Railroaded

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Now,
Not that I am 100% sure on this one, but I thought scrap yards, at least the regular ones we public folk would use, will not take scrap relating to rails...
The cast plates, the discarded pins, and most of all, track itself. I know my local one won't. I think they're even supposed to take tag #'s from vehicles trying to bring in rail scrap.
Some big time offense? Federal? Perhaps Jerseyman knows if this is urban myth or not. If that is the case, this scrap would have been salvagable only at a place that could take it. Then again, I've been wrong before.

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is a great article! That contractor should have checked into that one.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Route 72 in Stafford ?????

Something wrong there.

Guy

An Eagle-Eye Truck Kinda Guy!

Folks:

Glad that Clayton Sand Company truck driver was on the job!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

I agree with you, Guy—either the reporter or the police officer can’t tell the difference between Stafford Township, Ocean County and Woodland Township, Burlington County. Or, possibly the police said down towards Route 72, but still within Stafford Township.

George—many scrap yards are less than scrupulous and will take items that they absolutely KNOW are stolen. I know of no federal or state law that applies specifically to railroad-related material. The people caught are usually charged with a whole host of offenses, including trespassing, theft, etc. I remember back in 1972 when the State Police caught several Trenton residents removing rail from the old Kinkora Branch just east of the Route 130 overpass during the Penn Central days. They ended up going to prison for several years. When NJ Trainset built the RiverLine, the state earmarked numerous artifacts for salvage and preservation. The contractor stored all of these items in a locked yard in Riverside. Yet, when the state ordered the contractor to begin placing these artifacts on display, the contractor reported that many of them had just simply “disappeared.” While the state expressed their displeasure about the situation, ultimately little could be done.

BTW, George, I will respond to your email tomorrow.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
George—many scrap yards are less than scrupulous and will take items that they absolutely KNOW are stolen. I know of no federal or state law that applies specifically to railroad-related material. The people caught are usually charged with a whole host of offenses, including trespassing, theft, etc.
Best regards,
Jerseyman

I guess that would mean that the yard around the corner from me owned by distant relatives of mine is a "Scrupulous" yard as I would expect.
I also thought that rail steel was of a different type and had to be dealt with differently than other types of iron. Again, probably wrong.

On Rail "theft", some years back a good friend of mine lived in Clementon right along the rails. He is a pretty honest guy. There was a project under which miles it seems of copper wire overhead was removed or replaced and the discard lay for countless months. Eventually he assumed it was to be left and started cutting huge sctions, rolling up, and scrapping. He did NOT really think he was doing anything wrong, right up until he was arrested and recieved a misdemeanor charge for it. Lesson learned.

G.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
This is the second time in this area. The first was right in Chatsworth. They, the operative word, worked for NJ Transit and used the company vehicle to take the tracks that once were in Chatsworth.

They also got caught :)

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I work for a civil engineer. Years ago, manhole lids were going missing. We had to visit local scrap yards to look for them. When we found some in a yard in Camden, the Police had the scrapyard's management watching out. In a few days, we got a call that someone just off-loaded 17 manhole lids. If I recall correctly, there were around 15 incidents of people driving into open manholes.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
I work for a civil engineer. Years ago, manhole lids were going missing. We had to visit local scrap yards to look for them. When we found some in a yard in Camden, the Police had the scrapyard's management watching out. In a few days, we got a call that someone just off-loaded 17 manhole lids. If I recall correctly, there were around 15 incidents of people driving into open manholes.

How much do they weigh?

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
In CC Philadelphia, popular items are the electrical wiring access plates on the street lamps. I guess the junk yards don't notice they're all the same, have drilled holes, etc. Just aluminum scrap.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
Usually RR tracks (if they are in use) are private property and with trains moving through it can be risky.
If there is room along side the tracks without walking on them it'd be a better bet.
Nonetheless sometimes having to cross railroad tracks is unavoidable, best to look both ways before you cross to make sure a train aint coming.
At least you dont have 3rd rail in NJ, the electric trains use wires. Here on LI we have 3rd rail, and I wont go near it.

Mar 1, 2008
i was talking about hiking the length of the rail road tracks in the pines, from atsion, through carranza to chatsworth. i think they even extend over rt. 72 across a small bridge. that'd be a cool spot to hike to.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
If you're going from Atsion to Chatsworth you won't cross 72. If you're going from Chatsworth to Woodmansie you will cross 72, and yes, there is a small iron bridge that runs across 72 along Savoy Blvd. It's right by the ORV Park.

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
I have travaled from atsion to chatsworth along the tracks when I was in High school, camped along the way and along the side of chatsworth lake.
was on a 12 speed bike.. skinny tires and all...