Photo Archives--Forked River Mountain Coalition

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob ...I seem to remember going back after the hike because it was late in the evening. However, my hips we so sore that day I don't see me going back the same day. Maybe we did but I can't prove it.
Guy

No, we did not...in fact I think it was a few years later. Do you remember it was cold out and Paul came with us? I think Scott was there as well. It was one of those short spur of the moment outings...it may have been a Sunday morning in fact.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No, we did not...in fact I think it was a few years later. Do you remember it was cold out and Paul came with us? I think Scott was there as well. It was one of those short spur of the moment outings...it may have been a Sunday morning in fact.

Okay. I will continue to look.

I was at Hampton Park (Furnace) yesterday and the changes there in my time in the pines are unbelievable. The place now is more like a slum than anything to me. it is really hard to go there now. It was a wonderful place to visit that only my memory and photo's show. Very sad!

Hampton is particularly bad. I remember when you posted that "Then and now" photo from there (it's probably still in the images gallery somewhere), it's unbelievable how much was pilfered. And for what?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Guy, I remember the 4 Watersheds hike clearly, until I am proven wrong of course.:p
You meet me at my house and we drove down 523 to 539, there was lots of black ice that morning and some woman spun out at the Chatsworth Bridge.
http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/4-watersheds-in-a-day-a-pbx-hike.1365/
At the end of your post you have a link to our route. Do you still have it? You never throw anything away and it has rubbed off on me.:)
All of my pictures of that day are in the same folder and have the same date stamp.
It's a shame the links are brocken. I hope when we now post in the message body that they stick around.
IMG_0002s.JPG

IMG_0005s.JPG

As for Aserdaten, yes I was there. I remember Bob taking us to some ruins for some fun. Black's Bridge was completely flooded and I remember someone, I think it was Behr, drive through it as if he knew the bridge was still there, I followed him when he didn't disappear.

I believe we went back for the body another day. You then took us to look for a marker and explained how it was laid out with satellite markers incase the primary was missing.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

I will fix the photo's in that thread so the links work. I have the waypoints for the hike but as of yet I have not found the tracks. I used a different program back then and it has not been compatible with my computer for year. Hopefully, I still have the tracks.

I remember the black ice and everything else.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
For the most part that concrete is holding up. Maybe a little rounded on the edges though.

Slide 18--1973. These go together. I hereby make no assertion as to proper identification of the flower species, even after you identify it. I will award 25 points if you get the title of the flower correct (as listed on the slide), and 75 points for the approximate location (i.e, name of the road).

This is a poor photo of the orange crested (aka yellow crested) orchid, Platanthera cristata, back in 1975 known as Habenaria cristata. It could have been taken along the Oswego Lake Road near the Cranberry/ Blueberry Lab (Marucci Center. Another possibility is the road at Bamber.

Slide 18--1973. These go together. I hereby make no assertion as to proper identification of the flower species, even after you identify it. I will award 25 points if you get the title of the flower correct (as listed on the slide), and 75 points for the approximate location (i.e, name of the road).

View attachment 4717
This is a very poor photo of the orange crested orchid (aka the yellow crested orchid, Platanthera cristata. Back in 1973 it was known as Habenaria cristata. It was possibly taken along Oswego Road near the Cranberry/Blueberry Lab (the Marucci Center) or possibly along the road at Bamber.

View attachment 4717
This is a poor photo of the orange crested (aka yellow crested) orchid, Platanthera cristata, back in 1973 known as Habenaria cristata. It was possibly taken along the road to Oswego Road near the Cranberry /Blueberry Lab (Marucci Center)) or perhaps along the Dover-Bamber Road near Dover Forge.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
All in all, I'm sure all of us would rather see it in a totally undisturbed condition--so much more conducive to reflection of times past. Pretty hard to get into the mood with this looking back at you. Imagine bringing friends to these ruins for the first time. They'd say, "why did you bring me to this dump?". Very sad.

PS today.PNG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is a poor photo of the orange crested (aka yellow crested) orchid, Platanthera cristata, back in 1973 known as Habenaria cristata. It was possibly taken along the road to Oswego Road near the Cranberry /Blueberry Lab (Marucci Center)) or perhaps along the Dover-Bamber Road near Dover Forge.

Ted, the slide says..."Pasadena". Additionally, you can see the railroad track in the slide. That rules out both of your possibles.

Did it say Platanthera on the slide? Maybe Blephariglottis ciliaris?
Bob,
Tom is correct. Of course after I said orange crested orchid, there was no other choice left than orange fringed orchid. I reexamined the flower and carefully looked at the spur, which is longer than that of the crested. You could not make a determination by the fringe, because the photo is so out of focus that the fringe actually looks like that of the crested, but the spur is too long. Now that you mentioned the rail in the slide, I know exactly where the slide was taken at Pasadena. No crested orchids grew at the site, but there was a fine population of the fringed along with Pine Barrens Gentian. This once large population was deliberately destroyed many years ago by dumping sand on the population, as arranged by one local resident because he was annoyed by the many photographers that would yearly stop here to photograph and disturb his peace.