PBX guys, I need a way into the bog

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
What tripod do you carry? I strap mine low on my backpack when I take it, but usually only take the monopod which doubles as a hiking stick.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I would love to carry a hiking stick and I made one from a sapling, not sure what wood. But I have to carry my tripod in a case, which leaves one free hand to hang onto brush and trees when swinging around a narrow path or by water's edge. I did pick up a pair of Carhartt leather gloves, which definitely helps with the briars.
My favorite walking sticks are saplings I've pulled out of beaver dams, usually cedar. Most have the bark and branches already and it's just a matter of picking out what size you want.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
What tripod do you carry? I strap mine low on my backpack when I take it, but usually only take the monopod which doubles as a hiking stick.
I've got a Gitzo Mountaineer with a Sirui ball head, total a few lbs of weight. If I hang it off the tripod carrier on my backpack it throws the weight off to one side, plus it gets caught. I use it as a battering ram (in the case) to push through briars and brush.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Foggy sunrise this morning, March 16. While I was facing in this direction, I heard water move behind me. I turned and watched a beaver swimming about 20 yards away. I was standing on his lodge and assumed that he didn't see me, but as he swam closer he was looking right at me. He stopped and stared at me at the base of the lodge, 4 foot away. I was wondering if he was going to charge me. I disengaged my camera from the tripod and as I turned back, stumbled slightly. He twisted and dove with a loud "WHAP". I'm pretty sure he was a beaver, but when he was right up on me I thought he might be a curious otter. Couldn't see his body.
bog_fog.jpg

Clear cold morning, Monday March 7.
bog_logs.jpg

Reactions: John and manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Foggy sunrise this morning, March 16. While I was facing in this direction, I heard water move behind me. I turned and watched a beaver swimming about 20 yards away. I was standing on his lodge and assumed that he didn't see me, but as he swam closer he was looking right at me. He stopped and stared at me at the base of the lodge, 4 foot away. I was wondering if he was going to charge me. I disengaged my camera from the tripod and as I turned back, stumbled slightly. He twisted and dove with a loud "WHAP". I'm pretty sure he was a beaver, but when he was right up on me I thought he might be a curious otter. Couldn't see his body.
View attachment 7192
Clear cold morning, Monday March 7.
View attachment 7193
Love that bottom photo.Did you tweak it to get that shade of blue or did you just catch the light right? Gorgeous!

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I was looking for sunrise light and mist this morning, but instead got more heavy fog. I am posting this rather dull picture to ask yet another question if anyone cares to answer. Before sunrise, as I stood quietly on the dike I heard a loud splash. And as I moved in and set-up, it sounded like depth charges going into the water every few minutes, like otters were hurling themselves out of trees it was so loud. Or were the loud "Palumphs" beaver? These bogs seem to be bustling with activity the past two days.
bog_foggy_dike.jpg

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Jon, could it have been beavers slapping their tails on the water. They will do this if they feel uncomfortable, threatened, or someone is to close?
It sounded like someone dropped a filled 5 gallon bucket into swimming pool. Like something heavy falling into the water. Now the otter/beaver I saw yesterday made a loud "GLUMPH" sound when it turned and dove, and it was already in the water. I wouldn't call it a slap, unless beav slapped while he was diving.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Many moons ago I was in Maine with a friend fishing a pond for brook trout from a canoe. There were so many beavers they looked like waterbugs. If we got too close one would sound the warning and then it sounded like a bombs going off as the others did the same. We got even by slapping the water with a paddle and watched them swim under the canoe. An interesting evening. Otters don't do the slap, they rather swim silently away.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Many moons ago I was in Maine with a friend fishing a pond for brook trout from a canoe. There were so many beavers they looked like waterbugs. If we got too close one would sound the warning and then it sounded like a bombs going off as the others did the same. We got even by slapping the water with a paddle and watched them swim under the canoe. An interesting evening. Otters don't do the slap, they rather swim silently away.
In the pre-dawn quiet of the bog, it did sound like bombs going off. I climbed over two lodges so I can't blame them for getting peeved.