Where was Davis Grove?

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
He didn't have that place long after all that hard work building it.

I wonder when the picture was taken. The pump style dates to the early to mid 20's. The station was sold in 1932. I would guess that if the station were built in the early 20's, the longest Davis could have owned it would be for about 10 years.

It's possible the pumps predate the buildings. Maybe Davis bought an existing station (with the older pumps already installed) and improved it by adding the newer construction later.

This has been a very enjoyable mystery (and thread). Jerseyman has again shown the value of going to the original sources.

---
Edited to add - I shouldn't post in the morning before my first cup of coffee. I should not have said the longest Davis could have owned it was 10 years; what I should have said was the pumping station may have pre-dated Davis's ownership by up to about 10 years.

Well, this shows that one should never blow off the memories of older folks. They will be right most of the time. Again, nice going Jerseyman!

I would assume that since the state owned quite a bit of land on that side of the road, they forced everyone along the edge to move on even though they never really widened the road. Looking over that area if the map is North up it would not be Burrs Mill Road that this was at. It had to be one of the roads coming in on an angle. Maybe Beebe Lane?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.888839,-74.654318&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

There are a few others in that area where it may also have been. Jerseyman, are those mile markers on the map? If so they don't add up from where 70 starts.

Guy

Guy:

Thanks and amen on not discounting the memories of the older folks! While oral history has its bounds, it remains part of a comprehensive approach to documenting the past.

Yes, I think we are talking Beebe Lane.

They are not mile markers, Guy—they are survey station points, which, I am sure, RednekF350 could discuss in great detail!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

I agree with oji, this has truly been a great read. Reminds me of when they used to say "Tune in tomorrow for another episode of..." My thanks to all involved for an uplifting read, and kudos to Ben for creating a place where things like this can happen. It speaks volumes for the webmaster and the people who post on this site.

Now if we can find some aerial photos of Giants Stadium.....

Banjo:

I concur—this has truly been a lot of fun for me. I’m just glad I had other reasons to visit the Burlington County Clerk’s Office to find the information!!

Cheers to you, Ben! :guinness:

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Interestingly, this area is very very close to my original guess (which was entirely a guess). If not for the designation of "North side of route40/70" I would have thought that was it. There are quite a few clearings of sorts around this area of the highway. Great work Jerseyman!!

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! Yes, I thought this was close-by the area you described, although I knew it was on the opposite side of the road.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Jerseyman, remind me to never commit a crime in your neighborhood. You are awesome. People like you are a treasure.

Bob:

I am humbled by your words and I thank you for them. To be perfectly honest, there are times when I feel like a Sherlock Holmes while researching a place or topic. Currently, I am conducting research on a small Black church in Mount Laurel Township and I am totally amazed at all of the misinformation that been published about the edifice—particularly with all of the true documentation available. Nobody has bothered looking for it and previous authors have just made up things to fit their perceived scenario of the history.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

I wonder when the picture was taken. The pump style dates to the early to mid 20's. The station was sold in 1932. I would guess that if the station were built in the early 20's, the longest Davis could have owned it would be for about 10 years.

It's possible the pumps predate the buildings. Maybe Davis bought an existing station (with the older pumps already installed) and improved it by adding the newer construction later.

This has been a very enjoyable mystery (and thread). Jerseyman has again shown the value of going to the original sources.

Enoch:

I think the photograph dates to sometime between 1932 and 1938. Trailhead00 found a website that appears to date the “Gulf” sign to 1936 or after.

I agree with you—I think the pumps and small office building/store predate the house, which is why the pumps are from and earlier era. The fellow named Kennedy owned this lot and other properties for investment purposes, so I suspect a previous lessee constructed the small building. Gulf Oil probably owned the pumps, so Davis would have struck a agreement with the oil company to continue dispensing their product and Gulf would leave the pumps in place.

Primary source documentation is ALWAYS the best and surest path to the truth. Obviously, more information here would eliminate much of the positing produced in this thread.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

A

anghew025

To All;
When my wife asked me if she could take a picture of what is one of my prized family possessions and to post a question on this forum about it, I said "OK, why not?". I, quite frankly, had very little faith in recieving an answer from anyone.
Yet, in a length of time-less than TWO WEEKS-that literally stuns me, I type this note to you all;amazed, fascinated, shocked, and above all else, humbled, honored, touched, and not to say the least, a much smarter person.
I got on the computer after work yesterday and saw what I saw and words could not describe how I felt. I never thought I would ever see an answer, that Davis Grove was lost to a photograph and the ages. It has taken me this past day to be able to come up with some words to type in gratitude for all the effort that you great people have put forth. I wish I could name all of you, but you know who you all are in this mystery- TeeGate and ESPECIALLY Jerseyman- not only am I forever indebted, but if I ever get to meet any of you, you are forever welcome at the dinner table in my home. Lord only knows, I probably already have crossed paths with some of you.
When my Aunt, my fathers sister, passed on in Nov. 2006, she left my father as the last link between me and his youth. What used to be enjoyable and fun stories to hear from his past now bring on a touch of sorrow and heartache for him. It becomes difficult for me to try and dig a litttle in his mind to hear those stories and record them for posterity. Such was the case with the Davis Grove mystery. But with my wife and I finding this forum, this website and you fantastic people, I might just be able to unlock some other questions of my families past that I might not be able to get from my father. I can just picture the whole lot of you sitting in a hall somewhere trading stories and discoveries. If there is such a place, I would love to sit in to one of those bull sessions. I might even be able to bring a 71 year old man, who might delight for the first time in a long time, swapping his past without it being a little painful. This family name that I have been blessed with and cherish-that being the Tuckerton Cranmers- means everything to me. I have two sons who I have been blessed to be able to pass that name onto. Hopefully, through their grandfather, and now, you wonderful people, along with myself they will learn what it means to be a Cranmer.
Jerseyman, to you, I am in your debt. Thank you,sir. You amazed me-and, taught me- with your selflessness in your diligence to seek out answers to this question that, quite frankly, you didnt even have to bother with. Sherlock Holmes? No sir. Mr. Holmes, aint got nothing on you! My wife and I taked it over, and as a very small show of my gratitude for what you done, I would love to be able to either send or present you with a small token of our esteem. If their is a way to do that, please let my wife and I know. Or, if any of you all have something that I can do to show you my gratitude, please dont hesitate to ask. May the good Lord, watch over you all. A Thousand Thank You's!

Forever indebted to you all, I am...

Douglas M. Cranmer
Tuckerton

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Doug,

That place where we all sit around with BS sessions is right here, and we hope you continue to post. You can see by the amount of traffic that the interest to it was high. So it is us that should thank you for making our day a little more interesting, and for letting a little secret of the pines escape. Your wife's curiosity and eventual post of that photo has added a little history to the pines that even our Google (Jerseyman) did not know. That is saying something as I am sure you now know.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, this has been quite a story, and once again Jerseyman gives us amateurs a lesson in the value of original sources and actual paper records. Well done, sir!

So true, but there is something to say about just throwing idea's, suggestions, opinions, etc out there which could and has helped us solve some of our toughest mysteries. The accumulative collaboration of all of the members is what makes this site work.

Guy

So true, but there is something to say about just throwing idea's, suggestions, opinions, etc out there which could and has helped us solve some of our toughest mysteries. The accumulative collaboration of all of the members is what makes this site work.

Guy

Guy:

Thank you for putting this effort into its proper perspective. While I may have done the legwork and identified the proper drawing depicting the Davis Grove filling station, everyone who posted in this thread played a role in uncovering the proper identification and location of this place. As anyone who reads the entire thread will note, I was ready to write off the original photograph that LMCFashions first posted as being located in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania near Willow Grove. It is only because of her insistence about her father-in-law's reminiscences and the subsequent banter, positing, and speculation by the members here that drew me back into to this mystery again and again and encouraged me to continue my aspect of the work until we reached a resolution.

Ultimately it is everyone working together collaboratively that such a mystery can be solved. So, congratulations to each and everyone of you who contributed to this thread. We all did it—together!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Doug,

That place where we all sit around with BS sessions is right here, and we hope you continue to post. You can see by the amount of traffic that the interest to it was high. So it is us that should thank you for making our day a little more interesting, and for letting a little secret of the pines escape. Your wife's curiosity and eventual post of that photo has added a little history to the pines that even our Google (Jerseyman) did not know. That is saying something as I am sure you now know.

Guy

Guy:

I wholeheartedly concur with your sentiments. Nothing like a good mystery to liven up the forums and generate a high level of interest!! And despite being perceived as your Google, I learn new things every day and will never stop such an important “programming” activity!! I guess you could say I am still a beta version!! :) :) :)

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
This is what makes running this place so worth it.

I keep the lights on, but the people who come here to visit make this place what it is. I'm in debt to everyone here who posts and shares their questions and answers.

Thanks, everyone!

To All;
When my wife asked me if she could take a picture of what is one of my prized family possessions and to post a question on this forum about it, I said "OK, why not?". I, quite frankly, had very little faith in recieving an answer from anyone.
Yet, in a length of time-less than TWO WEEKS-that literally stuns me, I type this note to you all;amazed, fascinated, shocked, and above all else, humbled, honored, touched, and not to say the least, a much smarter person.
I got on the computer after work yesterday and saw what I saw and words could not describe how I felt. I never thought I would ever see an answer, that Davis Grove was lost to a photograph and the ages. It has taken me this past day to be able to come up with some words to type in gratitude for all the effort that you great people have put forth. I wish I could name all of you, but you know who you all are in this mystery- TeeGate and ESPECIALLY Jerseyman- not only am I forever indebted, but if I ever get to meet any of you, you are forever welcome at the dinner table in my home. Lord only knows, I probably already have crossed paths with some of you.
When my Aunt, my fathers sister, passed on in Nov. 2006, she left my father as the last link between me and his youth. What used to be enjoyable and fun stories to hear from his past now bring on a touch of sorrow and heartache for him. It becomes difficult for me to try and dig a litttle in his mind to hear those stories and record them for posterity. Such was the case with the Davis Grove mystery. But with my wife and I finding this forum, this website and you fantastic people, I might just be able to unlock some other questions of my families past that I might not be able to get from my father. I can just picture the whole lot of you sitting in a hall somewhere trading stories and discoveries. If there is such a place, I would love to sit in to one of those bull sessions. I might even be able to bring a 71 year old man, who might delight for the first time in a long time, swapping his past without it being a little painful. This family name that I have been blessed with and cherish-that being the Tuckerton Cranmers- means everything to me. I have two sons who I have been blessed to be able to pass that name onto. Hopefully, through their grandfather, and now, you wonderful people, along with myself they will learn what it means to be a Cranmer.
Jerseyman, to you, I am in your debt. Thank you,sir. You amazed me-and, taught me- with your selflessness in your diligence to seek out answers to this question that, quite frankly, you didnt even have to bother with. Sherlock Holmes? No sir. Mr. Holmes, aint got nothing on you! My wife and I taked it over, and as a very small show of my gratitude for what you done, I would love to be able to either send or present you with a small token of our esteem. If their is a way to do that, please let my wife and I know. Or, if any of you all have something that I can do to show you my gratitude, please dont hesitate to ask. May the good Lord, watch over you all. A Thousand Thank You's!

Forever indebted to you all, I am...

Douglas M. Cranmer
Tuckerton

Doug:

The greatest token of appreciation you can give all of those who participated in this effort is to continue posting messages in these forums! With the familial history embodied in your surname, you can provide a unique perspective on many topics discussed here.

And then there’s the fact that you are from Tuckerton—oops, sorry LARGO, didn’t mean to make you homesick!

In any case, Doug—just because you have obtained a resolution on your mystery is no reason to make yourself scarce here. You are truly among friends—as has just been demonstrated to you!

So, take off your coat, throw another piece of wood in the pot-belly stove, pull up a cracker barrel and sit down at the checkerboard to participate in these ongoing discussions covering a wide-range of topics!! You will not be sorry you did!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net

Guy

Yes, all true. I merely mean to point out that when there is a question that needs an answer, very often that answer isn't on the web for lazybones like me to find.

I want Google Books to cover every slip of public paper there is :).

Yes, all true. I merely mean to point out that when there is a question that needs an answer, very often that answer isn't on the web for lazybones like me to find.

I want Google Books to cover every slip of public paper there is :).

Mark:

You are correct! While digitization projects are ongoing at a rapid pace, there is so much material out there to be scanned that I do not think our generation will ever out-live the need for good old-fashioned research using paper-based source material. Besides, the chase is often better than the catch and examining handwritten documents is a thrill unto itself. The ink, the tactile experience of the laid cotton-fibre paper and the scent of old leather-bound libers all contribute to the joy of examining primary source material. Finding a document that applies directly to your inquiry and knowing that no one else who has walked the same research path has viewed that information adds dramatically to the excitement of the hunt! It is just one of the numerous reasons I chose the role and career path of a historian!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So Jerseyman, did you uncover anything else by chance in the documents? Did you go east of the gas station?

Guy

So Jerseyman, did you uncover anything else by chance in the documents? Did you go east of the gas station?

Guy

Guy:

I have now examined every drawing for Route 40 in Burlington County and also west to Kings Highway in Camden County. I noted numerous service stations, farmsteads, dwellings, roadstands, and eating establishments along the roadway during my research. Obviously, I only photocopied sections of the maps that applied to Davis Grove and the filling station in Chairville.

Is there something special you are seeking? Keep in mind that the drawings only include structures standing north or south within approximately 100 feet or less from the edge of the highway.

Best regards,
Jerseyman