Wolfspider found the W.P. 1700 stone!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
"As a guess, I would say you have stumbled on one of the markers from Beach Haven to the Upper Delaware, marking the division between East Jersey and West Jersey. As it happens, I have a regular monthly meeting with the Surveyor General, and will ask him. Sometimes he can't make it, so keep me reminded if I don't write back. Did you photograph it?"

Wolfspider,

Unfortunately, the WP1700 stone is not one of the stone for the division line between between East and West Jersey. That was the Lawrence Line, and I have visited or found all of the known stones from this line. The Lawrence Line goes from Egg Harbor through the Warren Grove area and up through Ft. Dix.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Wolfspider,

Unfortunately, the WP1700 stone is not one of the stone for the division line between between East and West Jersey. That was the Lawrence Line, and I have visited or found all of the known stones from this line. The Lawrence Line goes from Egg Harbor through the Warren Grove area and up through Ft. Dix.

Guy

Didn't it stop at the Raritan River?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Lawrence Line ends exactly one mile below the Dingmans Ferry Bridge at the Delaware River. In 1819 a surveyor named Ryerson placed a bunch of stones at the high water mark in 1819, and obviously when looked for about 10 years ago they were gone. All that is there today is a line of property monument. There are 5 known early deeds specifying the final point of the Lawrence Line dating back as far as 1775.The actual mileage distance from the beginning to this point is 116.496 miles. Much more is known about the northern section of the line that down here. With the lines beginnings in the pines barrens you can pretty much see why.

The Dingmans Bridge

http://www.dingmansbridge.com/

Guy

Didn't it stop at the Raritan River?

Ben:

It is the Keith Line that stopped at the Raritan River. The later Lawrence line went through to the Delaware River on a different, more northerly trajectory. You can find some discussion of the two lines here:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=3249

I have been mulling over the initials on the 1700 stone again since wolfspider05 revived this thread. I still cannot say with certainty that the “WP” stands for William Penn, but a very good educated guess of the “JM 1742” would be the Great John Mathis, based on an interpolation of a collection of diverse data. When time permits, I will search for a deed or an entry in the SGO's record books. Meanwhile, put John Mathis in your pipes and smoke it for a while; I think you will find the aroma leading you in the same direction!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben:

It is the Keith Line that stopped at the Raritan River. The later Lawrence line went through to the Delaware River on a different, more northerly trajectory. You can find some discussion of the two lines here:

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=3249

I have been mulling over the initials on the 1700 stone again since wolfspider05 revived this thread. I still cannot say with certainty that the “WP” stands for William Penn, but a very good educated guess of the “JM 1742” would be the Great John Mathis, based on an interpolation of a collection of diverse data. When time permits, I will search for a deed or an entry in the SGO's record books. Meanwhile, put John Mathis in your pipes and smoke it for a while; I think you will find the aroma leading you in the same direction!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

It may well be John Mathis it is refering to, however, as we have discussed before it may have been put there many years later. I think if we found out the stone was placed there in the 1700's we would enjoy his find even more.

Guy

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I just emailed Pete from the Bass River historical society, hopefully he may know something about the stone. John Mathis seems like it would be a perfect match, thats for sure.

They have alot of good information about the pines and wading river area on thier website, I didn't know that Joseph Wharton owned the Fish Factory for a time. If you haven't checked it out here is a link http://bassriver-nj.org/history/-historical-articles.php

Enjoy

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Well the now I know the names, it isn't William Penn, it is William Pancoast! The JM is John Mathis!! I emailed him back about the possiblity of more, now I need to find out more information on who Mr Pancoast was. Also if I can find out when the stone was placed there, that would probably be tough.

This is the email Pete just sent me

Don,

I'm familiar with the marker. Attached are two photos, one of each side of the marker. They were taken in 2002. The JM is for John Mathis and the WP is for William Pancoast. It is a marker from an old survey.

Blessings.

Pete

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
There is a Pancoast blvd. here in Delran, my great grandpop would tell me stories of "old man Pancoast loading his shotgun with rock salt for whoever trespassed on his farm that wasn't supposed to be there", maybe there is a relation to him to I wonder.

I am wondering if this stone is predated, and Pancoast died in 1742 then who would of predated it? Mathis perhaps?

Mudtrudger

Feb 4, 2009
Coastal Monmouth
I was out walking today and found the W.P.1700 stone. Do any of you who are familiar with the stone know anything about the rounded topped mound about 15 yards from it?

It looks totally out of place as a natural land form.

Jay

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I was out walking today and found the W.P.1700 stone. Do any of you who are familiar with the stone know anything about the rounded topped mound about 15 yards from it?

It looks totally out of place as a natural land form.

Jay

I, too, have noticed this mound and wondered about it. I found the stone in '08 and got some great info through this thread. Funny that it never crossed my mind to ask about the mound before now.

I have noticed similar mounds in many areas in the pines and always wondered and surmised what they were, really.

So to all of the fabulous historians on here, you guys are unbelievably awesome (suck-up, suck-up), if you have any info on this......

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would have to assume you are referring to the rise in the ground where the cross is. I did not look it over in detail but it did not seem out of place to me.

Cross.JPG

Guy

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
That is what I assumed we were talking about...at least it is what I was talking about.

But that is not the only mound I have found while exploring.

I always surmised that they were man made, but never knew why...

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I wonder if they could be Indian burial mounds. More likely they may have piled dirt to mark the locations to help them find the areas upon return?

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
You may want to ask Pete from the Bass River Historical Society, we may know something about the mounds. I didn't know that the stone was inscribed on both sides until he told me. He knows his stuff when it comes to that area.

fir469

Mar 19, 2010
There is also a Pancoast Mills Rd aptly named after the mill that stood there in Buena Twp.