Sawmill Locations

Guy and Flash:

Godfrey was Christopher’s father. According to the 1830 federal decennial census, Godfrey’s household comprised 1 male between age 10 and 15; 1 male between 50 and 60; 1 male between 60 and 70; 1 female between 10 and 15; 1 female between 20 and 30; and 1 female between 50 and 60. In days of yore, the first child born would be named for the wife’s parents, i.e., a male would be named for the wife’s father and a female child would be named for the wife’s mother. It appears Christopher is the oldest male child, based on his age in the 1850 federal decennial census, so he is likely named for Godfrey’s father-in-law.

It sounds like Flash has examined a division map for Godfrey’s estate. Based on a search in references here in my library, it appears Godfrey died intestate, hence the need for a division map.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
This is a map that I have used, showing Godfrey's land. I will try and get out again soon to get some pictures.
DSCN2114.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Jerseyman. I actually had that 1830 info but did not understand what the 10-15 etc was about.

1830 NJ BURLINGTON CO. WASHINGTON TWP p. 5
Godfrey ESTELOW -
male 1(10-15), 1(50's), 1(60's) - fem. 1(10-15), 1(20's), 1(50's)
[ possibly Christopher is in Godfrey's household ]

Flash, intestate means he did not have a valid will. I had to look that one up :bang:

Guy

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
That would be awsome Wolfspider! I cant wait to see how the property stones line up!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Wolfspider,

I tried to fix that link but it is incorrect.

Guy

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
i think this is the Godfrey's sawmill that wolfspider is referring to. Made up of sandstone

This is what is confusing me, I think this would of been newer than Godfreys time. I don't know much about sawmills, this on was steam powered? Is that the reason for the four anchor bolts?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The engine at Union Clay Works was a steam engine and there are large bolts that held that. You and I may have doubts but don't let that get in the way. You still may have the correct ruins.

Guy

I looked at the photograph again that Flash posted and I agree with Wolfspider05: this is absolutely a steam-powered sawmill and NOT the water-powered mill belonging to Godfrey Estlow, which obtained its motion from the Wading River. The foundation with the threaded studs projecting vertically from it once held a “portable” sawmill. See this thread:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/ghost-towns-forgotten-places/2165-sawmills-9.html#post20393

and particularly my post (no. 122) for a discussion of construction materials and relative age.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
yup, same map i have. I can see it now
Guy/Jerseyman do any of you know how i would go about reading the coordinates to this map?
I don't believe i have ever dealt with a map like this.
Thank you!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Flash,

I am heading to bed, however, tomorrow night I can tell you the locations to look. I know the exact GPS coordinates of the top right corner because there is a state monument there, and from there I can put you very close to where the rest will be. I will even make a track for you showing the property line that I come up with. I will even give you some tips on how to figure this out on your own in the future.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There is a record of a Godfrey who was around in 1830 but I am not sure it was the same family. Have you researched this??

Guy[/QUOTE]

Guy
this looks like an awfully new tombstone for being that old.Do you suppose the stone was placed there more recnetly?I've never seen a tombstone that old that had that glass like finish to it.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica had off from work today, so I took off and visited the sawmill that Wolfspider and Flash found. We actually had been there a few years ago looking for sawmill ruins and never saw it. After looking over the map they posted showing the Godfrey tract, it is pretty obvious this sawmill was not the Godfrey sawmill. It is made of stone but I believe it is a much newer vintage than the 1800s. There is evidence in the 1931 aerial it was in use to cut wood that was removed from across the river.

Jessica and I did visit the southern most corner of the Godfrey tract where it shows a sawmill, but we did not have time to fully explore the rivers edge. There are a few landings there that would have been a good location for one, but I need to fully explore it more.

Guy