Sorden Family

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am trying to find information on the Sorden family that owned cranberry bogs and lived in Indian Mills/Shamong in the mid to late 1800's. John H. Sorden was married to Theresa Ann Weeks. My information going back stops with John H. It appears that the bogs that were owned by the Sorden family were sold at the time of John H.'s death to pay off outstanding debts. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Are you still interested in some info. I have a phone number for a person you may want to talk to. He gave me permission to give it to you.

Guy

jsorden@gmail.com

Sep 24, 2010
Sorden families

Mystery: How are the families connected? I can not connect the early Sorden's of Maryland and Delaware to the the Sorden/Sworden's in New Jersey as early as the 1740's, and to my branch, the Sorden/Sworden's who migrated to Ohio in ~1800-1815.

I am descended from the Ohio sorden/sworden branch.

Does anyone know the connections? How did the Sorden's get to New Jersey early in the 1700s? How did they get to Ohio?

Does anybody know of anyone in the Eastern Shore who is interested in Sorden genealogy?

I would love to communicate with any interested in Sorden history?

jim sorden
saratoga ca
jsorden@gmail.com

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What makes you think they are connected?

Mamswift,

I will be looking for the ruins of the home sometime this fall. I have not forgotten about it, just that this time of year is not a good time to do that.

Guy

Joan Viscardi

Jan 10, 2012
Amazing what can be found on blogs. My maiden name is Slimmer and my great uncle had left in his will in 1969 a cranberry bog approximately 12 acres know as the Jon Sorden Old Bog and another known as the Than Brown Bog. I am beginning a search as my father had told tales of his uncle, the Cranberry King. Of course that may have been a family nickname. His name was Benjamin Mingin. His ancestors lived in NJ for some 100 years before him. Has anyone ever heard of him? And any ideas where I can begin my search - I am looking to go back to his mother Katherine "kate" Mingin. A big thank you for just looking over my request.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Cranberry King was actually Andrew Rider; however, maybe Benjamin Mingin was also called that at one time. I will send you a private Conversation later tonight. Look for the red notification at the top right of this page where it says "Inbox."

Guy

Joan Viscardi

Jan 10, 2012
The Cranberry King was actually Andrew Rider; however, maybe Benjamin Mingin was also called that at one time. I will send you a private Conversation later tonight. Look for the red notification at the top right of this page where it says "Inbox."

Guy

Joan Viscardi

Jan 10, 2012
Guy

Thank you so much for your help and for the links. I so appreciate your expertise and knowledge of the subject. Thus far I have found that Benjamin J Mingin wss born 1851 and dies 1927. He is buried in the Medford Baptist Cemetery with his wife, Etta B Mingin and it appears the McIntyre family. He was the son of Joel H Mingin and Elizabeth Rossell. It appears from his will that he left the Jon Sorden Bog to a Charles Volpe of Blue Anchor and the "Than Brown Bog" to the same man. I live in NY and will begin a diligent search online. Then hopefully at some future date can come down and do some foot work. I truly appreciate your information and will keep you posted.

Joan

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Have you been to the Baptist Cemetery in Medford? If not, I go by there all the time and could stop in for some photo's. if you don't have photo's do you know the general area in the cemetery he is located?

Guy

Joan Viscardi

Jan 10, 2012
Hello Guy

From what I have found online at the Medford Baptist Cemetery site - the Mingin and McIntyre plot is in NJBM5, 6, 7, and 8A. If that helps. Thanks so much again. Would love to see photos if and when you go. I am still in awe and amazed at the help.
Joan

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Hello Guy

From what I have found online at the Medford Baptist Cemetery site - the Mingin and McIntyre plot is in NJBM5, 6, 7, and 8A. If that helps. Thanks so much again. Would love to see photos if and when you go. I am still in awe and amazed at the help.
Joan

Thanks! I have added the location to my list of things to do.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you TeeGate - I had not seen some of that before. John H. Sorden was my great, great grandfather and the Sorden family has been a mystery to us for a long time. We have absolutely no info on John H. Sorden's parents. I was in the Wharton Forest area in March and thought we stumbled upon the remains of the Sorden home. We had an old hand drawn map that listed the family names and tried to navigate from that.

mamswift,

I am bringing this post back from the dead to inform you that I now can tell you exactly where one of John, Joseph, and W.P. Sorden's property was located.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Amazing what can be found on blogs. My maiden name is Slimmer and my great uncle had left in his will in 1969 a cranberry bog approximately 12 acres know as the Jon Sorden Old Bog and another known as the Than Brown Bog. I am beginning a search as my father had told tales of his uncle, the Cranberry King. Of course that may have been a family nickname. His name was Benjamin Mingin. His ancestors lived in NJ for some 100 years before him. Has anyone ever heard of him? And any ideas where I can begin my search - I am looking to go back to his mother Katherine "kate" Mingin. A big thank you for just looking over my request.

Joan,

Are you certain the name was Mingin? I know where the bog is that was owned by LeMunyun & Brown almost adjacent to a Sorden Brothers Bog near Atsion.

Guy

mamswift

Mar 22, 2010
Delaware
mamswift,

I am bringing this post back from the dead to inform you that I now can tell you exactly where one of John, Joseph, and W.P. Sorden's property was located.

Guy

Sorry I had given up on trying to find the bogs. I am going to be in the area in 2 weeks and would appreciate any new info.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are you related to Miriam E. Sorden who died on 2/12/1987?

mamswift

Mar 22, 2010
Delaware
Are you related to Miriam E. Sorden who died on 2/12/1987?
Guy,
Not that I'm aware of. My great grandmother was Laura Emma Sorden Martin and her sister was Olive Sorden Giberson. There were no males in that line. Their brother Joseph died in infancy.

MaryAnn

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay. Well, I can't help you with the house property that is shown on the map in Post # 17, but I can tell you two locations the Sorden brothers owned. Lets start with the one by the Pic-A-Lilli.

The below maps shows the exact location of a small tract of land the Sorden Brothers owned sometime around 1890 or slightly after. I know this because elsewhere on the map Rider/Wilkinson is shown and they acquired their property around 1890. The map does not have a date on it.

I have arrows pointing to known property corners which clearly shows I have the correct location. And I have yellow lines around the Sorden land. Compare the two maps closely.

sorden2.jpg

The exact location today is shown where the pointer at the below link is pointing to.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.75445911464937&lng=-74.72212571304323&z=16&type=hybrid&gpx=

It is interesting to note that this property was still owned by the Sorden family as late as 1987 when Miriam E. Sorden died. The executor of Miriam E. Sorden will who may have been a family member sold the property to Harry and Reet Robinson of Winfield Illinois for $7,100 in 1991. I have found no record of the property being sold again but I have been told that the Whalen family owns all of the bogs now. They may or may not own this particular tract of land.

deed.jpg

When I get a minute I will post the other location. That location actually mentions John Sorden which is the name I believe you mentioned. Hopefully, I am going back far enough in time that I am actually helping you with what you want to know.

Guy

Last edited: