Your Forest Under Attack: MAP Misinformation from the DEP

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I think woodjin made a good point about the advantage of patrolling the hot spots over patrolling the main roads. Besides, the police will still have to patrol many of the closed roads. I hope you see where I'm coming from in opposing the sweeping closures.

I'll let you know when I play at Howell's next. Do you have any relation to that family?

If I were a Park Policeman I would want to patrol the back areas. That would be the best part of the job. You would get to ride the entire Wharton Tract and get paid for doing so, it don't get any better than that. Has to be better than setting somewhere in a car all day.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
A token attempt at throwing a bone to pacify the public meeting.

If anybody thinks that the DEP really cares about your opinion, I've got a bridge to sell you. If they truly did care to get public input they would have had stakeholder meetings long before they got caught closing the roads.

JeepWagoneer

Scout
Jul 31, 2015
Medford NJ
A token attempt at throwing a bone to pacify the public meeting.

If anybody thinks that the DEP really cares about your opinion, I've got a bridge to sell you. If they truly did care to get public input they would have had stakeholder meetings long before they got caught closing the roads.

All I can say is for the first time ever I feel one of my local elected officials is looking out for me by opposing this.
It will take awhile but I think this is an issue that I want to know where my state and local officials stand and what they've done about it come election time.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It will take awhile but I think this is an issue that I want to know where my state and local officials stand and what they've done about it come election time.

Eveyrone here needs to take a good look at where the candidates you are going to vote for stand on this issue. As election time comes we need to pass along information as to who has what stand.

Tony

Scout
Jul 30, 2015
Folsom
While do people add dirt bikes to the list when showing damaged that is clearly being done by large 4 wheel
Drive vehicles I don't get it. Do you think we like riding through 3 foot deep mud holes. I don't think so.
So please get your stories straight before posting.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
While do people add dirt bikes to the list when showing damaged that is clearly being done by large 4 wheel
Drive vehicles I don't get it. Do you think we like riding through 3 foot deep mud holes. I don't think so.
So please get your stories straight before posting.

What post are you replying to? Tell me the number that is on the right side of the post.

Tony

Scout
Jul 30, 2015
Folsom
Sorry I been on a few forums that have been showing damage caused by 4 wheel vehicles and always add motorcycles in the mix. So I posted to this forum by mistake.

Aug 28, 2012
Jackson, NJ
Had this conversation (page 1 of this thread) taken place on Jason Howell's Facebook Pine Barrens (Public group 78K members) page he would have blocked you from that page like he did me. Jason doesn't want any competition on HIS page. "
  • Increase awareness and interpretation of the impacts motorized recreation can have on the Forest resources.
It’s true: The MAP brochure shows some pretty grim images of off-road devastation which are totally inflammatory and do not represent the impact that the majority of the people who drive on Wharton’s sand roads and trails have." Posting pictures of off-road devastation is one thing, Proving that devastation occurred in Wharton is another. I don't know how to do it, but I would love to see this MAP superimposed over the 1800's historical topo maps. I have a feeling that many of the proposed roads for closure are roads that have been around for a very long time. But Jason says these topo's are wrong, roads never existed, or should have never been put on the topo. Frankly his arguments sound like Obamacare.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Had this conversation (page 1 of this thread) taken place on Jason Howell's Facebook Pine Barrens (Public group 78K members) page he would have blocked you from that page like he did me. Jason doesn't want any competition on HIS page. "
  • Increase awareness and interpretation of the impacts motorized recreation can have on the Forest resources.
It’s true: The MAP brochure shows some pretty grim images of off-road devastation which are totally inflammatory and do not represent the impact that the majority of the people who drive on Wharton’s sand roads and trails have." Posting pictures of off-road devastation is one thing, Proving that devastation occurred in Wharton is another. I don't know how to do it, but I would love to see this MAP superimposed over the 1800's historical topo maps. I have a feeling that many of the proposed roads for closure are roads that have been around for a very long time. But Jason says these topo's are wrong, roads never existed, or should have never been put on the topo. Frankly his arguments sound like Obamacare.

Oh, he preemptively blocked me from the Pine Barrens page a few weeks ago. I haven't banned him from here, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You can switch between the 1900 topo and the 2015 and 2023 MAP proposals on https://maps.njpinebarrens.com

I don't see how this compares to the ACA but let's not get into that here.

Reactions: TommyP