Where is this?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Who among you pine barren travelers can pinpoint the location of this old bridge? It looks like it was privately made.
upload_2018-7-11_17-37-52.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That gun club is called Eagle Point Gun Club. Much longer length to be Bob's.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I don't know where it is but I note an unusual construction feature that is not usually seen.

The masonry block continues all the way to the gable peak, requiring that all of the block carrying the roof to be cut on an angle and then filled to create a bearing surface for the first rafter. The more common, simpler and efficient construction technique is to construct a uniform block box with a level surface around the building perimeter. Roof trusses are then installed with bearing on the front and rear walls and the gable ends are framed in.

It also looks like a miscalculation was made because there are no concrete lintels over the front second story windows to support the trusses. It looks like a wood nailer on top of the block. The endwall windows do have lintels.

Reactions: h2ochild

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I can hear the conversation now:

"Hey, we have no more money to buy wood Larry!"

"Well, hell, we have a lot of leftover block, and Bud is handy with masonry".

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
The shoddy construction appears to be withstanding the test of time with no adverse affects. However this doesn't tell us where the building is located. LOL

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Perhaps it uses a steel lintel over the upstairs windows? My house was built with steel lintels in the front, facing the street, and reinforced concrete ones in the back and sides. I assume at the time the concrete ones were cheaper, and the extra money was only spent in the highly visible areas.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Perhaps it uses a steel lintel over the upstairs windows? My house was built with steel lintels in the front, facing the street, and reinforced concrete ones in the back and sides. I assume at the time the concrete ones were cheaper, and the extra money was only spent in the highly visible areas.

When I built my addition, I had to remove a lintel or two in the wall I busted through. Damn, are they heavy! If I recall it was steel reinforced too. I forget how I finally got rid of them. Maybe I buried them in the back yard. :D

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014

Personally I think the right lintel adds to the look of a building.