Pine Barrens in for late season hurricane or big northeaster?

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
right on my days off.I had plans too.Never been in a cedar swamp during a hurricane,might be interesting.

When I lived in Florida, folks used to tell me that people sometimes stayed outside and tied themselves to trees during hurricanes so they didn't blow away. They called it a 'hurricane party'. Not sure if it's a myth, but I'd expect that the flying debris would kill them if the winds were strong enough to merit being tied to a tree.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
I didn't see a new thread this year, so this maybe a little off topic, but due to the weather... does any one know if there is a "rain date" for the annual Wharton SF clean up that is scheduled for this Sunday?

John-

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I didn't see a new thread this year, so this maybe a little off topic, but due to the weather... does any one know if there is a "rain date" for the annual Wharton SF clean up that is scheduled for this Sunday?

John-

Not sure, but there are a few individuals here who will know that and hopefully they will post that for you and others.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Not looking good for NJ this morning, as we will all be on the wrong side of the storm and it looks to now be hurricane force when it arrives, not a tropical storm as earlier predicted. Sat/Sun will tell the tale.

http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/plan/pdf/maps/stateroads_slosh.pdf

084338W5_NL_sm.gif

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see a real problem with this one. Narrowing it down to the barrens itself, I see many roads and bridges washed out and it will be months if not years for them to be fixed. Maybe it will wash the beavers downstream at Webbs Mill ;)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
When I lived in Florida, folks used to tell me that people sometimes stayed outside and tied themselves to trees during hurricanes so they didn't blow away.

Perhaps they had watched the 1937 movie 'The Hurricane', by John Ford. There is a scene in it where that happens.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I see a real problem with this one. Narrowing it down to the barrens itself, I see many roads and bridges washed out and it will be months if not years for them to be fixed. Maybe it will wash the beavers downstream at Webbs Mill ;)

The erosion along Jones Rd. and the road up to the top of the Forked River Mountains was really bad when I was there last Saturday. I think those roads are going to end up being impassible.

If the road up to the mountain becomes impassible except to those on quads/dirtbikes/etc. I can see that side of the mountain getting torn up just as badly as the side by the "scenic overlook." I don't want to sound alarmist, but I think we might be close to seeing the mountain be ruined.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I am in the 4 to 6 inch zone on that map. Since the water levels are so low going into the storm, it doesn't seem like that would cause any long term problems around here. But who knows? I think I'm ready, now we just have to wait until there is a better idea of exactly what to expect.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I am in the 4 to 6 inch zone on that map. Since the water levels are so low going into the storm, it doesn't seem like that would cause any long term problems around here. But who knows? I think I'm ready, now we just have to wait until there is a better idea of exactly what to expect.
Between you and me I like to see this thing just go out to sea and stay there

Reactions: noboat

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I don't know about this one. I usually don't worry but for some reason I have a very bad vibe about this storm. I changed the oil in the generator, filled up the gas container, sharpened the blades on both chainsaws, and borrowed the large pump from work. I still have a bit of nervous energy left in me. Strange. I'm not the only one am I?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I don't know about this one. I usually don't worry but for some reason I have a very bad vibe about this storm. I changed the oil in the generator, filled up the gas container, sharpened the blades on both chainsaws, and borrowed the large pump from work. I still have a bit of nervous energy left in me. Strange. I'm not the only one am I?

I'm waiting until tomorrow to worry, but I did take the canoe off its rack just in case :confused: With each hurricane center update the westerly turn gets earlier, bringing it onshore more south. I did notice folks are not messing around; parking lots at H-Depot, Lowes, supermarkets are packed, maybe because its a Friday. I'm very hesitant about turning on the Weather Channel :eek: