Ruins found near Bodine Field....

P

Pineyprowler

Can anyone tell me what the ruins I found used to be? I've found what used to be a fairly large structure made of sandstone right next to the entrance to Bodine field. I was told that it used to be a cannonball factory then it turned into a glass works. I was wondering if it was a paper mill? I have no idea. It's located right off 563. The structure is all fenced off with and there's plenty of no tresspassing signs. I am sure somebody has some info on this. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

P

Pineyprowler

It looks to me that I found Harrisville based on the image gallery on the site. What was this building? Thanks

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
The portion that still has standing walls is the paper mill plant. The most visible portion is the oldest part of the building. According to historical sources, that building was over 600 feet long and was the industry of a thriving community until the late 19th century it all burned down around 1914. There are some good books that contain history of it, the easiest of which to find, is probably "Iron IN The Pines" by Arthur D. Pierce.

P

Pineyprowler

Thats awesome! I never knew that I'd just stumble on to something like that without even looking for it. I am going to look into that book. I am wondering if B&N has it in stock so I can just go there and browse through it. Thanks for the info

Pineyprowler said:
Thats awesome! I never knew that I'd just stumble on to something like that without even looking for it. I am going to look into that book. I am wondering if B&N has it in stock so I can just go there and browse through it. Thanks for the info

Careful! You're about to get hooked on the pines. :D

B

BarryC

That's the Harrisville paper mill. And that's 679, not 563. Also, there is much more to find at Harrisville than just the mill ruins.
I've heard this "cannonball factory" story before. I wonder where it comes from. Harrisville was, and always was, paper.
There have been 2 good books written about Harrisville too, although both are out of print now.
Barry
Pineyprowler said:
Can anyone tell me what the ruins I found used to be? I've found what used to be a fairly large structure made of sandstone right next to the entrance to Bodine field. I was told that it used to be a cannonball factory then it turned into a glass works. I was wondering if it was a paper mill? I have no idea. It's located right off 563. The structure is all fenced off with and there's plenty of no tresspassing signs. I am sure somebody has some info on this. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
Careful! You're about to get hooked on the pines. :D

Harrisville was one of my first fascinations. It is easy to get hooked there.

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Early development of the Harrisville plot supposedly contained a forge or furnace (memory fails me), so the cannonball factory tale may not be all too far-fetched, even if the source of it is not based on fact.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
jokerman said:
Early development of the Harrisville plot supposedly contained a forge or furnace (memory fails me), so the cannonball factory tale may not be all too far-fetched, even if the source of it is not based on fact.

Martha's Furnace was right across the road. Although I don't think it was in operation until after the war of 1812. (So no cannonballs there.)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stu said:
There's nothing in there, except for a few big pieces of slag.

I assume you mean in the fenced in area where the furnace was, because the hill circling Martha pond is made of slag and it is everywhere. Mostly small, but a large quantity.

Guy

B

BarryC

There was a forge there, before the paper industry started. Nothing remains of it. Pig iron from Martha was shipped to this forge (Wading River Forge and Slitting Mill). I believe a Slitting Mill was a mill that cut sheet iron into narrow strips which were used to make cut nails- something like that.
jokerman said:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Martha

Piney1125 said:
There is a diary kept of Martha Furnace. What were they making when the diary was written? Where is the diary today?

According to Arthur D. Pierce, the Diary was found in the office safe at the Harrisville paper factory just before it was destroyed by fire in 1910. The diary was copied and one copy was owned by Charles Boyer according to Nathaniel Ewan dean of SJ Historians. His copy was from Boyers. A copy of the diary when "Iron in the Pines" was published was located in the Library of the Camden County Historical Society. One copy was also located in the library of Rutgers University, and another was in the possession of Captain Charles Wilson at the time of the publication of "Iron in the Pines". At least 4 type scripts existed then. The original disappeared and is believed to have burned in the fire.

Guy

B

BarryC

I believe Martha was just like all the other Bog Iron furnaces in South Jersey. They made pigs which were sent to the forges, and they made a lot of cast iron items used in daily life. Some furnaces made water pipes, like Weymouth. Some made stoves, like Atsion and others. Some made cannonballs. Batsto, and probably others, made firebacks, one or more of which is in Mount Vernon.
Part of the Martha Furnace Diary is reproduced in the book, Iron in the Pines, by Arthur D. Pierce. Marilyn Schmidt sells this book in Chatsworth, if I'm not mistaken. The Diary just gives tidbits of information, like So-and-so was drunk today, furnace blown out today because all hands were drunk, So-and-so went coaling today, and so on. Pretty interesting. Weymouth also kept a diary.
Barry

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
There is a book entitled "The Martha Furnace Diaries" listed in the Monmouth County Library system.. I haven't looked at it yet, but imagine it must be the whole thing. I may locate it tomorrow. Reference only of course.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Stu said:
I just don't understand why Martha Furnace is fenced off if nothing's in there. Put a marker or something there instead.

After Bud Wilson excavated and studied the site, the state filled it in to protect it. It is better off under the ground then above for various and obvious reasons.

I have an article that mentions that there were large steel beams of some sort there, and someone came in with a major piece of equipment and stole it or them. I have photo's of a sign that was there, and it was spray painted with graffiti and soon it was gone.

So the problem is people can't be trusted to keep their hands off of what is not theirs. I would love to see it there, but unfortunately that is not how it is. A marker would not last very long before it was taken home for someone's collection.

Guy