RAIN?

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
I checked the ground water gauge at Lebanon and it went down a whole .08 feet. It is only down a little over a foot from the all time high which is not good at all. We need more consistent rain and better run off practices. Just like everything in the pines I believe fire has a factor in groundwater and aquifer replenishment as well.

T

Toothy Critter

I heard spring peepers today but not in my pond. I just checked and it's bone dry. This is the first spring in 10 years there is no water at all in it. In 2010 it was 3+ feet deep. The ground water is low even with this rain. The lack of snowfall this year is likely the culprit. These heavy rains raise the streams for a bit but aren'thelping the water table as much.

Unfortunately you are right on the mark. The issue is not stream levels, it's aquafer levels. This rain will wash out to sea long before it helps raise groundwater heights. Yes USGS Groundwater site is invaluable and it shows all this rain isn't really helping. But boy do I hope I'm barking up the wrong tree and that things do get better.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Ecampbell that is just my thoughts about fire having an effect on the aquifier. However in an unburned overgrown area you have less rain and snow reaching the forest floor. You also have more plants in competion for said rain water. In a burned area you have a more open canopy and less vegetation to support which will allow for more water to reach aquifers.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
In a burned area the water may run off faster rather than having time to soak in. Just thinking Pinebucks, no issue. When I walk the bogs I see a big sponge similar to the snow in the Rocky's, where the snow is released slowly.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
From the radar it looks like NJ is in the zone with the heavy rain passing to the east and west of us. Just light showers here.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
In a burned area the water may run off faster rather than having time to soak in.

Would that be offset by dead trees and foliage that wouldn't draw water out of the ground during growing season?

We haven't had any measurable rain here, barely even a sprinkle - was in the car for over an hour and never used the windshield wipers. Radar doesn't look like anything is coming here at this point, looks like the NWS called it wrong. At bedtime they forecast .25" to .50" overnight and 1" to 2" today.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The NWS just can't get it right today. They changed the forecast to say 1/10 inch of rain was expected, then the big front arrived here around 2:30 and it rained hard for more than an hour. We got almost 1.5 inches of rain from that and I see some other rain to the Southwest so maybe we'll get a little more, although the sun is shining now. :)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Sorry you're having a bad day. I was working on a project outdoors when it started to rain lightly. Went down to the creek and watched the raindrops on the water while I cooled down. It was beautiful, I sat under a couple holly trees that almost completly blocked the light rain. :)

But it doesn't look like we will get any significant rain down here. Most of it is tracking to the North.

Reactions: Menantico

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm getting hammered right now. Drinking a cold one too.

rainy.JPG