Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have a feeling when the law came out, the mapmakers said to themselves that it's best to delete all names until there's a database of safe names to post.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The way things stand, I think the real issue is keeping it up to date. Somebody might become a policeman or judge at any time and it would be hard to keep that in sync with the parcel data. A system could certainly be devised to do it, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. As I said, I've been spending a lot of time drilling down into that database and it's a mess, data is not entered very consistently, it still uses ALL UPPERCASE characters and there's very little room for detail.

Here's a real gem that I found while trying to figure it all out... the user manual.

See the history of the system on page 4, basically, it's 40 year old software. Today, a $500 database app on a $1000 PC would just run circles around this and offer so much more. I actually laughed out loud when I read this the first time. :D

• The New Jersey Property Tax System was developed by an outside vendor under contract in 1966 and was written in COBOL
• In 1971 fields were added and procedures were implemented for the expansion and storage of data.
• The last upgrade to the New Jersey Property Tax System was in 1980.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Well, they are using bing maps that are up to date and there are several to choose from. It's the best there is right now for property lines. This guy here is right in the middle of the Cape May National Wildlife Preserve. It's also fast.

1677986945392.png

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Is there a link just for all the maps? I can leave a link for each map but there seems to be no link to all but the home page that i posted.Thats why I posted the home page because there doesn't seem to be a way to jump from map to map within the map but only from the home page

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes I must have got confused on the name.I was sent the link by a friend and it works on everyones computer apparently so would assume it's public,if not wouldn't it be password protected?
Yes, it's public. As to the other maps, there's a button in the top right corner.

1677991165747.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

c1nj

Explorer
Nov 19, 2008
"Look at his dock, it's 400 feet long."

He has a 400 foot dock but his house doesn't have electricity. When the refuge bought the surrounding property they didn't even know a fisherman lived back there.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's a very short video of the new site I'm building. The whole idea is very different from other parcel sites, it streams data in realtime as you "explore". Works with any map and there's data on 600,000 parcels (I had to limit the size to work with my system, although it should be possible to support much larger datasets in the future). It's capable of displaying the full parcel data, but I have intentionally left out "personal" stuff like mailing addresses, sale prices, taxes, etc. I have redacted individual names but show public property and some business names. This won't be a site to find out how much your neighbor's house cost though. ;)

In addition to parcels, there's full landcover, openspace, geology and road data plus Natural Heritage. Will be adding historical features, environmental data and points of interest to the final version. As you can see, it's very unfinished but I hope to have it online by the end of the month. I started building this just to see how well the new software I wrote would perform. It only takes milliseconds to fetch the data in realtime without the overhead of searching a database.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here's a very short video of the new site I'm building. The whole idea is very different from other parcel sites, it streams data in realtime as you "explore". Works with any map and there's data on 600,000 parcels (I had to limit the size to work with my system, although it should be possible to support much larger datasets in the future). It's capable of displaying the full parcel data, but I have intentionally left out "personal" stuff like mailing addresses, sale prices, taxes, etc. I have redacted individual names but show public property and some business names. This won't be a site to find out how much your neighbor's house cost though. ;)

In addition to parcels, there's full landcover, openspace, geology and road data plus Natural Heritage. Will be adding historical features, environmental data and points of interest to the final version. As you can see, it's very unfinished but I hope to have it online by the end of the month. I started building this just to see how well the new software I wrote would perform. It only takes milliseconds to fetch the data in realtime without the overhead of searching a database.

That interesting Boyd. Looks like a lot of work to make a map do that. It won't have boundary lines?

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Do you mean parcel boundaries? No, it's just a data system that is completely independent of the map (you can choose any map you like). I will not be making any new maps of the Pines, but you can see parcel boundaries on my 2020 topo

topo.png

Or the 2021 LIDAR HD map

lidar.png

Last edited:
Reactions: enormiss and bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Works with any map and there's data on 600,000 parcels (I had to limit the size to work with my system, although it should be possible to support much larger datasets in the future).

This limitation bothered me and I wanted to see if my software could handle the entire South Jersey dataset of 1.44 million parcels. This required a big "leap of faith" because the only way to find out was spending three days building and compiling the whole huge database with no assurance that it would work. Just finished and (so far) everything works! So, it appears my geodata system can now handle a total of 2.1 million records. :dance:

Work continues on this new site and I'm still hoping to put it online later this month.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I tried saving the Rowan Parcel map as a bookmark, but it won't work that way. The lot lines won't show, you have to save the bookmark at the gallery selection.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
So, it turns out that about 326,000 of the 1,440,000 parcels in the Pines don't have a matching tax data record. We have discussed this before, and some (most???) of these are shown as "additional lots" of other parcels. I looked, and the way these additional lots are listed is just too inconsistent to cross-reference with the missing parcels (might be possible, but more work than I want to do).

However, I just realized that the NJDEP openspace dataset also includes the same PAMS_PIN used for tax parcels. It was pretty simple to connect these up with a relational database, and I have now identified about 36,000 of those missing parcels. Here's an example of how I'm handling this

boyd.png

The Rowan map does not have data for this parcel

rowan.png

To be fair, Rowan does show the same info on the openspace tab however. Different tools for different purposes, my site constantly streams the data as you "explore". With Rowan, it takes a lot of clicking and waiting but you get more complete data.