Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Mt. Relief.jpg

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

The two of us visited the Fairton cemetery again today to take a photo of the gravestone Beck was photographing in the photo in post 252, and to also take a photo at the location on page 190 in the Forgotten Towns Of South Jersey paperback. It was perfectly dry here when we left home, and by the time we got there it was raining pretty hard. I had to leave my book in the car and use my cell phone as a guide. Unfortunately, it was not a good way to go so my photo is a little too close. In any event, this is the best I could do today.

DSC_0383a.jpg

Grave of Jane Harris.

DSC_0387a.jpg

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Tom,

Just a little info on a portion of the map you posted. The property with the "Magenta" colored arrow below was at one time owned by a Joseph Taylor, and also Asa Pitman and his brother-in-law Levi Eckman. I have found 3 of the 4 corner stones for that property.

The bridge shown at the "Red" arrow became useless when the CCC altered the route of the road from Mt. Misery and built the small span that one crosses when driving that road today. The remains of the original bridge are still there shown below. The two roads leading down from the north judging by old aerials was the route Asa Pitman used to get to his other property, formally owned by William B. Wills, just south of there.

Mt. Relief_.jpg

IMG_0428a.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The two of us visited the Fairton cemetery again today to take a photo of the gravestone Beck was photographing in the photo in post 252, and to also take a photo at the location on page 190 in the Forgotten Towns Of South Jersey paperback. It was perfectly dry here when we left home, and by the time we got there it was raining pretty hard. I had to leave my book in the car and use my cell phone as a guide. Unfortunately, it was not a good way to go so my photo is a little too close. In any event, this is the best I could do today.

View attachment 14153

Grave of Jane Harris.

View attachment 14154
Thats Manumuskin country!

Reactions: Menantico and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, we were near you. Also were in Repaupo driving by my great grandparents old home on my moms side, got lost riding around Paulsboro, and later visited my great grandparents grave on my dads side in Cherry Hill getting the GPS coordinates.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
To the best of my knowledge I have no ancestors in the Old Stone Church Graveyard but their in almost every other graveyards in Cumberland eastern Salem and Gloucester counties with some in Cape May, Atlantic and Burlington as well.Every cemetery in Bridgeton has a few of em.My Dad was from Cedarville right down the road from the Old Stone Church

Matter of fact the old tree that killed him is on the tight bend on Mulfrod ave in Cedarville,The scar is still visible and this happened in 66

Reactions: Menantico

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Tom,

Just a little info on a portion of the map you posted. The property with the "Magenta" colored arrow below was at one time owned by a Joseph Taylor, and also Asa Pitman and his brother-in-law Levi Eckman. I have found 3 of the 4 corner stones for that property.

The bridge shown at the "Red" arrow became useless when the CCC altered the route of the road from Mt. Misery and built the small span that one crosses when driving that road today. The remains of the original bridge are still there shown below. The two roads leading down from the north judging by old aerials was the route Asa Pitman used to get to his other property, formally owned by William B. Wills, just south of there.

Guy,

Do you know if Asa Pitman is related to George Henry Pitman? I have a deed for a lot in Browns Mills transferring title from George Pitman to Eayre Lippincott near lands of Selah Schull and Levi Parker. I have never understood why I have this deed, as I am not aware of any relation between the Pitmans or the Lippincotts and the Jones family. Now, this particular piece of property was originaly purchased by George H. Pitman and Daniel Harker from Joseph Gibbs Jones and Edward Carpenter. But that doesn't explain why I have Pitmans deed to Lippincott.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I do not know the answer to that Tom. I believe his dad was Charles H. but that may not even be correct.

The person who absolutely would know would be Jerseyman as he holds the holy grail. You would have to write him or call because he no longer posts here.

Reactions: Boyd and Tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am glad you enjoyed them. I have hundred's of other articles but because of copyright issues I have to type everything. And since I am a two finger typist you can see my problem.

This is just a very very small fraction of the articles I have not even separated yet all piled on each other

news.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I thought I was the only one beating keys with two middle fingers! I have to quit being lazy with my punctuation and capitals since you seem to make due with two fingers. Typing, the only subject I didn't take in school i wish i did.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I will never forget typing class, we had manual Smith-Corona office typewriters with metal caps on the keys to hide the letters. But it has served me well, I am a fast touch-typist. I make a LOT of mistakes though. ;)

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bog Workers Jailed

5/26/1952

Whiting- James Butler, 37, and Robert Watts, 32, employees at Beaver Dam cranberry bogs, Route 40 (Route 70), were sentenced to 30 days each in the Ocean County jail yesterday on disorderly conduct charges, state police at Toms River reported.

Butler and Watts were arrested at Route 40 and Browns Mills Road by police for fighting after drinking, police related. Manchester Township Magistrate Frank Colt imposed the penalties.

Reactions: Boyd and bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
4/30/1914

New Egypt

James South has moved his family from Brindle Park to the house on Beaver Dam cranberry bog.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
7/28/1879

Sawed His Fingers

Mr. John Wilcox, proprietor of the comb factory at Berlin, while running a saw on Saturday allowed his left hand to come in contact with the teeth, and had four of his fingers of the left hand almost severed. Dr. Stout's early arrival and skillful dressing may save the fingers.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
11/29/1897

Below Hampton Gate is a little church in which African Methodists used to worship. It is in fairly good condition, but plainly shows the marks of time. A few grave stones in the rear of the church mark the last resting places of those who were active in the work of the church when it was a power in the community.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
This post confused me until I looked at the date. I assume it referring to the cemetery located here.
The cemetery is still there, But it is somewhat sad place with unkept graves. Photos taken 5/17/2002.
AME_signs.jpg

AME_Eares_stone2s.jpg

AME_loveme_marker s.jpg

AME_temp_marker s.jpg

11/29/1897

Below Hampton Gate is a little church in which African Methodists used to worship. It is in fairly good condition, but plainly shows the marks of time. A few grave stones in the rear of the church mark the last resting places of those who were active in the work of the church when it was a power in the community.

Reactions: Rooftree and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wish the article had a photo of the place but it didn't. As soon as I read it I knew where it was. I don't remember the church being there when I first passed though.