Sunrise at 1/4 Mile Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
I did not climb tuckerton road with it but I did descend the hill. careful straddling is what it took. Tires broke loose for about maybe 2 feet climbing back out of the hole. Between High Crossing and hampton Furnace I did not not do during March. I know better than to go out there in the wet season without 4 wheel drive. Alot of the damage is done by small stock vehciles going into puddles in 2 wheel drive getting stuck and then engaging 4 wheel drive and burying the ffront down. then the nbext guy comes and gets stuck. then the guy wityh big tires comes and makes it threw not really making it any deeper. The oher one that gets the roads torn up is when there is Ice over the water holes that breaks and the vehicles get stuck and try to get themselves out. Anotherone is consistancy, the more people you have travel through a puddle the more dirt gets pushed to the sides forming ruts. i'm not trying to say that some road damge is intentional but the ruts form there alot different ways.

Dave

I have seen numerous times, people with large four wheel trucks drive, into puddles, put it in 2 wheel drive, dig a giant hole than put it in 4 wheel and pull out.

Making the road impassible

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
Which todays youth would not know about without some form of map.

But they are obviously wetlands where you shouldn't drive, when the water is 1-2 feet deep over the entire area.

Nor should you drive into the vegetation, which happens on a weekly if not daily basis at the scar.

NJDEP/Fed wetlands regs are wetlands regs. No one else gets way with it because they didn't know.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
which is what I was referring to as a mapped trail that someone could easily mistake for being legal wheeling zone.

Only if you want to pretend your ignorant and justify the damage you are causing.

and if there is a ? don't drive there, wet is wet, these are not roads they are destroyed intermittent streams.

WE need to clearly teach about and post these sites.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
I take it you did read my whole post again? Selective reading....again? Reread the last sentance in my post.

Alot of the damage is done by small stock vehciles going into puddles in 2 wheel drive getting stuck

Small stock vehicles don't make 3 foot holes.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
But they are obviously wetlands where you shouldn't drive, when the water is 1-2 feet deep over the entire area.

Nor should you drive into the vegetation, which happens on a weekly if not daily basis at the scar.

NJDEP/Fed wetlands regs are wetlands regs. No one else gets way with it because they didn't know.
I realize you should not drive into vegeatation as I posted about 50 times previously to this. Sorry Mike I have tried to reason with you but my days of speaking with you are over I will continue elsewheres. You are like a programmed robot you hear nothing other than what you wish and read nothing other than what you wish. I support alot of what you say but quite honestly I see you doing nothing but making the problem worse, so keep walking in your footsteps and hopefully you won't trip.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I did not climb tuckerton road with it but I did descend the hill. careful straddling is what it took. Tires broke loose for about maybe 2 feet climbing back out of the hole. Between High Crossing and hampton Furnace I did not not do during March. I know better than to go out there in the wet season without 4 wheel drive. Alot of the damage is done by small stock vehciles going into puddles in 2 wheel drive getting stuck and then engaging 4 wheel drive and burying the ffront down. then the nbext guy comes and gets stuck. then the guy wityh big tires comes and makes it threw not really making it any deeper. The oher one that gets the roads torn up is when there is Ice over the water holes that breaks and the vehicles get stuck and try to get themselves out. Anotherone is consistancy, the more people you have travel through a puddle the more dirt gets pushed to the sides forming ruts. i'm not trying to say that some road damge is intentional but the ruts form there alot different ways.

We are not fair weather pines enthusiasts here. You said that you see no problems whith the roads using your Caravan. I got news for you, there IS a road problem. What about the hunters and trappers who need access year round?

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
We are not fair weather pines enthusiasts here. You said that you see no problems whith the roads using your Caravan. I got news for you, there IS a road problem. What about the hunters and trappers who need access year round?
Then what's youre suggestion? mine was to get a 4 wheel drive STOCK and drive it correctly and there isn't but a handful of trails that can't be gone down. We are talking dirt roads here.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I don't know how to fix it, it's been out of control for too long. I'm not just talking about 1/4 mile, there's nonsence going on all over without repercussion. It doesn't take many to mess it up. The responsible parties have ignored it and it has become an outlaw forest. We are just trying to put the spotlight on it so the ones in power will wake up and do their jobs. The really sad part is that it is so obvious, how can the state ignore it?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Then what's youre suggestion? mine was to get a 4 wheel drive STOCK and drive it correctly and there isn't but a handful of trails that can't be gone down. We are talking dirt roads here.

Yeah, I got a TJ, no lift and stock size tires and I find it plenty of a challange even getting down the main roads at certain times of the year.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL

That's what I've been doing for 25 years and it works fine. Before that I only had 2 wheel drive and still was able to drive down the majority of roads with no problem. BUT, things have changed over the years, the number of roads that I ride down now, without using 4-wheel drive has gotten smaller due to all the rutting caused by misuse of vehicles. I have not driven on some of my former favorite roads due to their damaged condition. Small ruts are even created by knuckleheads on Carranza road! And it seems like once a rut begins, every other knucklehead wants to jump in and make it bigger and add to them causing the road to become impassable to many.
I don't think there is a suggestion that will solve the problem or will satisfy both sides, but strict and frequent enforcement of the current laws (wanton destruction of a public roadway or public property should cover most instances) would be a step in the right direction.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
I realize you should not drive into vegeatation as I posted about 50 times previously to this. Sorry Mike I have tried to reason with you but my days of speaking with you are over I will continue elsewheres. You are like a programmed robot you hear nothing other than what you wish and read nothing other than what you wish. I support alot of what you say but quite honestly I see you doing nothing but making the problem worse, so keep walking in your footsteps and hopefully you won't trip.

I am merely responding to your numerous excuses of wonton illegal activity "small truck making holes in the roads", illegal driving in wetlands "Which todays youth would not know about"

Ignorance of the law doesn't cut it. when in fact most pof these [poeple know what they are doing and that it is wrong on so many levels

I said before and I'll say again.

We all must work together to stop this or the state will ruin it for every one.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Pineslover,

The fact of the matter is that I do hunt and fish in NJ and while checking one of my stands with my wife and daughter that is near the scar as you call it, I lost a tire due to a booby trap that someone placed in one of the 2 track puddles. I have a thread on here about it and have subsequebtly found 4 more of these same "devices". My truck is not overly huge nor does it have giant tires on it and I can get most anyplace I need to go out there in 2WD when it's dry or 4WD when it's wet without any destruction. I have been stuck in some of the ruts the "knuckleheads" create in the roads and don't appreciate it.
Also you speak more on revoking permits in the answer to my post, are you not listening to yourself and others? If we allow the government to revoke permits of any type due to the subjectivity of a law enforcement official then there will be a landslide of this type of thing IMHO. I do agree that everyone needs to work together on this issue, once we start choosing sides we have already lost. You also cite examples about You Tube and the Jamboree destroying the enviornment, but there are also videos of trucks driving up Jemimah Mount and also throught the cellar hole in Mount. While 1/4 seems to be the most popular with the wheeling crowd there are other areas as Devilstoy and Mudboy Dave mentioned that will most likely suffer the same fate as 1/4 in the near future. If it continues along this path I see closure to all motorized vehicles in the future.

willysj

Aug 31, 2010
prior to 2006, the ranger services allowed jeep jamboree to use approved established state roads near and through the 1/4 mile area. after that, the area was ruled to envirormentally sensitive, therefor off limts. The actual you tube videos are not from 1/4 mile. If they are, they are false, not from the actual jeep jamboree. The jamboree only used approved ,established roads. Yes these roads were wet, for its was May and the cranberry farmers had just emptied their bogs and it is hard rain season. the jamboree is "not" there to tear up the land, it is 100% opposite. The objective of the jeep jamboree is to give jeep owners the opportunity to actually use their 4wd on approved, established state roads, tread lightly[stay on the trail, do not litter, clean up trash, respect the environment], enjoy mother nature ats is finest. the jamboree does "not" promote tearing up the land in any way. Im sure jeep jamboree is aware of the negative publicity it is receiving and will promote tread lighty harder than ever before. I will be sure to let them know.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
WillysJ,

Thanks! I was hoping somone affiliated with the Jamboree would chime in here. I have never attended the Jersey Jamboree but couldn't imagine an organized manufacturer sponsored event such as that condoning anything less than tread lightly.

willysj

Aug 31, 2010
broke jeep joe your welcome. im not a computer guy but i havent been able to sleep at night with this whole thing going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.