PBX guys, I need a way into the bog

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I took this picture at the not very exotic location, right off the bridge at Friendship-Speedwell Rd, this morning, Saturday, january 30, 2016. I was trying to get into the bogs off Carranza in the following area (see map link), but had to settle on the intersection-bridge since the sun was up:

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.748041681878135&lng=-74.59039706390382&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

After walking down the trail-road I ran into a dike-moat that my new 18" LaCrosse Grange (thanks for the advice) could not overcome. I have tried to get into these bogs from above off Carranza (near the legendary Anus Macgruber homestead). The question would be, is there access to the bog trails without wearing a full wader? The entire area seems to be flooded, unlike the bogs below them, off Hawkins Bridge Rd. Understand I have a 30 lbs of photo equipment and a tripod, and a spill into the water would be inadvisable.

Just wondering if anyone has a better route. Maybe I should bring a 12' board and lay it across the moat? It might reach.
friendship_speedwell_bog-1.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a tough area to get to without getting wet. There is always beaver activity changing things.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Usually that moat has a log bridge over it. It is possible to access it from here but it also can be wet. The last time I did it knee highs were not enough and I got wet. That is a really nice area where you want to go, maybe in a drier time.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.75181962599063&lng=-74.58556908767701&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

I also access it from here, probably not as deep but dense and with 30# ?
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74027067394411&lng=-74.58471078079225&z=16&type=nj1995&gpx=

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jon, are they the only bogs that will suit what you want to do? There are many other bogs and reservoirs' that are more accessable (depending on where you live).

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
If it were me, I'd attack it like this: (of course, I understand your carrying capacity...and....unless you have great circulation, uninsulated boots just won't do in the snow.

bobwalker.PNG

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Usually that moat has a log bridge over it. It is possible to access it from here but it also can be wet. The last time I did it knee highs were not enough and I got wet. That is a really nice area where you want to go, maybe in a drier time.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.75181962599063&lng=-74.58556908767701&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

I also access it from here, probably not as deep but dense and with 30# ?
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.74027067394411&lng=-74.58471078079225&z=16&type=nj1995&gpx=
Ecampbell, I am familiar with the second location and have done some exploring and photography in the area and on the other side of Hawkins Bridge Rd. I have not tried to walk into the upper bogs from that location though, and I will try that. Your first link is close to where I was today, and I will check that out, thank you!

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
If it were me, I'd attack it like this: (of course, I understand your carrying capacity...and....unless you have great circulation, uninsulated boots just won't do in the snow.

View attachment 7027
Thanks for the advice Bob. I will check out the routes you indicate. I assume they are not trails, but a trek through the woods (or maybe that's marsh?). As long as I can navigate the brush and swamp, and get across the first moat onto the bog dikes/trails, I would like to check some of those bogs out. I have explored the bogs farther down, on both sides of Hawkins Bridge Rd and they seem in generally better condition and mostly easier to walk around. I've also explored some of the bogs just above Carranza Rd. Each area has it's own surprises and unique characteristics. Shooting Atsion Lake, Whitesbog and Goshen Pond are okay, but the exploring the Friendship Bogs has been very interesting. One morning before sunrise a couple of months ago I came across a family of 4 otters frolicking in the pond. With the mist rising off the water, it looked at first like a sea serpent in the loch ness.

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
You can relatively easily get to this location by following the two arrows in Bob's photo above.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.75099785829005&lng=-74.59268632929803&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

However, the canal and briers there will hamper you from going across to the larger bogs so you really should not attempt that. If you do go look for the monument in the center.

View attachment 7029
Thanks for the location TG, I will check it out (assuming I can drag myself through the woods and get there).

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Now that is cool. Did you get any photos?
By the time I swapped my 16-35mm for 200mm they were pretty far away. I need a longer lens for real wildlife photography. These two shots are unfortunately the best I've got. They show 3 of the 4 otters. When I first saw them they were diving over each other, and all I saw was a sort of serpentine, sleek black, wet arching motion in the water. It took me a few seconds before I realized they were otters.
friendship_otters2-1.jpg
friendship_otters1-1.jpg

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jon, that light yellow is all sedges and leatherleaf, and the slightly gray above it on the first red line will be gum and maple swamp. The yellow areas (even out in the big bogs if yellow) will look like the photo below, and it could be wet due to beaver. I also checked it out on Bing Maps Birdseye, and where my lines end, I see another canal. If you absolutely must get back there, keep your photo gear in the car and find a way in through there and build a bridge first.

cslthlf.PNG

PS: my southern route only assumes a bridge. You most likely will not find one. Times are changing, and not many people get all excited about making them.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Jon, that light yellow is all sedges and leatherleaf, and the slightly gray above it on the first red line will be gum and maple swamp. The yellow areas (even out in the big bogs if yellow) will look like the photo below, and it could be wet due to beaver. I also checked it out on Bing Maps Birdseye, and where my lines end, I see another canal. If you absolutely must get back there, keep your photo gear in the car and find a way in through there and build a bridge first.

View attachment 7036

PS: my southern route only assumes a bridge. You most likely will not find one. Times are changing, and not many people get all excited about making them.
I was thinking of dragging a 12' x 2" x 8" board down the trail I walked today to lay it across the moat. I could do the same on the upper routes you drew. I have seen similar boards in the bogs and on the Batona trail, but I don't know if introducing manufactured objects into such a pristine environment would be considered bad form (like graffiti in the grand canyon). Maybe okay in the woods but not in the marsh? My enthusiasm for these bogs is growing. I am new to exploring them, but they provide great potential for interesting (for me anyway) landscape photography. Another shot taken minutes after the otter shots.
friendship_icey_brush-1.jpg

Reactions: John

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nice Shot Jon.

If you need help dragging that board, I'm game. I don't think you are ruining the environment. The board will slowly decay over the years, and people will use it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you start exploring more deeply in these area's make sure you take someone with you or tell someone exactly where you are going.

Reactions: smellinsage

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Just take the board and don't worry about anything else.

Back in 2004 there was a bridge across at the southern end of Friendship Bogs. Make sure you visit that area also.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.73303612564727&lng=-74.59318119686128&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

I have been in that area, on both sides of Hawkins Bridge Rd, a number of times now. I have not been down that particular trail though. Thanks for giving me another area to investigate. My son and I came across the longest beaver dam I've yet seen not far from your pin. It must have been 50 feet long. My son and I looked at that dam for 15 minutes. We couldn't believe it was constructed by a big rodent.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Nice Shot Jon.

If you need help dragging that board, I'm game. I don't think you are ruining the environment. The board will slowly decay over the years, and people will use it.
Thanks Bob. It occurred to me last night after thinking about your post that I could cut down (hopefully nobody is reading this) two or three small trees and lay them across the moat, similar to TG's picture. Just walking a few hundred yards on that trail in the old snow, with fallen trees and big branches across the trail was hard going, and the thought of carrying a board down there makes me tired just thinking about it. I keep a "Chainmate 24-Inch Survival Pocket Chain Saw" in my pack. I've only used it once but it works very well. I think I may give that a shot.