Replacing Bridge on Carranza

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Thanks for letting us know the bridge is finished. I was thinking of setting out for some wheeling tomorrow, so I'll have to add this to the agenda.

Here's a shot of the new bridge. All construction is over and the only remaining equipment that I could see was a small-sized crane. All access/roads to the bridge are fully open.

CIMG0158.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you notice that there are already inscribed initials on it. They don't waste any time.

Guy

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Did you notice that there are already inscribed initials on it. They don't waste any time.

Guy

No, I didn't. Today was a pretty "high-traffic" day in that area. I've never seen so many folks out wheelin'. As I was taking the shot, at least a half dozen Jeeps and at least as many cycles came blowin' by the bridge.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
i have to say i liked the old bridge better, it had "character" it fit the location better
i know the old one was getting a bit raggy and under capicity, but i like old things.
the new bridge seems out of place next to the ruins (i remember when those houses were occupied)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
the road was paved at one time from friendship to speedwell

That's interesting, because 10 or 12 years ago there were still patches of pavement, making for a very bumpy ride. I remember the first time I went down that road - 1994 I think - and I feared for my car's suspension. I guess they came through and broke this up at some point, because I'd forgotten all about it until you just mentioned it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can still see some area's where it was paved. They have just filled much of it over with dirt.

EDIT: I don't see them paving it. If there were major businesses in the Speedwell area that wanted it done, maybe the pressure would be on to do it. But there is nothing really worth all the effort and especially money to do it for.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
yeah, the old pavement is still there, but as mentioned is mostly under dirt, I don't know if the dirt was deliberately laid on top of it or it is a natural build up. I always assumed that it was nature reclaiming the road again, as it always does in the pines.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Nice pictures. I was out there again this morning. I saw a couple parked cars, but didn't see the owners. They must have been hiking. I agree about winding up in the bog. I don't wheel at night, but I can certainly see someone going off the end.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice pictures. I was out there again this morning. I saw a couple parked cars, but didn't see the owners. They must have been hiking.

Most likely correct, however; at this time of year you may start to see that more often because the hunters are prepairing for the days ahead and many times leave their cars to walk or ride with someone who has a more capable vehicle. Start wearing orange or make noise if you walk in the woods.

I say that but have not done that yet. My orange is too warm to wear this early.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I stopped at Nixon's for a hoagie yesterday, guys were in the lot showing each other their bows, so I think its started already. I'd go on the Fish and Game Site, but I hate how they tabulate the hunting areas, too hard to read. I brought this up before, but I wish they'd have a daily calendar that shows what is being hunted and how, in each zone. i.e,:

Thursday, 4 October.
Deer; zones 21, 22, 23..etc.
Pheasant; zones 14, 18,..etc.

Sunday, 7 October
NO HUNTING

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It started weeks ago actually. The men I work with have gone twice and the Chiggers ate them up.
Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think the chiggers are finally starting to die down. For the last couple days I've gone out in my yard and on my land and I haven't gotten any new bites, even though I didn't use any spray.