Slag vs. Pig Iron???

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The stuff we're trying to figure out is the very metallic looking, very porous looking chunks of rust colored stuff that breaks apart very easily. From what I'm reading, both here and in books, it might be slag with a high bog iron content. Also from Iron In The Pines... "That so much ore was left in the slag testifies to the low efficiency of those early furnaces."

I just find it odd so much is left around if there was still content left in it to be recovered. I'm going to try and get out this weekend to shoot a photo of just what I'm talking about. There's a lot of it out at the RR at Carranza.

I believe what you are seeing is sandstone.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
IMG_6433.JPG

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Might be the thing I posted a pic of is sandstone and not ore. How different is bog ore and sandstone? From the descriptions I've read of how the ore forms, it is basically the same process as sandstone, but with a lot of dissolved iron accreting in the mix.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There's a lot of it out at the RR at Carranza.

Since you live in Tabernacle, the next time you go down Carranza Road to get to the tracks, stop and park right at the sign that welcomes you to Wharton. There is a high hill on the right side with a path up it that you need to visit. Walk up the hill and there is sandstone everywhere. If you know the right locations, there are massive stones up there unlike any you have seen around here. See if that is what you are referring to.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
="Mark" said:
Might be the thing I posted a pic of is sandstone and not ore. How different is bog ore and sandstone? From the descriptions I've read of how the ore forms, it is basically the same process as sandstone, but with a lot of dissolved iron accreting in the mix.

That's my understanding as well.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
The hills Guy speaks of are very old. They are actually sand and gravel deposits from the ancient Hudson River. The age of sandstone boulders that cap the hills are in the millions of years old. South Jersey is oh so cool.

Since you live in Tabernacle, the next time you go down Carranza Road to get to the tracks, stop and park right at the sign that welcomes you to Wharton. There is a high hill on the right side with a path up it that you need to visit. Walk up the hill and there is sandstone everywhere. If you know the right locations, there are massive stones up there unlike any you have seen around here. See if that is what you are referring to.

Guy

Folks:

South Jersey sandstone, a.k.a. ironstone, provided early settlers with a ready building material for foundations and whole houses such as the Walker Forge House and many others. The “quarries” for this stone consisted of simply removing the overburden of soil from a stone-bearing hilltop until the the quarryman exposed the stone formation. Then it was just a matter of chipping out managable pieces for use in such construction projects. Many lasting examples of early ironstone construction remain throughout South (West) Jersey.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Being more of a plant guy, I was always a bit fuzzy on the distinctions between bog iron and sandstone myself. We talked about this a bit at Wells Mills when we gathered here. What I've always understood was that those distinctions were more related to the use of the piece of rock in question than to its composition. The iron ore dug out of stream banks might have been formed more recently but was formed in esentially the same way as the older deposits mined in dry areas for building purposes. Anyone have information to the contrary?

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Today

Sorry for the crappy pic. Maybe my camera focused on the rain drops? I was out this morning in the pouring rain trying to replicate Ben's picture. I should've laid a range pole against the building corner to show it in the background.

Attachments

• 100_1615.JPG
    100_1615.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 289

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry for the crappy pic. Maybe my camera focused on the rain drops? I was out this morning in the pouring rain trying to replicate Ben's picture. I should've laid a range pole against the building corner to show it in the background.

So we have now determined that it is at Atsion. Ben, did the photo you posted actually say it was from Batsto?

Guy

PineyPaul

Feb 25, 2008
No people Atsion and Basto were Iron furnace. The pile behind the ruins of the Cotton Mill
is a pile of slag its a big pile. I thing it is where the furnace was. That would make sent. The pile to big to move.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
PineyPaul said:
No people Atsion and Basto were Iron furnace. The pile behind the ruins of the Cotton Mill
is a pile of slag its a big pile. I thing it is where the furnace was. That would make sent. The pile to big to move.

Come again?

PineyPaul

Feb 25, 2008
TeaGate The Railroad houses, And the Old Atsion hotel do not go back to the iron era. The sheathed building on that side might be that old. The old part the village was on Quaker Brigde Road, A lot the worker's house are gone. One the worker's house is still standing. There is two remains of worker's house of the Iron era. The house behind the Gun Club is not like the other house in that area. This house had a full basement about 5'6" deep. There are bars over the windows in the basement. There is a well on what was the back porch. They had lean-to- Kitchen on the back. My uncle found an old fireplace footing dating to about 1760's in the one wall of the lean-to-Kitchen area.

PineyPaul

Feb 25, 2008
I don't if the photo is from Atsion or not. All I Know is there is big pile of slag where I told you it was.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So how did that get to Atsion. Somehow I think there was something wrong with that survey.

Guy