Tree Cutting on Quaker Bridge Rd.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Don, well the mill site on Sleepy Creek was just at the boundary of Washington Township. I have little doubt this is the mill being referenced. BTW, welcome to the site. Looks like you have a keen interest in local history.

Thanks for the welcome,

Looks like you are on the money and that’s good because it is the only sleepy Creek I know.

About Josiah Foster, he was not an Indian Commissioner; one of the commissioners was a William Foster may be a relative, don’t know. The rest is true. He bought the lot in 1802 and sold it in 1803. I had to go down the basement and check, guess the memory in going.

Yes, I like local history and love the Pine Barrens. Give me a tarpaper shack back in the woods and I’d be in Piney heaven.

Don

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
To narrow this down the exact location is here.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.6921&lng=-74.681&z=17&type=h&gpx=

This places it in Atlantic County.

You can still see the remains of it under the water.

1.JPG

2.JPG

IMG_6070.JPG

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Thanks to Jerseyman's research, I found the following additional information concerning David Fisher and Mordecai Landing:

1784, Jan. 6. Garwood, Daniel, of Evesham, Burlington Co., yeoman; will of. Wife, Susanna, all household goods and the little still. Son, John 5 shillings. Son, Isaiah, land I bought of David Fisher, at Mordica's Landing, on the east side of Little Egg Harbor River, and % of my cedar swamp in Bear Swamp. Son, Japhet, plantation where I live. Grandchildren, Arosamon Hewlings and John Garwood, Jr., £5 each. Daughters, Ruth and Susanna, rest of personal estate. Executors — sons, Japhet and Isaiah. Witnesses — Job Collins, Elizabeth Collins, John Torr. Proved May 10, 1784.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
This shows the Burlington County /Atlantic County line.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/08162012/mill.jpg

Don't look for that stone because it is not there. I did find a poor concrete monument there. All of them placed there in 1935.

Guy

Guy

Your photos are just outstanding, and clearly show the remains of a sawmill. Without question this was a sawmill on Sleepy Creek. But, unless I am wrong it is Atlantic County and a lot more than “about three miles” from Atsion Works. According to Jerseyman transcription it was in Washington Twp. I’m sure this is the only Sleepy Creek around but none of it is in Burlington County. On one hand I would agree this is it and on the other they could not have gotten the counties wrong on the description.

Thanks again for the photos

Don

Don, Guy, and Gabe:

The 1872 Atlantic County sheet map places the Sleepy Creek Millpond in Atlantic County, but it appears the dam stood right at the mouth of the creek, placing the dam, and consequently, the mill, in Washington Township, Burlington County, although the physical location of the dam is certainly geographically arguable. The mill could have cantilevered off the dam on straddled the Atsion River. With the advertisement indicates the boards flowed out of the tail race and floated on down to the Forks, it strongly suggests that the cantilever off the dam is the correct answer. Here is the map:

Sleepy Creek Mill.jpg

Since the broadside advertises land for sale totally contained within Washington Township, the 700-acre Sleepy Mill Tract must have stood across the Atsion River in Burlington County.

Regarding Josiah Foster, he was the son of William Foster. The collection I examined last evening contains numerous documents concerning the Indian Reservation.

The herring fishery should not be confused with a herring factory or a herring hatchery.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Folks:

Foster, et al., sold the Sleepy Creek Mill sometime during the late 1780s or early 1790s. In 1795, Samuel Murdock, a succeeding owner, advertised the mill and property for sale:

FOR SALE,

SIX hundred acres of PINE LAND, in New Jersey, bounded by Atsion river and Sleepy Creek, about 5 miles from Atsion and Basto [Batsto] iron-works: there are on this land, a quantity of timber, fit for boards and scantling, also a saw-mill on Sleepy Creek, and a cedar dwelling house. The mill is conveniently situated, adjoining a large cedar swamp, and will have the advantage of cutting the timber that grows thereabout, as there is not another saw-mill within many miles; sea vessels may come up the river within a mile of the mill, from which lumber may be rafted, and loaded for Philadelphia, New York, or the West Indies. For further particulars, enquire of the subscriber, living in Front street, Southwark, No. 264. SAMUEL MURDOCK.
Philadelphia, Feb. 9.

By the 1850s, references about the mill usually added “the old” in front of the name.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: Don Catts

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Don, Guy, and Gabe:

The 1872 Atlantic County sheet map places the Sleepy Creek Millpond in Atlantic County, but it appears the dam stood right at the mouth of the creek, placing the dam, and consequently, the mill, in Washington Township, Burlington County, although the physical location of the dam is certainly geographically arguable. The mill could have cantilevered off the dam on straddled the Atsion River. With the advertisement indicates the boards flowed out of the tail race and floated on down to the Forks, it strongly suggests that the cantilever off the dam is the correct answer. Here is the map:

View attachment 2383

Since the broadside advertises land for sale totally contained within Washington Township, the 700-acre Sleepy Mill Tract must have stood across the Atsion River in Burlington County.

Regarding Josiah Foster, he was the son of William Foster. The collection I examined last evening contains numerous documents concerning the Indian Reservation.

The herring fishery should not be confused with a herring factory or a herring hatchery.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

With this explanation, Guy's Photos & maps, and Gabe's maps and info it could not be any clearer
Thanks, Don

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Folks:

Foster, et al., sold the Sleepy Creek Mill sometime during the late 1780s or early 1790s. In 1795, Samuel Murdock, a succeeding owner, advertised the mill and property for sale:

FOR SALE,

SIX hundred acres of PINE LAND, in New Jersey, bounded by Atsion river and Sleepy Creek, about 5 miles from Atsion and Basto [Batsto] iron-works: there are on this land, a quantity of timber, fit for boards and scantling, also a saw-mill on Sleepy Creek, and a cedar dwelling house. The mill is conveniently situated, adjoining a large cedar swamp, and will have the advantage of cutting the timber that grows thereabout, as there is not another saw-mill within many miles; sea vessels may come up the river within a mile of the mill, from which lumber may be rafted, and loaded for Philadelphia, New York, or the West Indies. For further particulars, enquire of the subscriber, living in Front street, Southwark, No. 264. SAMUEL MURDOCK.
Philadelphia, Feb. 9.

By the 1850s, references about the mill usually added “the old” in front of the name.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

More great info Jerseyman. I like the 5 miles from Atsion better than three. You can say this information puts the icing on the cake. Thanks also for the info on Josiah Foaster. If I am not mistaken he did a lot of surveying in the Atsion area.

Don

More great info Jerseyman. I like the 5 miles from Atsion better than three. You can say this information puts the icing on the cake. Thanks also for the info on Josiah Foaster. If I am not mistaken he did a lot of surveying in the Atsion area.

Don

Don:

If you reread the information from the broadside I posted, it states that the Sleepy Mill Tract was situated 3 miles from Atsion, not the mill. Given its size—700 acres—I think the 3-mile descriptor is likely appropriate.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Again, thank you for the excellent info, Jerseyman. I'm curious as to what sort of "sea vessels" were able to make it that far up the river.

Folks:

FOR SALE,

Philadelphia, Feb. 9.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Jerseyman,

What was the nature of the "herring fishery" that was located at Mordecai Landing?

As for the location of the dam on Sleepy Creek, I know for sure that there was a dam at the location I linked to previously, but perhaps there was an earlier dam at the mouth of the creek. I will be at the location tomorrow and will be sure to report back.

Thank you all for the stimulating discussion.

Don, Guy, and Gabe:

View attachment 2383

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Jerseyman,

What was the nature of the "herring fishery" that was located at Mordecai Landing?

As for the location of the dam on Sleepy Creek, I know for sure that there was a dam at the location I linked to previously, but perhaps there was an earlier dam at the mouth of the creek. I will be at the location tomorrow and will be sure to report back.

Thank you all for the stimulating discussion.

Gabe:

The mention of a herring fishery at the landing strongly suggests that it was a commercial operation. If that is the case, then it owned a set distance for its net throw limit. It likely had one or two skiffs for deploying the net and possibly a capstan onshore the net haul. They may also employed a horse or two to facilitate the haul. It is most unfortunate that no fishery bonds survive for Burlington County; I have photocopies of the Gloucester County bonds for the Delaware River fisheries.

I look forward to a report on you findings tomorrow.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: pinelandpaddler

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, the PBX crew had a paddle planned for today that went right by the Sleepy Creek at the confluence of the Mullica as Gabe mentioned.

We are at the confluence of the Mullica and the Sleepy with Scott being on the Mullica.

IMG_0625.JPG

Iron ore was mined for sure in the bog behind Scott. It was leaching right out of the ground. The mud was a foot thick and below it the iron ore was solid.

IMG_0627.JPG

Check out this huge and ugly Xyrus.

IMG_0622a.jpg

And a purple bladderwort. This was a struggle to photograph as Bob had to hold onto me while I waded in mud up to my waist. I needed a filter on this one which my camera does not have.

IMG_0632a.jpg

Guy]

Reactions: Don Catts

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Guy and Gabe

No dam but it looks like you had a good time. Is the water high from the rain or does it look normal. From the photos it looks like you have a good flow. Idea for a sawmill (600 RPM).
BTW guy your photos look highly professional, as do several of the folks on this forum. Therefore, you may never see any of my point & shoot photos posted. I just have a camera I carry in my pocket.
The ore bog looks like it’s ready to mine. Did you see the bog iron F. Miller pulled out when he was digging his cranberry bogs? He tried to keep them in one piece but he couldn't get them on his flatbed. He broke them and took them up to his place.

Interesting trip thanks for sharing, Don