Pinks are up....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
With the popularity of trying to grow these plants at home, we are seeing an increase of thefts of them.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Some good news for Webb's Mill - Rose Pogonia will be blooming shortly! Today there were multiple plants in bud.:)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Some good news for Webb's Mill - Rose Pogonia will be blooming shortly! Today there were multiple plants in bud.:)

The resiliency of nature is truly amazing. It has been about 4 years since the hostile beaver invasion. I'll have to stop by sometime this week.

From a time long, long ago :D

111152795.jpg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Yesterday, the water was overflowing the road. It may be in danger of washing out. The water was at least a foot deep by the corrugated pipe. There was also another small stream crossing above the parking spot along the right side as you drive in.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is obvious the beavers have given up on the dam, they now are concentrating on the pipe. That really needs to be solved and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It has been. I was there and with my small car could just make it around a large hole by the pipe. Soon after it was fixed. So someone is fixing it but not solving the problem.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The section above the culvert is definitely lower than the rest of the road now. It has gradually worn away over the last few months.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It has been. I was there and with my small car could just make it around a large hole by the pipe. Soon after it was fixed. So someone is fixing it but not solving the problem.

That was the case last year, or the year before, when we had the heavy rains and it washed out at the large pipe. Twas soon filled in, to be washed out again. Perhaps it's best to just leave it washed out, not much of a detour to get around it.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
While I was walking through Parker Preserve this afternoon, I saw that the fight with the beaver at one of the controls has escalated into a more modern war. A beaver-baffler such as this needs to be constructed at the Webbs Mill's culvert. The pipe past the wooden platform is perforated but it can't been seen in the photograph.

beaverbuster.jpg

Reactions: oji

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The water level rise caused by beaver are really affecting the Narthecium population in the area.

Oji, I started to hike in but I left early because the sky looked threatening and I didn't want to be exposed out in the bogs if it began to rain heavily. I could see where the water level was by the black left over residue. It was very high. The pipe set up is definitely making a difference.