View?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob
I was out there last year. I think you can see it in Guy's photo, isn't there a mailbox on one of the sand road intersections?

I think this is part of Brick Wall corp. Even back in the '70's I don't think a sand co. would venture on public or private land it didn't own. I think there's more to it than your assessment of "get the hell out of here" from the State. Maybe your right and Pinelands put a stop to it as they did that big proposed development in Manchester just West of the Lacey Line? You know where I'm talking about, Wynnwood I think, next to Roosevelt City?

I would think that hill comprised of the "right" sand and when the sand ran out so did the hill. That entire area just up from Bryant rd has been mined heavy and now left to reclaim itself. I haven't seen any Conservancy signs in this particular area, are you sure it's now their land? If Brick Wall can no longer mine there they may have sold or donated for a tax purpose since it would be worthless to them. It could have been a "peace" offering, here, you can have this, now leave us be.

JD, I don't recall the mailbox, but it would not surprise me. What you say could all be true or partially true, but I'm almost positive that the remediation method was blasted by everyone. I wish I really knew the full story, it would make for interesting reading. It's in some archives somewhere I'm sure. It is Nature Conservancy land now, but that switched hands only 7-10(?) years ago.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
The hill that was stood on to take most of these pics was outside the clearly, and frequently, marked conservancy borders. It is on the north end of the clearing. The mailbox is still there at the bottom of the hill, just outside the marked borders. The land where the best views are(top of the hill) could very well still be owned by the gravel co. But it is right on top of the conservancy border also. So close they would probably have to infringe on conservancy land to excavate the hill. Also there is still alot of land between the hill and the gravel pits. I hiked a few of those trails that day too. It is actually nice back there. I hope they leave it all alone. I would recommend the hike to anyone who loves the pines.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Speaking of mailboxes, there was one near Sim Place on the red road up until recently. The post was still there a few weeks ago but the box is gone.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
I have traversed up and down all 3 branches of the Forked River, I have walked and canoed the cedar creek. I have hiked up and down hills through the Forked River Mountains. I have crossed over to Webbs Mill and to the hills west of 539. I climbed the tower after a trip on the Batona to the top of Apple Pie Hill. I have explored the trails around Bamber Lake and Greenwood to the north. I have sat on the banks of Dover Forge after a nice hike on a Double Trouble Trail. Then one day last week I saw some pictures on this site. The next day I walked a nice trail along the Chamberlain Branch. Then walked a mile on Wrights road to the "Serengetti". I found my Avatar. I hated leaving there and I wont be away for long. Again, thanks to all involved in this post. I have always loved the Pine Barrens, and now I am a fan, and a proud new member of this awesome website