Thoughts on ATV use in New Jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog

Dec 10, 2017
usa
ATV use in New Jersey and especially in the Pine Barrens has been debated for quite some time. Anyone who has read some of my posts understands I am an advocate for ATV use on state land. I recognize there is no easy solution and there is not one solution that would satisfy everyone. I still feel that if both sides could come together a plan could be hatched out. These are my thoughts and ideas and I wanted to pass them along to see how you feel about them. Any input would be great and much appreciate.

#1: Any and all ATV's and off-road motorcycles would have to registered and insured. If stopped by a law enforcement official proof of registration and insurance would have to be provided.

#2: Any and all ATV's and off-road motorcycles would be required to have a license plate mounted to vehicle.

#3: Anyone who operates such a vehicle in a state forest must have a sticker or permit, much like the ones needed to gain access to Island Beach State Park. The cost would be between $200 and $300 per year. A limited amount would be available.

#4: A map would be provided to the applicant to show ATV designated areas. The map would show which trails ATV's are allowed on, if the operator is on a trail that is not shown on the map, they could be fined and/or lose their permit.

ATV's would not be permitted to have free reign over the state forests. Only certain state forests would allow ATV's and only in certain areas. No access in or near overly sensitive areas. Designated areas would be rotated every year. For example: If section 1 was used this year, the following year ATV use would only permitted in section 2 and ATV use would no longer be permitted in the previous section.

#5: Riders would be required to wear blaze orange, either a jacket, cover on their helmet and/or a flag. This would make it harder for them to hide if they were to wonder off a designated trail.

#6: ATV's would be required to meet a certain decibel limit. Determined by the state and for the machine to be accepted it would have to be tested at a state run facility.

#7: Any and all ATV operators would be required to participate in classes about the Pine Barrens and conservation efforts in New Jersey. Riders would learn why the Pine Barrens are so unique and why they need to be protected. Respect for the Pine Barrens and nature in general would be the goal. Said class would also cost the rider money. $25 to $50. This class would be availabe approximately 4 times per year and would be mandatory.

Okay those are some of my ideas. What do you think? Flame away. Haha.

bigdog

Dec 10, 2017
usa
instead of using state land you ever think of using federal land...…...Earle Naval base has thousands of acres of land that is not being utilized. I'm not sure of how to go about getting permission to ride there but it might be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.