State Shutdown

omega

Explorer
Boyd said:
So this whole fiasco was completely unneccesary and a huge waste.

not for the career politicians it wasn't, they got to put their pork through late at night, and try to look like the solved some problem. It was a problem of their own making, and the cynical side of me says it was by design. Everytime I heard one of them say "in my XX years in the legislature, I have never..." I said to whomever was near. "there's the problem, no one should be in the legislature that long. Politics should not be a career. run, serve and then go back to a real job." many have never had a real job and you can't even say they've "lost touch" because they never were "in-touch" to begin with.

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
well i guess starting saturday i will not be buying anything in new jersey. also i will be looking elsewhere to purchase a home. new jersey i love this state but im being taxed out of this state.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
OTOH New York has 8.something sales tax. But they have "tax free days" when you can buy things like clothes tax free.

I like to think this is Corzine trying some "tough love" to get the state in order and once things are fixed they will ease up. I have my doubts. The more money that comes into the coffers, the more will get spent.

All I know is that I am in the upper-middle-class income bracket and I live paycheck to paycheck. I can't imagine how worse things will be, long term.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Boyd said:
Anyway, he comes across as a nice guy, and he said some good things but nothing of any real substance. However, regarding the use of sales tax for property tax he said nothing had been worked out yet. However he feels it should be used as a lever to force municipalities to consolidate.

I feel that comment about making municipalities consolidate is is not just substance, but essence.

How about that Long Beach Island? How many different cops, mayors, etc. And they won't allow pathways for bathers, but want us to sand the beaches anyway.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Boyd said:
Feel free to ignore it and interpret any way you want, that's up to you.....For the sake of argument, let's assume that you bought a $20,000 car last year and you replace it with another $20,000 car next year. Last year the tax would have been:

$20,000 x .06 = $1,200

Next year the tax will be

$20,000 x .07 = $1,400

Now it's true that it will cost 1% more next year - $200. But the increase must be viewed in relation to the old cost of the tax, which is:

200 / 1,200 = .167

Thanks for setting me straight Boyd. I used your theory at the Mall tonite. They had my favorite Levis on sale at 20% off of the regular price of $30. I walked up to the counter with my $24 and new pants in hand. The clerk said "gee, I'm sorry, you may think you are going to pay $24, but management told me they just went up to $27 from the sales price of $24. I said, I'll take them anyway, that is still 10% off. She said, yeah, but you are getting stiffed, because that is 12.5% more than the sale price. I said, "maybe so, but its still a deal. All you are doing is telling me by what percentage you must increase $24 to equal $27. That percentage has no bearing in this situation. Have you been talking to Boyd?"

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
bobpbx said:
That percentage has no bearing in this situation. Have you been talking to Boyd?"

I'm sure that must be funny but I guess I don't get it. That's fine though. Hey, listen I really don't have any political agenda here. I'm just pointing out how people analyze things from a financial perspective, and the method I showed you is a way to compare apples and oranges basically. As you yourself observed, a 1 cent raise to a 9 cent tax isn't the same thing as a 1 cent raise to a 6 cent tax. If the cost of pair of jeans went up from $24 to $25 it wouldn't be such a big deal, but if a gallon of gas went from $3 to $4 it would be a big deal.

Whatever. I am no stranger to budgets myself, I've been responsible for managing a $3 million budget here at work since 1993. If I didn't understand how to analyze the true cost of things and make decisions based on that understanding then they wouldn't have kept me around for that long. And yeah, I also know all the tricks for selling a budget... Of course I would call something a 1% increase instead of a 17% increase if it could also be pitched that way.

I think that understanding these principles can be useful... knowledge is power. Looking at an issue from more than one side can be helpful. Then after you've done this you can draw your own conclusions. Otherwise you're just getting led around by someone else's vested interests. That's the only reason I'm still beating this long-dead horse.

Let me just ask one final question, then I promise to put it to rest. Let's say they raised the sales tax from 6 cents on the dollar to 12 cents on the dollar. Would it then be twice as much as the old rate? Or would it only be a 6% increase?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Boyd said:
Let me just ask one final question, then I promise to put it to rest. Let's say they raised the sales tax from 6 cents on the dollar to 12 cents on the dollar. Would it then be twice as much as the old rate? Or would it only be a 6% increase?

Oh no Boyd, you ain't tricking me!

We as taxpayers would be paying twice as much in sales tax (on each dollar) as the old "rate", or said differently, it would be an increase in the State sales tax "rate"; from 6% to 12%.

Lets call it a draw. I had a lot of fun debating this one, and wish to remain friends with you. You are a good guy Boyd, and hope to meet you in person some day.

omega

Explorer
a year or so ago my wife was reading a book set in Montana, so whenever I get on my soapbox (check out SHORETOWN ) she says, 'Montana is looking good."

I mentioned this to my doctor, and he laughed, he had another patient who went to Montana on a 2 week horseback expedition. Second day in she broke her leg. It took them three days to get to a hospital, and that facility had 3 beds. So, aw heck Montana still sounds good, they have a beach right? :lol:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
pinelandpaddler said:
(not to be a dental floss tycoon)

Ha, ha... I wonder how many other's got that reference? :dance:

I'm gonna find me a horse...just about this big, and ride him all along the border line with a pair of heavy-duty zircon-encrusted tweezers in my hand. Every other wrangler would say I was mighty grand"

Good luck with the move!

Boyd said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelandpaddler
(not to be a dental floss tycoon)

Ha, ha... I wonder how many other's got that reference? :dance:

I'm gonna find me a horse...just about this big, and ride him all along the border line with a pair of heavy-duty zircon-encrusted tweezers in my hand. Every other wrangler would say I was mighty grand"

Good luck with the move!

Me! :cool: