Photo Archives--Forked River Mountain Coalition

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks Ed, I noticed the word "of" is missing now, for starters. Also, what is that "willie" one above the girls gravestone in your second photo? I never even knew about that one.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I figured Union Clay Works was an easy one. Guy beat me to the Crossley answer. That is when I was going back through the thread.

It is amazing how much has changed in some of the locations of Elizabeth's pictures. I can go back to areas in the woods around my hometown in Vermont and it looks the same as it did when I was a young boy. I love Vermont, but the woods are quite boring compared to the Pines of Jersey.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Here is a wider view from our hike in 2004. Actually you took me there. I think Willie was there then and another standing grave stone.
IMG_0009s.JPG

P1100328s.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That was the day!

That photo would have been better if we took Bob's pack, gloves, and hat off.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We went back another day with the shovel. I have to look for the date.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just want to say that if you have a guess on any of these, please toss it into the hat. I am deliberately vague on my answers, and Bob does not give them out so that anyone can be the first to come up with the correct location. So please join in and make this thread a group discussion.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes I am pretty sure, but I can be wrong. My notes say so. Guy would know for sure.

Well, I can't really say for sure Ed. I looked over the info I have from the day and we did not go near the grave it appears. However, I can't even find my photo of Bob laying in the wood pile. Either I didn't take any or they are missing.

I checked my 1/15/2005 records and I was at Aserdaten with Bob and at least two other individuals. I see their legs in my photo. Ed, did you go to Aserdaten with us?

Bob ...I seem to remember going back after the hike because it was late in the evening. However, my hips we so sore that day I don't see me going back the same day. Maybe we did but I can't prove it.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm sure it once was, but this slide is also reversed.

My photo's don't clearly show that but the 1938 photo clearly does. It is mirrored improperly which is easy to do with slides. Just look at the top 5 windows.

109101pv.jpg

Reactions: John

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Very easy to do indeed Guy. I'm glad I no longer do slide presentations. I was forever apologizing for upsidedown and backwards slides after making last-minute changes to the caruosel.

I might not have even not caught the windows in the newer addition being on the wrong side, but the guardrails of the bridge are in the forefront of the photo, so the house should have been on the right side of the road.

Hard to make this a group participation thread, you guys are too good ;). Like I said, I only recognized one slide so far, but these are all from before I was born (and many are from 20 years before I started going into the pines). I'm amazed how much changes, and how many places I've never been!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hard to make this a group participation thread, you guys are too good ;). Like I said, I only recognized one slide so far, but these are all from before I was born (and many are from 20 years before I started going into the pines). I'm amazed how much changes, and how many places I've never been!

I was at Hampton Park (Furnace) yesterday and the changes there in my time in the pines are unbelievable. The place now is more like a slum than anything to me. it is really hard to go there now. It was a wonderful place to visit that only my memory and photo's show. Very sad!