TICKS!

B

bach2yoga

Well, yesterday was my first day of major ticks this spring. Martha Windisch and Joe and I and kids were at a few preserves yesterday and we came out with a busload of ticks, no fewer than two dozen between us. Pull out those repellents, people!
Today she and I are headed to Crossley. I haven't gotten there yet so I am looking forward to going.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
I am testing out a new repellant - all natural, no DEET. If it works well I am going to start selling it.

Who is Martha Windisch?

Let me know if it works!
She's Andy Windisch's wife, she's with Natural Lands Trust. She's pretty cool.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
Ken and I had a few on us last weekend. Ticks I can handle. It's the chiggers that I'm not looking forward to.

Steve

You haven't seen Kristen come out of the woods....if there is a nest of ticks anywhere within ten miles, she'll find it! She's literally been covered with hundreds at a time, and she's had lymes. :(
But by golly, when she got chigger bites last year, she was one miserable kid! :rolleyes:
Renee

Lorun

Explorer
Apr 10, 2004
Woolwich
Ticks and young children

I am concerned about taking my two year old out into the pines with me on a hike due to the ticks and lymes. I am not sure if I trust the safety of insect repellents on young kids. If anyone can offer suggestions or coments on this I would appreciate it.

Ron

B

bach2yoga

Ron,
I've bushwacked many a time with mine, who are now 5 and 9. There is definitely a correlation between bushwacking and ticks. You'll get them either way, but not to the same extent by any stretch of the imagination.
My son has been going out with me since he was that little. The best prevention I have found is to have him ride in a backpack on your back. We have one that goes up to 60 lbs. Follow usual dress precautions, pants tucked in socks, shirts tucked in, and light colored clothes. And have him wear a little moab hat, lite color---REI sells them. My kids love theirs.
Cut his hair really short so you can see them--that helps so much. I just buzz Joseph's hair to about 1/4" in summer so I can spot things.
There are organic all natural insect repellents that are helpful but far from completely effective. Beats pure DEET on a kid if you are vigilant with checking them and take all other precautions.
This may sound strange, but be sure to check their ears, belly buttons, underarms, and their private areas. Ticks like those warm areas.
The other thing, don't concentrate on looking for ticks or chiggers or you'll likely miss them. Look for moving spots of dirt.
And with the little ones, try to stay on wider trails if you can--not little deer paths.
When you remove ticks, try to get all of the tick out. If you don't--don't mutilate the poor kid trying to. It used to be we took them to the doctor to get out the mouth piece or whatever if you didn't get all of it. Doctors don't do that anymore. Your body will recognize it as a foreign substance and over the course of a few months will get rid of it on its own.
A tick bite, even if caught quickly, can itch for up to a year with a small bump.
I always take spare clothes for the kids. Once Kristen had so many on her--literally hundreds-- that it was faster and more effective to change her. There is no way we could have gotten them all off of her. We put her clothes into a garbage bag and right into the washer.
Just some suggestions from my experience.
Renee

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
well i must have stepped in a nest of deer ticks today in chatsworyh....ive pulled about 50 of those little bastards off of me so far.....im a bit worried about lymes disease though......is there anything to wash with that will kill them...i just want to be sure i didnt miss any,,,,,and your right renee about the private area....will using a little bleach in the shower kill them????and will washing your clothes kill whats left on my clothing or is there some special detergant that kills them....thanx for any info.......tom

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Capttom, wish I knew you were in Chatsworth today, we could have hooked up. I was there with my friend Barbara. We explored Friendship, then stopped and had lunch at Hedger House. Very interesting crowd in there today. I saw Spike and his brother Stanley Wells. Spike owns the saw mill on Rt 206, down near Pic-a-lily Bar.
You can't miss Spike, he has a very long white beard.
While we were at Friendship, a shiny black car stopped and a man with a black uniform and dark glasses got out. He stood far from us, but we could see that he wore a belt with a gun. He asked which way to the main road. So we told him, but insead of getting back in his car...he just sort of walked around pretending to be looking at the ruins. Sometimes he would openly stare at us. Very unusual. Makes me wonder what may have happened if only one of us was there.

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
bruset said:
If you can see em, they're not deer ticks.
i can see em but they arevery small...like the size of a head of a pin.......i hope they arent deer ticks...that would begood news!!!

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
suresue592003 said:
Capttom, wish I knew you were in Chatsworth today, we could have hooked up. I was there with my friend Barbara. We explored Friendship, then stopped and had lunch at Hedger House. Very interesting crowd in there today. I saw Spike and his brother Stanley Wells. Spike owns the saw mill on Rt 206, down near Pic-a-lily Bar.
You can't miss Spike, he has a very long white beard.
While we were at Friendship, a shiny black car stopped and a man with a black uniform and dark glasses got out. He stood far from us, but we could see that he wore a belt with a gun. He asked which way to the main road. So we told him, but insead of getting back in his car...he just sort of walked around pretending to be looking at the ruins. Sometimes he would openly stare at us. Very unusual. Makes me wonder what may have happened if only one of us was there.
well i was right in the area...i was installing a sattalite dishtwo doors down from the general store....drove by the hedger house a few times in my travels today....im good friends with alfie from the woodshed...so ive met quite a few of the locals from chatsworth in the last 12 years....and they are a great bunch of peeps!!!! i used to drive by the woodshed when i was younger and think to myself that place must be trouble...i was young and misinformed!!!that is the only bar i can say that ive never seen a fight in or even an argument that got out of control....i dont even drink!! i just like to go there to say hello to all the fine peeps ive met there.and talk about fishing and stuff like that............i dont know what to say about the man in black that you saw today....sounds kind of creepy!!!ill let you know the next time i head up that way....im sure you could clue me in on some stuff in the area......thank you for your reply......tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
suresue592003 said:

He may have been waiting for you to leave, so he could bury the body!

Guy

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
TeeGate, that thought did cross my mind! Anytime, Capttom, just email me a day or two ahead of time. I think the owner of Woodshed is named Alfie. But there is an Alfie that goes into the Hedger House too. Not sure who you mean. Woodshed is very entertaining during deer season in December. LOL. ...Sue...

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
hey sue ...i was refering to the owner of the woodshed....i didnt know there were two alfies !!LOL!!!...are u sure the one that goes in the hedger house isnt named albie???and albie just so happens to live on the road you grew up on..ill give you some notice before i go to chatsworth again......thanx....tom...oh and in the twelve years ive been going to the shed ive never been there for deer week.......maybe this year!LOL!!!alfie got in a little trouble a few years ago about it....so i hear its tamed down quite a bit since then........damn should have went a few years ago!LOL!!