Relic Hunter

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I always welcome new and interesting folk to the site gleefully as those did for me. I will say the latest addition, "Relic Hunter" has a fascinating image in his profile. Might want to rethink that one.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Well, lets not cast judgement before the guy makes a single post.

Absolutely not a judgement. I like to think a person like that would have good things and findings to share. Hopefully a real nice fellow, or lady.
The image just kinda sends a questionable message.

g.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Being a hunter, I tend to avoid judging a whole group of people who use a particular device based on the actions of a few, be it gun or metal detector. But like Largo, a little "Warning, Will Rogers!" flashes in my mind at the sight of these things being used, until the user gives me indications he/she is law abiding. I've had to stop several people from digging within sight of our nature center since I've worked there. And just a few weeks ago I encountered a gentleman using one at Harrisville. I had my 11 year old daughter with me, who was doing a school project on lost towns, so I didn't want to risk getting into any confrontations by informing him of the laws on state lands. I've reported enough people doing worse things anyway. It's an interesting topic for discussion though. We've certainly beaten ATVs and bikes to death! :)

Don't get your feathers in an up-roar people, I know the laws on digging on State property. Besides If you look into my profile a little further you will see I am a Member of the National Wildlife Federation with a Nature Sanctuary in my backyard. My relic hunting is confined to private property with the owners permission or proper permits

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Don't get your feathers in an up-roar people, I know the laws on digging on State property. Besides If you look into my profile a little further you will see I am a Member of the National Wildlife Federation with a Nature Sanctuary in my backyard. My relic hunting is confined to private property with the owners permission or proper permits

Welcome to the site. We're practically neighbors -- I live in Brick.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Don't get me wrong. I'm also not judging anyone in particular. The people engaging in anything illegal are not only in the minority but also the ones least likely to make their activities public. I've spent plenty of time defending fellow hunters against sweeping generalizations as have other members of this forum when defending ATVs. A common and valid discussion on forums such as this involves what you can do where. I ask the question enough myself as well as help other with the answers.

And by the way, welcome to the forum!

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Welcome RelicHunter. Don't mind us, we're just a little sensitive on the point, and in fact there was a very recent discussion on people encountered using metal detectors around the ghost towns on state land. Glad you aren't one of them! :)

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Hey there Relic Hunter!
I welcome you to the site gleefully as others did for me.
All right, maybe that's a bit over the top.
Hope you enjoy, good group here.
g.

Edit.
Darn it, taking Jerseyman's lead (a wise one) I perused the Webpage.
Kudos to you. Seem like really nice folk. Very mindful of the environment.
I of course would have to have come across wrong in my post. At least it got everyone to take notice to you.
You really did wonderful work with Romeo by the way! Now that's who should be imaged on your profile.

g.

Thanks Largo and Jerseyman. But if I used Romeo's Pic I would not have stirred things up and how boring would that be....LOL. PLUS I wanted you guys to see that there are some people that can Relic Hunt and Metal Detect and still CARE about our environment and the beautiful world god created for us.

Matt

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Thanks Largo and Jerseyman. But if I used Romeo's Pic I would not have stirred things up and how boring would that be....LOL. PLUS I wanted you guys to see that there are some people that can Relic Hunt and Metal Detect and still CARE about our environment and the beautiful world god created for us.

Matt

I've never seen relic hunting as being in conflict with the environment, unless you leave a lot of holes behind, I guess.

I have nothing whatever against relic hunting, and I'm attracted to the idea myself. If there is something cool buried, and someone has permission to look for it, then by all means dig it up.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I've never seen relic hunting as being in conflict with the environment, unless you leave a lot of holes behind, I guess.

I have nothing whatever against relic hunting, and I'm attracted to the idea myself. If there is something cool buried, and someone has permission to look for it, then by all means dig it up.

Agree!

Guy

Metal detecting is a very thrilling hobby. It is a hobby that you can do alone or with a buddy, and the best part of it is that you never know what's going to come out of the ground. That's the thrill of metal detecting. If the idea intrigues you, go out and get a $59.00 detector and head down to your local beach and spend an hour or two sifting and searching through the sand and if your adrenalin and imagination does not run wild every time you hear a beep then check your pulse because you must be dead. What I'm trying to say is that Metal Detecting is an exciting hobby that is not only profitable but teaches you about the past But every care should be taken to remove the trash you fond and its a must that you put things back the way you found them (NO HOLES)

Metal detecting is a very thrilling hobby. It is a hobby that you can do alone or with a buddy, and the best part of it is that you never know what's going to come out of the ground. That's the thrill of metal detecting. If the idea intrigues you, go out and get a $59.00 detector and head down to your local beach and spend an hour or two sifting and searching through the sand and if your adrenalin and imagination does not run wild every time you hear a beep then check your pulse because you must be dead. What I'm trying to say is that Metal Detecting is an exciting hobby that is not only profitable but teaches you about the past But every care should be taken to remove the trash you fond and its a must that you put things back the way you found them (NO HOLES)

Relic Hunter:

I agree with you that metal detecting on a beach can be a real thrill—been there, done that. Even city or county parks represent great places to find items inadvertantly dropped by our forefathers. As long as those pursuing the hobby remain respectful of potential archaeological sites, I have no problem with people searching for buried items from the past. However, I cannot abide with folks who destroy, whether intentionally or unintentionally, remnants of a homestead or some other cultural site for the recovery of a trinket to add to their “collection.” Chalk it up to my professional work in Cultural Resources, but I take a dim view of pot-holers, including those wielding metal detectors. If we all remain respectful, we’ll get along just fine.

Best regards,
Jerseyman