Where was Davis Grove?

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
The price is still listed on one side, $1.09 per gallon. I can't remember when it was that cheap but probably between 1990 and 1995? I drive Route 70 from 4 Mile Circle to Chairville every day now, and I don't see anything that resembles the two buildings in the Davis Grove picture. There has been much new development in Medford between Chairville and the prior "Medford Circle" and if there was any other older gas station it could have been demolished long ago.
Geoff

in 1999 and 2000 it could have been 1.09

My biggest thing is why is there no mention whatsoever, anywhere, of a place in NJ called Davis Grove?? Not even on the old maps?? Very curious.

LMCFashions:

I suspect that “Davis Grove” is not a geographical place name per se; rather, it is the name of a privately owned picnic grove adjacent to the filling station. This is why the name does not appear on any New Jersey maps and why I initially thought the facility stood in Pennsylvania. However, your father-in-law’s recollections have now convinced me otherwise.

In the early days of automobile travel, filling stations, comfort stations, and roadside restaurants were often hard to find. So, as an added attraction for drivers to pull in for gas and/or some snacks or food from the adjacent store, station operators would sometime locate a few picnic tables under the trees for visitors to use.

Although I was NOT successful in finding your Thomas James in the 1930 census, I did conduct a search for someone named Davis living in the Medford/Southampton area and, sure enough, I did find an auto mechanic named Davis living in the village of Medford. I can't say for sure whether he owned the “Davis Grove” filling station, but it certainly is a possibility.

We’ll see what the research tomorrow might bring.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

A

anghew025

My father in law is 100% adament that this was definately in NJ. I mentioned about Davis Grove in PA and he insisted absolutely not. He tends to think that Davis Grove was more of a family name such as a "family farm" or "grove" type place than a city. I can not wait to see what tomorrow turns up!!!!! :dance:

Bluetick1

Dec 3, 2006
"I mentioned about Davis Grove in PA and he insisted absolutely not. He tends to think that Davis Grove was more of a family name..."

Sounds good! that makes more sense. I think I'll hang up my thinking cap for the day : ))

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
Would there be any information in Henry Bisbee's book Sign Posts; Place Names in the History of Burlington County? Sorry I do not have a copy of it, otherwise I would check myself.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The price is still listed on one side, $1.09 per gallon. I can't remember when it was that cheap but probably between 1990 and 1995? I drive Route 70 from 4 Mile Circle to Chairville every day now, and I don't see anything that resembles the two buildings in the Davis Grove picture. There has been much new development in Medford between Chairville and the prior "Medford Circle" and if there was any other older gas station it could have been demolished long ago.
Geoff

The price I was referring to is the large sign along the road.

IMG_5981.JPG

Guy

Would there be any information in Henry Bisbee's book Sign Posts; Place Names in the History of Burlington County? Sorry I do not have a copy of it, otherwise I would check myself.

Trailhead00:

I checked all of the normal place name sources—including both of Bisbee’s books—without success. While localized place names certainly exist without proper recordation, I think in this case it is as I wrote earlier: a private picnic grove for traveling motorists.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.

IMG_5981.JPG

Guy

When I was growing up, the Gibbsboro Tavern sold gas and candy out at the end of the building closest to Berlin Road. It was called Rudy's. The building was just recently demo'd.
I remember my father asking out loud with me in the car, "Who the hell would buy their gas there?
The price was 34.9c/gal. At the time, we were getting at elsewhere for 26.9c/gal.
The cheapest I can remember was Donnely's on Route 70 in Cherry Hill at 22.9c/gal

gurbanik

Mar 1, 2007
Gas sign

Guy

The opposite side of that sign still has numbers on it, but it is difficult to read whizzing by at 50mph. I traveled the route between Medford and Red Lion this afternoon and didn't discern any buildings that look like the picture. I even tried the NJDEP's known contaminated sites list to see if anything came up in that area, and not much along rt 70, but there is a site on the northwest corner of the Red Lion circle. BTW, that interactive map will also show historic aerials back to 1930.
Geoff

A

anghew025

I even tried the NJDEP's known contaminated sites list to see if anything came up in that area,

I tried that too and all I got was Chairville :mad: What a mystery eh? What interactive map are you referring to? I would like to try it out.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=7388939650142975785,39.887486,-74.663164&q=Fire+Ln+S+%4039.887486,+-74.663164&sll=39.887603,-74.662614&sspn=0.003663,0.006609&ie=UTF8&ll=39.888303,-74.663172&spn=0.007327,0.013218&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr
Well I'm just going on what dad says and he swears that it was between those 2 places. Your photo isn't appearing though so I can't see :( I would love to see the pic. Can you either email it to me or repost it?

Okay, lets see if this works. okay it did. it is the link at the top of the post here.

A

anghew025

Thank you both very much!! :) The secret is about to unfold I just know it and it's getting exciting!! I can't wait to see what jerseyman uncovers today in his travels!!

Thank you both very much!! :) The secret is about to unfold I just know it and it's getting exciting!! I can't wait to see what jerseyman uncovers today in his travels!!

LMCFashions:

I have just returned from my travels and I am not certain I have good news. I went to the Burlington County Clerk’s Office in Mount Holly and reviewed the drawings for the planned widening of Route 40. A set of six drawings covered the distance between Medford and Red Lion Circle—all dated November 1936—and I reviewed each sheet carefully to examine the filling stations depicted. There is only one that even comes close to matching the buildings and arrangement in the photograph you provided and it is just over the Medford Township-Southampton Township line (Little Creek) in Southampton Township. Here is a scan from the New Jersey State Highway Department drawing:

Detail_from_2_of_6_November_1936.jpg

And here is where the 1953 Mount Holly, N.J. original USGS 7.5-minute topo quad shows it (I have outlined it with an orange box):

Mount_Holly_N_J_1953_detail.jpg

This location and its still extant buildings are the same ones that appears in Teegate's photo, so unless someone rebuilt the house and the office with a Jerkinhead roof (possible, but not likely), this is not the filling station and residence you are seeking. Note that the blueprint copy indicates the dwelling is a one-story bungalow, which, again, matches Teegate’s photo. So unless the photograph you provided dates to either an earlier period (likely) or a period subsequent to the drawing’s date of November 1936 (not likely), your filling station was located elsewhere. This is not just a function of raising or lowering the roof line on the house. In point of fact, these are two entirely different dwellings and office buildings.

Unfortunately, I did not have time to check the other sections east and west of the Medford-Red Lion section I did examine, so perhaps Woodjin may be correct on his identification of the location. If I travel to Mount Holly next week, I will try to take another look. Meanwhile, see if your father-in-law can hone his memories a bit more.

Sorry things are still ambiguous.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jerseyman,

You went above and beyond the call of duty on this one. Nice work! Did you see anything interesting on the Cow Tunnels or anything else?

Could the station have been where the Sunoco was at 70 and Evesboro Medford Road?

Guy

Jerseyman,

You went above and beyond the call of duty on this one. Nice work! Did you see anything interesting on the Cow Tunnels or anything else?

Could the station have been where the Sunoco was at 70 and Evesboro Medford Road?

Guy

Thanks, Guy! Based on where I was coming from, it was not a real big deal to stop off in Mount Holly. The biggest hassle was just getting through the metal detectors, but I left my change, nail clipper, and pocket knife in the truck. So, it was not too difficult—just a bit of an inconvenience. Unfortunately, my time was limited, so I could not check the other sections in Evesham Township and in Southampton Township. Maybe next week if I have another reason to go to the clerk's office.

I did not see anything concerning the cow tunnels on the 1936 drawings; I recollect the state construct them on the next wave of Route 40/70 improvements as the relatively low flow of traffic in the 1930s would not have warranted such extravagancies. I don’t recall whether any of the cow tunnels pre-date the 1950s—do you?

It’s possible the filling station stood where the Sunoco was later built, but it is hard to say right now.

For the moment, the mystery remains unsolved, but I suspect it will be resolved in the near future! :)

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks, Guy! Based on where I was coming from, it was not a real big d
I did not see anything concerning the cow tunnels on the 1936 drawings; I recollect the state construct them on the next wave of Route 40/70 improvements as the relatively low flow of traffic in the 1930s would not have warranted such extravagancies. I don’t recall whether any of the cow tunnels pre-date the 1950s—do you?

They date back to 1931. You can see the date in the cement.

cow.JPG

Guy