Pine Barren History Shorts

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just before 11/23/1934 Henry Beck and the "Lost Town Hunters" on their quest to find lost towns stopped into Harrisville and ran into a man from Chatsworth named Herbert Anderson. Anderson had just bagged a red fox and held it up for Beck and whoever was with him to photograph. Anderson looks proud of his fine catch, and in the background you can see Harrisville lake with water in it.

Today, was my chance to photograph Anderson, this time at his final resting place in the Chatsworth Cemetery. He was 19 years old when Beck met him and Anderson had a lifetime of experiences to still enjoy. He served in the US Army during WW2 leaving as a Corporal, and passed away in 1969.

IMG_4056a.JPG

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just before 11/23/1934 [....] Anderson had just bagged a red fox and held it up for Beck and whoever was with him to photograph. Anderson looks proud of his fine catch, and in the background you can see Harrisville lake with water in it.

That's very interesting. The so-called "1930" aerials were actually shot over a period of time, the metadata says

"black and white photography of New Jersey from the early 1930s."

Since they don't show the lake, I wonder if that means the Harrisville plate was shot after 1934, or if the dam was built before 1934 and the 1949 topo map is incorrect? Or maybe there was a period where the old dam broke and was repaired again?

Isn't there some kind of name plate on the new dam? Does it have a date?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That's very interesting. The so-called "1930" aerials were actually shot over a period of time, the metadata says

"black and white photography of New Jersey from the early 1930s."

Since they don't show the lake, I wonder if that means the Harrisville plate was shot after 1934, or if the dam was built before 1934 and the 1949 topo map is incorrect? Or maybe there was a period where the old dam broke and was repaired again?

Isn't there some kind of name plate on the new dam? Does it have a date?

Here is a photo taken by me when the new dam was built. The date is on my slide which is packed away right now. However, it certainly is 1973 or after. The old dam was there when I first visited but I never took a photo of it I believe. In this photo at the bottom on the right you can see the old wooden guard rail with the cables going through it.

Note: This photo MAY be mirrored improperly but I doubt it..

harrisville.JPG

I have an article about the building of the dam in my photo above and it shows photos of the remains of the first dam built. It may say the date. That should be easier for me to find so I will try to do that tonight.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay. This is 1970 from the Batsto Citizens Gazette. The Burlington County Library has the rights to the Gazette and I wrote them multiple times asking if photos from the publication can be posted. Nobody responded. Since it is the library I am posting it.

So this was 1970 and was before the current dam, and it shows the original dam foundation.

BCG_Summer1970_Harrisville_Dam.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I saw this article that was interesting and have edited it to only include Pine Barren material.

8/27/1932

STOLEN AUTO FOUND IN BANDIT HOLDUPS

Haddonfield Car Located by Police in Delaware Township (Cherry Hill)

Recovered after it has been used by bandits in a sensational series of holdups on the shore road (Route 9)

Both Chief Start and Chief Branon said that they have evidence that will lead, they hope, to the capture of the thieves. Fingerprints on the garage door and in the car, as well as details learned concerning the movements and methods of several suspects were being tabulated today. Efforts was being made to connect bandits with a gang which, according to an unsubstantiated report, set up a machine gun at the side of the lonely Chatsworth-New Gretna Road, Burlington County, and held up several motorists over the weekend.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Courier Post 8/21/1939

Edited.

In the Chatsworth district in Central Jersey where the crack Blue Comet was derailed Saturday night, three bridges collapsed and two others were under flooding streams. The one on Green Bank-Pleasant Mill Road was expected to go any minute late last night.One bridge was swept away at Harrisonville (Harrisville) Road, and the other at Sweetwater.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
12/16/1929

While most of the clubs have their own lodges, the member taking up quarters preparatory to the opening of the season, others going forth with tents and equipment for their five days stay. The Clementon Gunning Club has abandoned that plan.

The members although enjoying the open as much as other outdoorsmen, have concluded it is far more advantageous to go to their stands by aid of buses. So they plan to make the trip daily to Woodmansie and the Pasadena areas by that method. After the day's sport is concluded they will return home for the real test, starting again the following day.

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
12/16/1929

While most of the clubs have their own lodges, the member taking up quarters preparatory to the opening of the season, others going forth with tents and equipment for their five days stay. The Clementon Gunning Club has abandoned that plan.

The members although enjoying the open as much as other outdoorsmen, have concluded it is far more advantageous to go to their stands by aid of buses. So they plan to make the trip daily to Woodmansie and the Pasadena areas by that method. After the day's sport is concluded they will return home for the real test, starting again the following day.
Guy was this from the Courier ? I want to forward to my friend Dave.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So, where is Montgomery road in Tabernacle??

4/8/1952

Tabernacle to Receive Road Surface Bids

Sealed proposals for the surface treatment of 5 township roads, will be received at meeting of the township committee in the Tabernacle school next Tuesday, at 7:30 PM.

Roads to be improved include Section 2, Bozarthtown road; Section 1, Moores Meadow road and the Friendship, Montgomery and Old Tuckerton roads.

The approximate amount of surface treatment is 19, 476 square yards. Each proposal must be accompanied by a certified check for not less than ten percent of the amount bid, provided the check shall be not more than $20,000, according to F. Winfield Haines, township Clerk.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have asked around to other people who may know. It could be a road that the locals called Montgomery Road.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is a Montgomery farm on Carranza road near Brace road. The road names may have changed?

Yes, I noticed that and went to the Historic Aerials and could not see where the roads in that area were worked on. But it could be that road or Brace road.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
The address for Montgomery Farms is 257 Carranza Road. However, its homestead is 0.22 miles off of Carranza.. It could be the road leading to the farm house.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
Yes, I noticed that and went to the Historic Aerials and could not see where the roads in that area were worked on. But it could be that road or Brace road.

Guy I checked with all the longevity folks in Tabernacle and nobody has ever heard of Montgomery Road? The Montgomery family did not live around here back in that time. And also the dirt road leading in to the Montgomery farm is a private drive not public. I even spoke to the Township Administrator which has been in this town his whole life and he said he’s never heard of it. One lifetime resident and former Committee person that worked with Mr. Haines through the years said he’s never heard of Montgomery Road. So it’s definitely a mystery.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you Piney Warden. I will continue to research this and hopefully I or someone else will have an answer.