State Shutdown

Frolickin

Explorer
Apr 21, 2003
Millville, NJ
rdowens.net
Does anyone know what is "supposed" to happen when the rangers are told not to come to work? Is the public permitted in state parks/forests if the rangers are off duty?

Just curious and have not seen it discussed.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I have a friend who is a field biologist for the pine lands commission. She was told not to come into work until further notice monday morning.

Jeff

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I didn't think the shutdown applied to law enforcement ("park police"), just to stuff like lifeguards, campgrounds, visitors centers, etc. I'd be careful with that keg party... who knows, they might be even more vigilant out of fear that this sort of thing will happen...

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Boyd said:
I didn't think the shutdown applied to law enforcement ("park police"), just to stuff like lifeguards, campgrounds, visitors centers, etc. I'd be careful with that keg party... who knows, they might be even more vigilant out of fear that this sort of thing will happen...

"Smokey's" like "cool blondes," too!:guinness: :rofl:

ebsi

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
There are signs at the Carranza Memorial parking lot saying area closed untill further notice, so I went in, and there were signs on the out house also. I wonder if that cancels the ceramony this weekend?

There is also a sign across the street on the road going to Batona camp.

I called Pinelands canoe rental and they were told they were not allowed to operate on the rivers that run through Wharton. So they're out of business also. Way to go Corzine!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
ecampbell said:
There are signs at the Carranza Memorial parking lot saying area closed untill further notice, so I went in, and there were signs on the out house also. I wonder if that cancels the ceramony this weekend?

I called Pinelands canoe rental and they were told they were not allowed to operate on the rivers that run through Wharton. So they're out of business also. Way to go Corzine!

So, we don't know about the Park police, but camping and canoe rental is out. The rivers might be pretty clear for those of us with our own canoes and kayaks this weekend. If the shutdown lasts that long.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
ecampbell said:

Wait a minute now this is @#!&%$& ridiculous!!! The Outhouse?!? I'm going to the Carranza Ceremony on Saturday and then I was going to spend a good part of the day in Wharton State Forest. I fully expected campsites and other areas where a fee is charged to be closed. Next someone is going to report there are State Troopers with barricades at each and every access point to the forest! Also on Saturday my brother-in law is hosting a family reunion at Bellplain State Forest. Or is he? Help me out folks wasn't there a Gov't shutdown under Florio that only lasted a couple days?

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Give "credit" where "credit" is due!

ecampbell said:

The "Smokey's," like the police, are considered to be "essential" to public safety, so campgrounds will be patrolled. Although some State parks and campgrounds will be closed to the public, not all State park(s)/park area(s) "monitored" by the Smokey's will be closed. Some will have figured this out for themselves, and those areas will probably be jammed until the State goes back "online" in 24 to 36 hrs.

BTW: The Smokeys and the S.P. are working without pay, during this period. :) Be polite!

Don't blame Corzine for the problems that Christie Whitman caused over a decade ago with the 3.5 billion--dollar "ham sandwich" she gave herself. At the time, warnings were issued that "the piper" would have to be paid in the future! This is the future.:jeffd:

N.J.'s bond rating has dropped from being among the best ("AAA") in the nation, to, now, being among the poorest. Corzine wants to restore N.J.'s bond rating, so, at some time in the future, the State will be able to borrow monies in the future to finance overdue (and vitally necessary) infrastructure upgrades, like bridges, roads...:jd:

The problem lies with the career politicians, like Roberts, who is afraid he will not be reelected by his constituency, if he votes to raise taxes. 111 days ago, the State Assembly knew they had to "address" this issue.

Why did it take so long for them to come to a compromise? :jeffd:

Why did the governor have to take the extreme measure of shutting down all nonessential services at this critical time for producing State income, in order to "force" a compromise?:jeffd:

ebsi

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
ebsi2001 said:
Don't blame Corzine for the problems that Christie Whitman caused over a decade ago with the 3.5 billion--dollar "ham sandwich" she gave herself. At the time, warnings were issued that "the piper" would have to be paid in the future! This is the future.

I am definitely with EBSI on this one. I remember that bond issue, and also did not like it at the time. It was sort of like the Iraq invasion. We were so stunned that it was actually going to happen that we did nothing to stop it. And I agree with him on Roberts, the career politician. I am disappointed in one thing though. If Corzine had indicated the tax increase was temporary until he changed the system fundamentally, even if it took 4 years, it would be easier to swallow.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
"I am disappointed in one thing though. If Corzine had indicated the tax increase was temporary until he changed the system fundamentally, even if it took 4 years, it would be easier to swallow."

That's the point, he's taken the no talent, easy way out, raise taxes. He's just like all the rest. I really fear that the govenorship is not his final ambition.

What's really sad is that the shutdown didn't have to happen; Corzine had presented his budget back in March, Roberts and the Assembly sat on it because they didn't like the tax increase, most likely thinking that Corzine would come around to their way of thinking with the July 1 deadline staring him in the face... I'm sure they didn't expect that Corzine wouldn't blink in regards to the sales tax.