Spikes in the ground (lacey)

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
Hope you guys are being careful out there, those look like they would cause some serious injuries if you where to step or god forbid fall onto one.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I grew up in a town with 2 gravel and dredging operations, Buzby Brothers and Tri-Boro.
Tri-Boro is still active and is owned by the same company that operates Ward Sand and material off of 70.
All major operations employ their own mechanics and welders who are very good at fabbing up just about anything out of heavy metal stock. Walk around a pit or pit yard and you will see their handiwork.
If these are spikes are near any gravel operations, my guess is they were fabbed up as nasty ass no trespassing warnings.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
nah, they are a real pain in the you know what to get out, thjey gotta be wiggled then pulled straight out. if you pull on the slightest angle they wont come out. so whomever/whatever may put pressure onto these things is going to get punctured and it will stay there. the bad thing is that where they are planted they are not visible, they are placed in soft soil (sand/mud) to where once you go over them they just get covered once again.

Thats what I meant, they aren't too easy to remove from the ground. I feel bad for the person walking their dog out there with these things in the ground. I'll just keep my best friend on a leash for now.

On note of what RednekF350 said, I wonder if it's a former disgruntled worker, and his way of saying "F" you????

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I grew up in a town with 2 gravel and dredging operations, Buzby Brothers and Tri-Boro.
Tri-Boro is still active and is owned by the same company that operates Ward Sand and material off of 70.
All major operations employ their own mechanics and welders who are very good at fabbing up just about anything out of heavy metal stock. Walk around a pit or pit yard and you will see their handiwork.
If these are spikes are near any gravel operations, my guess is they were fabbed up as nasty ass no trespassing warnings.

alot of the welds look like boogers on these things when you look at them close up, thats one reason I dont think its pit workers/owners. Second is I highly doubt that the one pit owner would copnsider this due to lawsuit reasons. Its a area that is known to be highly traveled even though private property, It would just be asking for a lawsuit with the way people are today

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold

are you talking about triboro in voorhees ? thats right where i live

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Spikes

Wow, after reading the first couple of threads, that's not what I pictured them to be. That looks like a metal sharks tooth and something that could really do a lot of damage or harm. I hate when people do that. It's one thing to lay a couple of logs across the road to send a message, but to put spikes in the ground, is a horrible way to keep people out. I used to ride my bike everywhere as a kid and found all sorts of stuff like that in areas where people were tired of 4-wheelers and dirt-bikes going. Someone put a bunch of twisted up tree spikes behind the country cupboard a long time ago. We threw as many as we could find into the swamp nearby to get rid of them. And Arawak Pit near Elwood had a whole bunch of wooden strips with nails driven through them to keep kids out. A friend of mine was rushed to the hospital after someone put up a cable in the middle of a trail he rode all the time without putting ribbons or anything on it. He ran into it and it destroyed several internal organs and almost died. I've also seen what looked like a box of roofing nails scattered around in some areas which would be a good way to ruin someones day as well. Some people just don't think that nearly killing or injuring someone is not worth them being in the wrong place. What ever happened to walking up to someone and telling them to leave.

Kevin

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
this is clearly dangerous and irresponsible.

that having been said . . . is atv (or pedestrian, for that matter) traffic allowed here? is it public land?

Seems like it was set with the idea that anyone who found it (excluding the landowner of course) would be inherently be exposing themselves to trespassing charges and therefore not likely to do anything about it.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org

that having been said . . . is atv (or pedestrian, for that matter) traffic allowed here? is it public land?

Seems like it was set with the idea that anyone who found it (excluding the landowner of course) would be inherently be exposing themselves to trespassing charges and therefore not likely to do anything about it.

ATV traffic is present allowed, no due to liability but at the same time not enforced. theres lots of other traffic threw there as well though, horses, hikers etc. I honestly don't think its the land owner.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get around the area for a while due to extremely busy schedules on the weekends. I'll have to give my buddy a call and see if he has found anymore.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009

Makes no difference, public or private land. It is illegal to set bobby traps of any kind even on your own property even if properly posted as private. Anyone that unfortunately ever gets hurt by such a device and you can prove it is the landowners doing [hard] you will own his property.

Since it has never been stated exactly where this is taking place except "near" Bamber Lake, I have seen what some twisted hunters have done in that area. They have set shotgun shell land mines on trails near their stands [holes]. Can you be specific on just where these bobby traps are taking place?

bigoldford

Jan 3, 2009
Not to point any fingers but i would be willing to bet alot of these traps are set by hunters to try to keep people away from "there" hunting spot. Its really sad they do this.

I had something similar rip up one of my truck tires down in the woods off Jackson road. That area is full of some crazy hunters. When I was younger some hunter chased my younger brother(only 12 at the time) who was on his four wheeler down in his truck and yelled, cursed, and threatened to shoot at him for trespassing on private property that he claimed was his! Well it wasn't his property and he did not have permission to be there. We did have permission to ride there when we pleased out of deer season(which it was). When my father found out i swear he was going to go wait back in the woods for this guy to come back out and beat the snot outta him!