree with Bob. With PBX we often pull dead trees over to form a bridge. I have done it alone also. It is actually a lot less work. I think you really ought to get some hip waders, especially if you plan to spend more time in these bogs. I know that I go through hip waders quickly so I always buy them cheap instead of destroying an expensive pair each time. Hip waders aren't as cumbersome as you might expect and allow a great deal of freedom in wet environments. Dick's sporting goods occassionally has a bin filled with clearence waders. often in the $20 to $30 range. You want to get the smooth rubber waders as chiggers and ticks have a hard time climbing them. The fabric type are to too easy for ticks and chiggers to climb. Also, I recommend a 5' to 6' walking stick (make it out of maple...trust me) this allows you to keep you balance when crossing those dead logs over the rivers and in the bogs in general. Good luck. Looking forward to more photos.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Thanks Bob. It occurred to me last night after thinking about your post that I could cut down (hopefully nobody is reading this) two or three small trees and lay them across the moat, similar to TG's picture. Just walking a few hundred yards on that trail in the old snow, with fallen trees and big branches across the trail was hard going, and the thought of carrying a board down there makes me tired just thinking about it. I keep a "Chainmate 24-Inch Survival Pocket Chain Saw" in my pack. I've only used it once but it works very well. I think I may give that a shot.

Absolutely do not do this.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Jon you can get to those bogs much easier from the west if your speaking of the big bogs at the southern end .You can drive in from Friendship road here. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.77026506033873&lng=-74.61020785968782&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=
You can drive this far and after that it gets tight. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.75428177717457&lng=-74.60299808185579&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx= By the way it is very sandy. You can possibly drive this far at least the last time I was there but it's tight. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=...-74.60097569625856&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=.Then walk a fairly good trail down the west side all the way to here no problem. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74468425200779&lng=-74.60095423858644&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx= I did this two years ago.Now going along the southern edge is a different matter.It can be done but you will be forced into the water at different points and this time of year you will probably be crashing through thin ice,not very safe.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I don't condone cutting trees in a state forest. I never thought that was a smart idea. Look for dead stuff.
Just trying to protect Jon. I know somebody else built those in your photos.
I appreciate it Bob, Woodjin and Ben. I promise not to cut down a single tree. In fact, if I see one that looks lonely, I intend to hug it. Just kidding, I'm devising a strategy on the fly and it's clear that dragging is good, cutting is bad.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Jon you can get to those bogs much easier from the west if your speaking of the big bogs at the southern end .You can drive in from Friendship road here. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.77026506033873&lng=-74.61020785968782&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=
You can drive this far and after that it gets tight. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.75428177717457&lng=-74.60299808185579&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx= By the way it is very sandy. You can possibly drive this far at least the last time I was there but it's tight. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=...-74.60097569625856&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx=.Then walk a fairly good trail down the west side all the way to here no problem. http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74468425200779&lng=-74.60095423858644&z=17&type=nj2007&gpx= I did this two years ago.Now going along the southern edge is a different matter.It can be done but you will be forced into the water at different points and this time of year you will probably be crashing through thin ice,not very safe.
That is excellent information MM, thanks. I had no idea that the bogs could be accessed from that direction. In fact, I am going out today, and I will try that route. Driving and walking sounds better and easier than bridge building, but maybe I can put a couple of bridges or boards together at home and place them strategically.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Also, when buying waders make sure they do not have a snap on the inside crouch. If they do they will hit together as you walk. I had to put duct tape across both of mine to stop this and eventually on a hike the tape wore out and I was again struggling to walk.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Also, when buying waders make sure they do not have a snap on the inside crouch. If they do they will hit together as you walk. I had to put duct tape across both of mine to stop this and eventually on a hike the tape wore out and I was again struggling to walk.
I will research the waders with that in mind, thanks!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The road I shown coming in on the west again is very sandy.As a hiut sand compacts when wet and is easier driving when wet.As it dries the air between the grains is what makes it soft.After all sand is crushed rock basically. If you have foru wheel it is no problem back there,If not be careful.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
The road I shown coming in on the west again is very sandy.As a hiut sand compacts when wet and is easier driving when wet.As it dries the air between the grains is what makes it soft.After all sand is crushed rock basically. If you have foru wheel it is no problem back there,If not be careful.
Thanks MM. I have AWD Highlander so I need to be careful on soft, narrow roads. I've already scratched the sides in the woods, and I have to distract my wife when she gets into the car so I won't get a tongue lashing.

Last edited:
Reactions: John and manumuskin

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks MM. I have AWD Highlander so I need to be careful on soft, narrow roads. I've already scratched the sides in the woods, and I have to distract my wife when she gets into the car so I won't get a tongue lashing.
Lol, Jon, this is the exact reason that I bought a beater Wrangler. I didn't want my wife to see the "piney pinstripes" that were accumulating on my 2013 Cherokee. ;)

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Lol, Jon, this is the exact reason that I bought a beater Wrangler. I didn't want my wife to see the "piney pinstripes" that were accumulating on my 2013 Cherokee. ;)
SC, a beater "Pine Mobile" sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could come to my house and stand next to me when I tell my wife that I want to buy another car.

Reactions: bobpbx