Trashy pines

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
We should organize a monthly clean up!

Problem is, where to put the stuff. The organized cleanups are pre-arranged with dumpsters for specific use. You would be trying to unload crap on your local dumps or township trucks or little by little in the weekly trash. Some of this I do but grand scale monthly you will only cause yourself grief. Do small things all year. Do big things at cleanups where you have numbers to help you.

g.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
Problem is, where to put the stuff. The organized cleanups are pre-arranged with dumpsters for specific use. You would be trying to unload crap on your local dumps or township trucks or little by little in the weekly trash. Some of this I do but grand scale monthly you will only cause yourself grief. Do small things all year. Do big things at cleanups where you have numbers to help you.

g.

Yea that is true. I did not know of the specific dumpsters and all that. I would agree that picking up as you go along is a definite way to handle it for the most part

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I've known several people/groups who tried to do a good thing in regards to a cleanup but didn't look into what was involved disposing of the debris first. It's only gotten more complicated with the many different types of materials each having specific legal ways of being disposed of. I met a guy a few weeks ago that hauled a truckload of tires from the woods, and the municipal yard he took them to tried to charge him a fee per tire. That may not make sense at first, considering what he was doing, but if they didn't have such a policy all the tire dealers and garages would take free advantage of something they (or their customers) should be paying for. A large scale clean-up and related disposal can be arranged, but you just can't show up with the debris and expect it to be accepted no fee/no questions.

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
When you said "big" today at work, that is not what I envisioned.
Damn. Any A-hole could have put that out for their township truck to pick up. Simple as a phone call.
Keep notes of where you see stuff so you can have a jump on the clean up. I know it may be frustrating to see the tires out there but you'll have a fun time getting rid of them. All year long I go with small attacks, telling myself I am doing some good, and save the big stuff for cleanup day.
With your new truck, you can be a huge help!

g.
Technically it is "big". I guess I should have said "gigantic". I'm definetly in for the next clean up. I guess the tires I picked up will have to be disposed of then, too.
Paul

I've known several people/groups who tried to do a good thing in regards to a cleanup but didn't look into what was involved disposing of the debris first. It's only gotten more complicated with the many different types of materials each having specific legal ways of being disposed of. I met a guy a few weeks ago that hauled a truckload of tires from the woods, and the municipal yard he took them to tried to charge him a fee per tire. That may not make sense at first, considering what he was doing, but if they didn't have such a policy all the tire dealers and garages would take free advantage of something they (or their customers) should be paying for. A large scale clean-up and related disposal can be arranged, but you just can't show up with the debris and expect it to be accepted no fee/no questions.

Good Point.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
More Tires

THIS SUCKS!!!

These were probably worn out running the Pines, then just dumped there.

There's gotta be a better way.

These are on Burnt House Rd.(Sandy Causeway) between Goshen and Chew Rd. If anyone knows where to get rid of tires, let me know and I'll pick them up.

Tires.jpg

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
If you are a farmer (or know one who's willing to help you out), Burlington County is having a free spring tire roundup for "Burlington County farmers who intend to stay in farming for at least the next 5 years" from now through May 16. The number to call for more information is 609-499-1001 extension 272.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Trash

Thats pretty much what I do . I usually take a couple bags with me and when there filled thats it for the day. sometimes I grab some bigger stuff If I have a dumpster on one of my job sites though.
We always took trash bags when we did canoe trips, always full at the end of the line. In some of the parks here in Florida there are separate containers for recyclables. My wife and I are constantly picking up trash on the roads near our home. It blows my mind. I was parked outside a McD's once, and this elegant woman, dressed to the nines, walked out to her vehicle, sat there and ate her food, then opened her window and dumped the trash right there in front of me. She just did not give a damn. I think it's a MENTAL ILLNESS. :jeffd:

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Yesterday afternoon, my 8 yr old daughter and I took a ride in the woods to one of my favorite pick/fishin'-woodie/huntin' spots to try our luck with a couple of Mepps spinners. The fish weren't biting, so we walked around a bit. We couldn't believe the amount of trash scattered about.
She and I decided to run home real quick to get our trash cans and a couple bags and come back. We cleaned up part of the roadway, parking area and the path that fronts the pond. It took us about an hour. Good thing, it was getting dark.
I wasn't able to make the Forked River Mts clean-up, as it was my wife's b-day last Sat.:muffin: This was a make-up of sorts for me, and I was so glad my daughter wanted to help me.
After pushing thru some pretty heavy brush, we were rewarded by having only 2 ticks between us. She was rewarded with a blue-raspberry water ice.:dance:

Attachments

• Trash.jpg
    Trash.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 258

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yesterday afternoon, my 8 yr old daughter and I took a ride in the woods to one of my favorite pick/fishin'-woodie/huntin' spots to try our luck with a couple of Mepps spinners. The fish weren't biting, so we walked around a bit. We couldn't believe the amount of trash scattered about.
She and I decided to run home real quick to get our trash cans and a couple bags and come back. We cleaned up part of the roadway, parking area and the path that fronts the pond. It took us about an hour. Good thing, it was getting dark.
I wasn't able to make the Forked River Mts clean-up, as it was my wife's b-day last Sat.:muffin: This was a make-up of sorts for me, and I was so glad my daughter wanted to help me.
After pushing thru some pretty heavy brush, we were rewarded by having only 2 ticks between us. She was rewarded with a blue-raspberry water ice.:dance:

You both did quite well! As long as there are people like you, your daughter, and others, the pines will be looked after.

Guy

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
every time i take my dad for a ride in the woods, we bring a few bags, and we also have the bed of my ranger.. we are never at a loss for stuff to pick up.. i just do not understand it.. the good news is, the deeper you go into the woods (and off the main roads), it does get better, but you still see stuff. i've seen someone drop something out of their window before. it just blows my mind.. really really REALLY ignorant.. !!!

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
It's very satisfying to give a little back to the piece of land that offers me so much pleasure. I'm happy to pass along this way of thinking to my kids as my father did to me.And I'm proud to hear kind words from the people on this board who do so much good for the barrens.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Thanks for your efforts

Thanks for your cleanup efforts and also for teaching your daughter to appreciate and respect the woods. I always take an extender grabber (or whatever they are called) with me that allows me to pick up most trash without even bending down and also allows reaching into thick brush for those beer bottles. It even makes it kind of fun. I can now even get my wife to come out and help me, as long as she has a grabber of her own. :)

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
The recycling truck came by this morning and he took the whole 35 gal. can of old recyclables from the woods, plus my weekly can, with no comments. Mission accomplished.:)