The NEW Beer Thread

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Sierra Nevada makes "Bigfoot Barleywine".
(An appropriate beverage for Bigfoot hunting expeditions)

It kicks ass and takes names but you will be back again for more !

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Yes sir. Love the Bigfoot! Many fond memories were made and quickly lost while drinking that potion. Not your typical Barleywine though. Much hoppier and less thick.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Reminds me of the time my dad and I put away two cases of Billy Beer in the late 70's, hoping that they would become collector's items.
It lasted about six months and I gradually started "borrowing" the beers one or two at time. After less than a year, my dad said to hell with it and we drank the rest.
:guinness:

Looks like we made the right decision as full cases are struggling to get $60.00 on Ebay.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Iron City!
50 cent quarts of Iron City Beer
icon_good.gif

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
I met a guy named Steve who lives on Bass River about 1/4 mile upstream of the RT 9 bridge. He let me on his property to launch my kayak onto the river and like me, he's a scuba diver. He tells me that he and his friends were partying on his boat docked there, he got pretty drunk and dropped his cell phone in the river. He went out there the next day with scuba equipment to find it. He found instead an old beer container (I think he said bottle). He had it appraised and found out it dated back to the late 1600's. The bottle is worth $30,000. He looked around for more but didn't find any.

Reactions: pineywoman
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I met a guy named Steve who lives on Bass River about 1/4 mile upstream of the RT 9 bridge. He let me on his property to launch my kayak onto the river and like me, he's a scuba diver. He tells me that he and his friends were partying on his boat docked there, he got pretty drunk and dropped his cell phone in the river. He went out there the next day with scuba equipment to find it. He found instead an old beer container (I think he said bottle). He had it appraised and found out it dated back to the late 1600's. The bottle is worth $30,000. He looked around for more but didn't find any.

Get the hell outta here! That's incredible. Who made the beer and bottle?

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I like the lambic raspberry....yummy!! ScubaBruce that's awesome!! I like to scuba, but never thought in NJ. I go in the islands. Too murky here. That's crazy he found something like that 400 years later. That's a discovery.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
You can make a very good black and tan with Oatmeal (or chocolate) Stout and Raspberry Lambic. There was a bar in Manhattan that I used to frequent and that was one of their special drinks.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
Get the hell outta here! That's incredible. Who made the beer and bottle?
I knew I was going to have to back that story up as soon as I posted it. The guy's name is Steve Lins and I only met him once when I trespassed on his property trying to find a kayak access point on the upper part of Bass River. He was really nice about it and let me use his property. We did a lot of talking and got friendly. He invited me in to see the bottle and I had a camera, but I was exhausted from kayaking all day in the heat and declined. I wasn't that interested in beer bottles. However, I do have his phone number and will try to get more info on the bottle and maybe a picture.

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
OK I talked to Steve. He said the bottle is a ginger beer bottle with the name O. Tinkham on it. There's another one like it in one of NY history museums but I couldn't find it. I was wrong on the appraisal price......it was $1,500, not $30,000 (sorry). It is from the late 1600's. This is a picture I took of Steve's boat on Bass River from which he lost the cell phone. Steve said he'd be happy to show the bottle off at his house if anyone's that interested.
100_0162.JPG