RAIN?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
ForecasCould finally get some bona fide precipitation.

Be careful what you wish for! Looks more like 2 to 3 inches.

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 7.53.30 AM.png

Reactions: stiltzkin

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Not that I am not looking for flooding, but I would like to see some rain. My lawn sounds like twigs snapping when you walk across it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Man, it was really pounding down here for awhile, front is moving out now and it has stopped. The garbageman left the can open and it looked like over two inches of water in the bottom.

The rain messed with the computer on my car somehow, was pouring when I went out an hour ago and got a whole string of errors from the airbags, ABS, etc. when I started it. Everything was OK yesterday and it ran fine so I drove about 5 miles on an errand. Afterwards, no more errors... weird. :ninja:

Roads were flooding when I was out, getting a bit deep in a couple spots. Turns out that I was right in the middle of this:

Flood Advisory
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
1244 PM EDT Tue Sep 6 2022

NJZ021>024-070800-
Cumberland-Atlantic-Cape May-Atlantic Coastal Cape May-

...FLOOD ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall continues.

* WHERE...A portion of southern New Jersey...including the following
county...Atlantic.

* WHEN...Until 200 PM EDT.

* IMPACTS...Minor flooding in low-lying and poor drainage areas.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
- At 1242 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain due to
thunderstorms. Minor flooding is ongoing or expected to begin
shortly across portions of the advisory area. Between 1 and 3
inches of rain have fallen.
- Some locations that may experience flooding include...
Atlantic City, Pleasantville, Hammonton, Buena, Egg Harbor
City, Weymouth, Estell Manor, Port Republic, Corbin City,
Elwood-Magnolia, and Mays Landing.
- This includes the following highways...
Garden State Parkway between mile markers 41 and 48.
Atlantic City Expressway near mile marker 0...and

between mile markers 13 and 29.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
This past week's rain had no effect on the drought. It just gave a false sense of improvement on conditions.

Yes unless we get a few 2" rain events spread out over 4-5 days at a shot, or get the remnants of a tropical depression on top of a few rainy days, we're going to stay pretty deep into it. Still hoping for some rain bands from a TS sometime in the next few weeks.

Up here in Mercer County they're predicting about 1" over the next two days, with potential for heavier precip within any thunderstorms that occur. Any little bit helps.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
This past week's rain had no effect on the drought. It just gave a false sense of improvement on conditions.

Not so sure about that. Look at the date in the PDF file you posted, it was released on Sep 8 (Thursday) but the data is from Sep 6 (Tuesday), which is the day we had the heavy rain. So, I suspect that storm isn't included because that data wouldn't have been available until the next day (Sep 7). Guess we will have to wait until Thursday to find out for sure. Here's a link to the NJ map at drought.gov

We're getting some significant rain here again today and the radar looks like more could be headed our way.

Reactions: NJChileHead

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I think I won't really believe we are out of a drought until I see for myself a cedar swamp flooded with water, or a creek at about the usual height. Haven't seen that yet.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Got about 1/10 inch here yesterday, the bigger front broke up before it reached me. But things haven't dried out since before the storm last Tuesday, making for some very humid conditions. 79 degrees with 75% humidity right now.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
My wish from post #1092 may be coming true. I hope that any impact to those in the Southeast is minimal. Out of respect for others in the path I'm not cheering on a hurricane, but if Ian drops some good rain on us I won't be unhappy about that.

1664053360500.png